Skateboard anyone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windsurfer

Reaction score
I've noticed on a few threads that there seem to be a few Ol' Skool Skaters so I thought I'd start a thread on it. Post pics (if you can, I tried).
Just for fun.

I've been skating since I was 11 and I'm 33 now, I'm totally obsessed by it. I'm even devoting my Bus to the skate style with lots of Independent goodies.

So come on, lets hear some skating stories etc. My favourite deck was my Mike V Powell with the Elephant on. Really interested!

p.s. If anyone can help me, I'll post some cool pics!

i've still got my Jeff Philips BBC deck with oldskool gullwing trucks and Toxic vert wheels (1990) :lol:

only really get to do a bit of cruising on a long board now :(

but its better than no skating at all 8) i love collecting old skool stickers now e,g screaming hand, powell ripper etc

copy you picks onto photobucket then copy and paste the http link on to your post

BMXer myself. started out in-lineing. do abit of skating but im shatapank and dont have enough patience. :lol:

f**kin plank pushers :lol: :p

don't get me wrong i love a bmx 8)

i often go over the park and terrorise the chavs on my tuff burner or super burner

Image118.jpg

bike.jpg

dagboyblue said:
don't get me wrong i love a bmx 8)

i often go over the park and terrorise the chavs on my tuff burner or super burner

Image118.jpg

bike.jpg

Why can't I upload pictures? It's not fair LOL

I've skated from the age of 11 and i'm now 34, used to good now shite.
Rebuilt a powell deck i had when i was about 14.... searched for the component for years and finally assembled it all a few weeks backThe wheels were the hardest to find eventually got some, nos 97a powell t-bones in white imho the don of 80's skate wheels.

Bought one of those plastic boards with clear wheels Stateside around 1977 and got hooked.
Moved onto better boards and hung around Southbank, skate city and Meanwhile gardens in London.
Last board I had was a Jeremy Henderson Deck with Tracker trucks and yellow YoYos.
Gave it up when I discovered scooters in 79 :roll:

Feels so long ago, especially as my wife was born in 77 :oops:

slimeballs where cool , i went on to rat bone's then toxics for the 1/2 pipes then realised i was shit on the big ramps

i'll have to get pics up of my jeff phillips its got old skool grab rails and kick protector along with some battle damage

by the way nice air dude 8)

Cheers, how's this for old skool. This deck was brand new with the works, after a few weeks I tool everything apart from the rails off.
With my later decks I didn't even bother!

Scan1.jpg

Scan19.jpg

I haven't skated for God knows how long, probably since before some of you were born! And I was never any good back then! But, I still have my (custom made, went to the shop) 27'' West Country deck with Tracker fulltracks and 65mm radius edge blue Kryptonics. Still got the 'Alva' sticker underneath. Did have my G&S Fibreflex with ACS 530 trucks and some red wheels I cant remember the name of, but can't find it, gotta be somewhere. We did some displays for the local press/council, had the newspaper cuttings until my folks moved and stuff got binned, I think along with my Norcon helmet and Cooper pads. Do these names mean anything to you youngsters, Tony Alva, Gordon & Smith, Bones, Sims, Gullwing, Skatecity, God seems like a lifetime ago but I suppose it is a generation (or more) ago. Someone posted a 'how old are we' thread, that now this and I feel decidedly geriatric! Thinking about the cost, my first proper board (G&S, ACS etc) was not cheap. The price was rounded down to £100, enough for a board now, but in 1977/8, a damn sight more than my Dad earned in a week! Lot of paper rounds and 'butchers boy' on Saturdays! Gotta go now, time to collect my pension if this dodgy hip will let me.....

Pete B said:
I haven't skated for God knows how long, probably since before some of you were born! And I was never any good back then! But, I still have my (custom made, went to the shop) 27'' West Country deck with Tracker fulltracks and 65mm radius edge blue Kryptonics. Still got the 'Alva' sticker underneath. Did have my G&S Fibreflex with ACS 530 trucks and some red wheels I cant remember the name of, but can't find it, gotta be somewhere. We did some displays for the local press/council, had the newspaper cuttings until my folks moved and stuff got binned, I think along with my Norcon helmet and Cooper pads. Do these names mean anything to you youngsters, Tony Alva, Gordon & Smith, Bones, Sims, Gullwing, Skatecity, God seems like a lifetime ago but I suppose it is a generation (or more) ago. Someone posted a 'how old are we' thread, that now this and I feel decidedly geriatric! Thinking about the cost, my first proper board (G&S, ACS etc) was not cheap. The price was rounded down to £100, enough for a board now, but in 1977/8, a damn sight more than my Dad earned in a week! Lot of paper rounds and 'butchers boy' on Saturdays! Gotta go now, time to collect my pension if this dodgy hip will let me.....

G & S was my first proper deck, think I know the red wheels you mean, about 2" wide and wore out in about a week :evil:
Was indeed an expensive pastime, I remember my first pair of Vans being about £30 a fortune 30 years ago.

Pete B said:

Brings back some memories. Vans trainers, gullwing trucks, bones, OJ's, etc
Broke my nose when I hit a raised slab on the pavement. Next day I bought a Cooper helmet from an outdoor shop who were selling them for canoeing. About half the price the skate shops were charging.
There was only one skatepark in Bristol, built by the council in Bedminster in the mid seventies if I remember rightly, right on the other side of town from where I lived.

Dude, I'm only 33 but of course I know the names. Tony Alva was a god and I grew up wanting to be part of the Bones Brigade. I remember all the old Videos, Animal Chin, Natas, H street etc. I started skating in about 85 but watched a lot of the old movies, going down hills with hand slides, through cones and sick bowl jumps. Skatings changed so much to a certain extent (technically) but if you watch a video from 88/89 (e.g. Hocus Pocus), these guys were super good.

I had Gordon and Smith trucks (I think) before I went onto Independent.

Like I said earlier in my thread, my Bus will be THE Skate Bus!. :mrgreen:

Check out the Vision Street Wear Hi-Tops. I loved those boots, think you can get re-pros.

Scan13.jpg

Come on people, I WANT TO SEE SOME OF YOUR PICTURES!

I wasn't into skateboards :| well I had a rollerskate with a piece of wood screwed to it
that we used to sit on and ride down the middle of the street :shock:
When I was 16 i worked for a plastic injection moulding firm making waste pipes etc,
One night I went in and the fitters had fitted a new mould to my machine ,and it was making
Alleycat skate board decks. ;)

Latest posts