Slow starting

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roybird

Reaction score
I have a 72 crossover with recon engine and most things new, but takes a long time to start, once running is OK and will restart, feels like it needs a choke

Hi
Spins well, battery is good
Just before it eventually fires up it will cough a bit, then I have to catch it
I’ve had different comments about pressing the throttle, but I still do so
The engine is sound and been on rolling road, the only changes have been E10 fuel and pancake filter, although the latter was fitted before the RR

The choke could be sticking in the fully open position. I had an empi carb that had this problem so every time I wanted to restart it from cold I had to open the engine lid and push the stepped cam back to free it off.

Just to take a slightly different approach, try popping a capful of petrol down the carb before you try and start it, then see how it starts.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, then we have a point to start at.:)

Is it a still on the original carb with automatic choke?
If it is are you allowing the choke to engage before starting the engine?, in order to do this you need to turn the ignition on, 2 warning lights on your dash, press the throttle pedal down to release the choke mechanism and then release it, then turn the key to crank it, if you don't do this it doesnt set the choke.

Hope that helps, if you have aftermarket twin carbs then they usually don't have chokes fitted so can take longer to start from cold.

I have a 72 crossover with recon engine and most things new, but takes a long time to start, once running is OK and will restart, feels like it needs a choke
Hi All
Apologies for long delay.
I eventually solved the problem, via a experienced auto electrican.
He ran a check on the feed to the carb ( it needs one for the choke to work ) to make sure it was live, it was.
Then he undid the cap that covers the choke assembly as a final check, when returning the cap he noticed a tag that needs to engage with the coil inside and it was quite hard to see if it was engaged or not; it wasn't; so after some fiddling he was happy it was engaged and hey presto all is well; one press of the throttle to engage the choke and after a few turns she fires up. As suspected the choke was 'not' working and why it took so long to have it start. Now to sort out all the other adjustments I made to circumvent the issue.

Thanks for the update. It's useful information like this that helps everybody. :)

Latest posts