Storing my bus ( when I find it )

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nesquik

Reaction score
I'm gonna store my bus in a shipping container as I don't have big enough space at home. Any recommendations on preparing in to house a bus, should I insulate and board it out.
Many thanks guys n girls...

Nesquik aka noob :D

hi i store mine in a shipping container..
all i do is chock the wheels and leave the hand brake off.
i also leave the front windows down so the air and cerculate...

there good storage in the winter,but get very very very hot in summer
hope this helps mine is a 40 foot i also keep my mk1 passat in there. :D :D

having stored many and various items in a container, i can tell you that the ones i have used REALLY suffer from bad condensation.

Not sure if boarding it out will help????

Yeah I would say condensation would be the main problem so you would need plenty of airflow(ventilation) in there & I would of thought insulating it out could be of help, or if you really want to push the boat out a dehumidifier would also help.
Never thought of storing a Bus in a shipping container seems a good idea gives me options when I next move house, I
think I would locate it in a shaded area though.
There's a housing complex in London using old shipping containers. 8) so should be easy for a Bus. :)

i would'nt we use them at work for storing stainless food factory gear in and when we nip to get spares there ringing wet, i work 2 nights and its then we pop in..4 am ish and its dripping.and electrical gear in locked panels is also wet. im sure pop in the day and it'll look fine. i would definately lag some how. cold steel and outside temps have to condensate the water in the air,its not a question of water tight.. but we do live on the coast.

I would have to say that probably the worst thing you could possibly do regarding storing your bus in the winter is to put it in a steel shipping container. As others have said, condensation is the killer, you would be so much better off (in my oppinion and experience) to just park it on the drive and allow fresh air, rain, snow etc to get all around it. On several occasions during the 'off season' I get the fan heater in there for a day or two on a low temp to clear the dampness from the interior, in a container there is no fresh dry air so moisture settles in all the box sections and seams etc..
Just my view. :D

Having worked on Container Ships i can confirm these get condensation inside. They are not totally air tight (when they go over the side and into the sea they semi float for awhile, just below the surface depending on weight until the air inside leaks out/water gets in.)
If i had to use one i would definitly add some louvered vents, long enough to stop the rain getting in, and on all sides to allow good air flow.
Like someones mentioned, cold steel box and cold damp english winters do not make good bed fellows.

I don't quite have the space for a 40 foot container in the garden :lol: so I am considering sticking a 1 foot 60w tube heater in the bus over winter to ward off condensation. The bus is under a JK cover at present.

Anybody tried this or got any thoughts?

Delilahtoo said:
I don't quite have the space for a 40 foot container in the garden :lol: so I am considering sticking a 1 foot 60w tube heater in the bus over winter to ward off condensation. The bus is under a JK cover at present.

Anybody tried this or got any thoughts?
Kev I haven't the space for a bus let alone a container- I'm storing it at work its a family business and there's plenty of space can even rig it up to mains electric maybe set up a dehumidifier

Have no where else to house it :(

Cheers again everyone :D
Nesquik

If you can't drive it through the winter then a JK cover isn't a bad way to go (if you can't cram a container into your garden :lol: ) but for those of you using one throughout the winter; remember to take if off and check everything is OK under there every week or so :D
They're waterproof, but water may well splash up from underneath and so a quick check to make sure all is well will ensure you don't have any dramas next spring

Personally, I've waxoyled my Early Bay, as I'll be driving it through the winter and I'm terrified of it rusting away with all the salt and grit and ice on the roads (JK is down a long, winding country road, which is either slick with ice or covered in half a foot of grit :roll: )

Hope this helps

Josh
Just Kampers

My JK cover never is, as been or will be waterproof. They get wetter on the inside when it rains than the outside.

clyde said:
My JK cover never is, as been or will be waterproof. They get wetter on the inside when it rains than the outside.

Couldn't agree more. Always damp inside the cover after rain.

Delilahtoo said:
clyde said:

Couldn't agree more. Always damp inside the cover after rain.

Hi there,

Sorry for the confusion caused by my last post - I meant to say that they're water resistant, not waterproof :oops:

They're made from a breathable material to allow some circulation through the fabric while it's covering your vehicle.
While the covers are designed to keep the worst of the rain off, they're also built to provide protection against a variety of other things which would damage your paint and metal work, such as tree sap and bird droppings.

I hope this clears things up a bit :)

Josh

Thanks for the clarification Josh.

You seem to have fallen in to the same trap as many buyers of the JK cover in assuming that it is waterproof but, on checking, find that it ain't. As the JK ad says, it 'provides protection from the rain' which is not necessarily the same as being waterproof. Although I might argue that it is cleverly worded to suggest that it is.

Getting back to the OP, I'd still recommend a cover in preference to a 40 foot container :D , though I'd say be clear what you want the cover to do and buy the one that matches your needs.

i reckon building a car port kind of structure might be the best bet - with a cover as well? so you get air circulation.
mine lives in the garage on a north facing side of the house, its always bloody cold in there - i did think about insulating the place and draught excluding the door, but i think the air flow may help??

:D :D thanks for your advice my friend said you can get these bags that absorb water,his buddy puts them in his caravan when it goes into storage. I'm waiting on him to find out where I can buy them.

Cheers all
Nesquik

The moisture bags are good for the inside of the van and i use them in mine over winter but they only keep the mildew/mould etc away from your curtains and inside fittings.
They wont stop it rusting on the outside etc.

JK covers must have improved then, mine gave little protection, it stopped rain getting in to the bus but that was about it. A bit like wrapping it in wet cling film for the winter. Better (marginally) than nothing I suppose but as suggested should definitely be frequently removed to dry and air paintwork.

Latest posts