Starter Motor just clicking

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndugu

Reaction score
Hi i have just installed a new starter motor into my 1973 Bay window. But it is just clicking when i try to start it.

I have checked the connections to it and they are pretty secure. The only problem is that there were 2 spade connections on the original motor but the new one only space for 1 spade connection.

I tried to start the engine with a jump pack and it started quite happily.

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

I've just had this problem on mine, my solenoid was doing the usual click and nothing else and a tap with a hammer would make it fire.
I got a new solenoid put on the starter and the whole lot was bench tested. I then got the issue where the solenoid would click but the starter would not turn over.

I replaced:
Battery,
Battery to starter motor lead
Batter Earth Strap
Gearbox to body earth strap
Starter Motor Bush
And cleaned up and copper greased all the connections.

I even tried a brand new starter motor and got the same problem.

If you get a rubber or plastic handled screwdriver and short the spade terminal to the threaded terminal on the starter motor solenoid (MAKE SURE THE VAN IS IN NEUTRAL OR YOU WILL RUN YOURSELF OVER!!!!!) you might find it turns over.

This has been the case with mine and has then isolated to the problem to either the wires from solenoid to ignition switch, or a fault in the switch itself. In the mean time I have rigged up a push button switch to engage the starter. Really simple, just one wire on the spade terminal, one on the ring terminal, run it to the front to a push button switch. Turn the ignition on with the keys as normal and then hit the button to spin the starter.

ndugu said:

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

If it started with the jump pack I would suggest trying a known good battery - yours may be in need of replacement.

Thank you for your help.

Going to take my battery out tonight and charge it up

Your battery is probably knackerd get a volt meter on it check it before you turn the key and when you turn the key

StuF said:
ndugu said:

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks

If it started with the jump pack I would suggest trying a known good battery - yours may be in need of replacement.

check the leads are nice and tight and your battery is good.....south like your battery doesnt have a enough umfff

chris

The tell tale of a flat battery would be the dash lights going dim. It's probably the easiest thing to check first. It might also have a dodgy cell and not be holding charge but its not the be all and end all of starter problems. Lets not jump to conclusions.

Latest posts