speedo works but the odo doesnt

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanneredmonkey

Reaction score
the sppedo in my van works, but the odo doesnt, Its not a massive drama but the MOT man raised an eyebrow.

I did hear that it can be fixed as a little plastic cog or somthing comes detatched, any one got some pictures or a how to, to do this? or will i have to see if i can find another one to replace it?

hi had this problem a few weeks ago....easy to take apart and have a look...sometimes the cogs teeth are worn..mine looked fine but just didnt work for some reason...had to get a new speedo...

Sometimes there is wear that can be fixed, other times there's damage. No way of knowing until you take it apart.

I didn't think a working speedo/odo was an MOT requirement. As long as the glass isn't cracked etc, I don't think it could fail on it.

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hijack this thread but neither the speedo or odo works on mine now. It was ok driving the other day but when i started her up for the return journey, nothing!
Is this a full cable job?
Is this easy to do and what do i need to know?

onlybayinthevillage said:
Sorry to hijack this thread but neither the speedo or odo works on mine now. It was ok driving the other day but when i started her up for the return journey, nothing!
Is this a full cable job?
Is this easy to do and what do i need to know?

Im in the same position, worked fine 1 day.....went over a speed bump....after that, nothing. Not a clue how to fix it.....some advice/knowledge would be much appreciated.

--------------------------------------Own a Bay?....... Feel the love!

onlybayinthevillage said:
Thanks Sparkywig.
Once the water has dropped and i feel like crawling rather than swimming under my van, i will check that.
No need to clamber underneath. Just pull the hubcap off.

Rich

I had the same problem, I bought a new speedo from flee bay for £25 posted, and a new speedo cable
Take out the 4 screws that hold the dash in and ever so carefully unscrew the speedo cable from the rear
Next take a picture of the rear of the dash wiring and then label each wire, the new speedo is easily replaced (just 4 bolts ) carefully replace all the wiring
Jack up front of the van take off the near side wheel
Now take the clip that holds the speedo cable to the near side wheel hub (see picture) next tie a length of string to that end, then from inside the van pull the cable ever so gently through along with the string now tie the sting to the new cable and gently pull the string back through along with the new cable from under the van the new cable will follow the original string path, put some grease on the end and push from the back of the hub into the square retaining hole put the retaining clip back on, connect the other end to the new speedo put the 4 screws back into the dash and hey presto working speedo
I did it for the first time last week and it took me about 3 hours ( I had a problem with the earth for the dash lights but everything ok now)
Good luck
Bazza

Latest posts