slammed earlys, lets see them and who's the lowest ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt Maz said:
Think John has to be the final winner :D

Mine is 46.5cm at the front and 40cm at the rear!

518735c7-61ab-9030.jpg

518735c7-61b9-c43b.jpg
i dont believe it for a minute that you are admitting defeat, think we should have a static only group and a cheats group,

do all slammed bays have notches (only the red bay owner has indicated it has none)?

Is anyone still on ball joints or are all running a t1 or k&l conversion beams with dropped spindles?

I really want to slam my early bay single cab pickup, but with the best possibly ride quality, without notches and rather safe as those upside down mounted ball joints give me some mixed feelings...

Hey dude
don't worry bout the upside down ball jointy thingys there safe as safe could be no chance the ball joint popping out with an interference fit an a massive circlip holding them in :)

Mines ball jointed no notches up front an if id chosen small radius tyres at the rear wouldntt have them there either an there only small ones for the drive shafts anyway think i used a 3" internal diameter tube with a wall thickness of 5mm so ain't going no were :)

Only downside i "think" with ball joint an not kinky linky is you can't go as low with ball joint as the beam hit the floor But i may just be wrong an the linky boys scrap just as much too..

The ride in mine is a hell of a lot better than stock (minus the seat raise for tubs) alto smoother an lots less body roll i like it more anyways :)

Dave

thanks for the quick reply, your early is pretty slammed, considering the wheel arches to ground height, some other early bays here aren't much lower but do have massive notches :)

but about the Ball joints, I wasn't afraid the 'cup' would leave the trailing arm, more that the ball would leave the cup, as normally there's pressure on the ball and not a constant pulling force on the cup
Ball_joint_cross_section.jpg

If I've made up my mind, I'll post some pictures of my slammed pickup :)

I personally have run ball joints at a 5 inch drop which Imho is just on the limit of safe , Some people do run them lower BUT I have seen them snap on a bus at 60 mph , its very scary .
Personally I dont like flipped ball joints , I doesnt matter who makes or sells them the precision engineer in me tells me that they should be the right way up. The flipped balljoint design comes originally from Slammed panel a company in Holland over 12 years ago and they used to put three large tack welds on the balljoints to stop them pulling through .
If you want to go low and safely then King an Linkpin is the only way , You dont have to have massive notches in fact You dont need to notch anything if you dont wish to but , with link pin then the ride is smoother and there is no binding , i.e when the the balljoint hits full travel and trys to exit the cup.......

These people will help you with all the parts you need , not only that they can fit them too

www.slamwerks.co.uk

Tell em Gadget sent you ;)

I know what you mean but there's no way it can get past unless its severely worn the pressure of the casing won't allow the ball threw the hole because it can't increase so will stay at home inside.... but look forward to the pics :)

Jack I personally have taken the balljoint beam off a bus that is on this forum, The bus was down 5 to 6 inches and up on hitting the upper arm with a hammer to draw it out of the beam the entire ball joint and cup/holder fell out of the upper arm. The balljoints werent a year old ....... I personally wouldnt run a balljoint set up on a slammed bus mate :shock: :(

Gadget

when you say down 5"-6" is that just on the beam or spindles too??
I understand what you mean got a mates bus in to fix a squeak on it... to find a split in the arm that had been welded up after someone had replaced a ball joint... but i cant see how a correctly installed ball joint standard/flipped can fall out as they need a press to press them in.. also the flipped have an internal circlip so cant physically fall out...

dave

How does it work driving with the beam this narrow to the ground?
I wonder because mine have the similar hight on it´s highest setting :?
P1020761.jpg

BUSPICCYS051.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/428659_10150521852995969_71123955968_9370069_671089339_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thats got me all sad period :mrgreen:

john the horse

john the horse said:
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/428659_10150521852995969_71123955968_9370069_671089339_n.jpg

john the horse

Seen that earlier gunna look bad ass on them ain't it your still lower ain't you John?

Rob

Rob b said:
john the horse said:
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/428659_10150521852995969_71123955968_9370069_671089339_n.jpg

john the horse

Seen that earlier gunna look bad ass on them ain't it your still lower ain't you John?

Rob

dont think so rob thats abody dropped and i reckon its runnin the same system as me ( if it is i wonder if my remote will work on that !!!) , reckon they runnin that coz it was so low to be vertually unusable as is my understanding,

jth

john the horse said:
Rob b said:
john the horse said:

john the horse

Rob

dont think so rob thats abody dropped and i reckon its runnin the same system as me ( if it is i wonder if my remote will work on that !!!) , reckon they runnin that coz it was so low to be vertually unusable as is my understanding,

jth

I remember them building it last year for Volks world It's a wicked bus the the body drop raises the front tubs that high I do think I could drive it without my head out the window Would like to have a look over a body dropped bus see what the work is like

Rob

Gadget Boy said:
Jack I personally have taken the balljoint beam off a bus that is on this forum, The bus was down 5 to 6 inches and up on hitting the upper arm with a hammer to draw it out of the beam the entire ball joint and cup/holder fell out of the upper arm. The balljoints werent a year old ....... I personally wouldnt run a balljoint set up on a slammed bus mate :shock: :(

Gadget

K&L all the way mate, I agree.... :msn4:

Thought I'd dig this thread up just cos I'm now running 15.5 inches out back static. :D

Latest posts