The Turd, 1969 sunroof van refresh, finished and driving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the motor and transmission in today after cleaning up all of the engine bay this past week. Finished up late after dinner and took a few quick pics.

IMG_0482_zpsd6e4c6b3.jpg

IMG_0485_zps2ccd09bd.jpg

Cleaned up the garage and rolled it back in for the night, guard dog on duty
IMG_0486_zps78688458.jpg

squareweave said:
OLIVE-BAY said:
squareweave said:
Yes, I think I will spray paint it flat black and tint the windows red for a hot rod look. I might dye the interior bright red too with a mexican blanket headliner :?:

:shock: :shock: really :?:

No............... :lol: plans are to roll this all stock. I would love to slam it on early Fuchs but I just don't have the heart to notch the frame and cut the rear bump stops off this van. So stock it is with white walls, a epic detail and mechanical restoration.

Thanks goodness for that...phew! :D (Way too many vans getting chopped about for my liking)

amazing work 8)

I don't know in US, but in EU, deluxe (type24) bus were factory delivered with black wheels and Lemmerz beauty rings ;)

other question, I'm waiting for nos Boge shock absorber, they are black
are you sure green ones not come on later bus?

;)

Djoul said:
amazing work 8)

I don't know in US, but in EU, deluxe (type24) bus were factory delivered with black wheels and Lemmerz beauty rings ;)

other question, I'm waiting for nos Boge shock absorber, they are black
are you sure green ones not come on later bus?

;)

I believe all of the vans over here had white wheels, I have never seen a original paint black 14" wheel or even a 14" beauty rings dated 68 and later, but would love a NOS set. M-code does not state wheel colour. And all of the wheels on my van have the date code that corresponds to the build date of the van and they were original paint and white.

As far as the shocks go this van was quite original and unmolested when I bought it and I had the paint matched up to the shocks that I removed and they had VW symbols stamped into them and were green in colour (all 4 of them)

mike202 said:
Some awesome work going on here! I bet its great to see the motor going back in :)

It sure is! Also nice to have the space back in the garage as my garage isn't that big and the engine on the stand takes up a decent amount of room.

hello

all of my wheels are also stamped 69 and they are black (L41) ;)
arthurui5.jpg

here a extract from a brochure showing EU types2:
we can clearly see the black wheels an beauty rings on the deluxe

(click to seen bigger):

zoom (look like mine, love it...) :

I know severals European deluxe (type 24 and wheel are black too) only white wheels on imported cars... ;)

and like the beauty rings are OG on my bus and not on yours,
...the legendary NOS beauty rings set stamped 69 belong to me first... :lol:

Djoul said:
hello

all of my wheels are also stamped 69 and they are black (L41) ;)
arthurui5.jpg

here a extract from a brochure showing EU types2:
we can clearly see the black wheels an beauty rings on the deluxe

(click to seen bigger):

zoom (look like mine, love it...) :

I know severals European deluxe (type 24 and wheel are black too) only white wheels on imported cars... ;)

and like the beauty rings are OG on my bus and not on yours,
...the legendary NOS beauty rings set stamped 69 belong to me first... :lol:

Cool brochure and nice van. Has it been repainted?

Here is a few other Euro brochures that show white

5.jpg

3.jpg

Oh well, I guess both are correct

I know these other brochures, I got them too :mrgreen:

strangely in these books, it's said that deluxe models had black wheels:
Detail_books_dvd_267.jpg
03C0021C05682130-c2-photo-oYToyOntzOjE6InciO2k6OTYwO3M6NToiY29sb3IiO3M6NToid2hpdGUiO30%3D-vw-kombi-et-transporter.jpg

it's also said that beauty ring were not delivered on 1970 microbuses...

but I never saw US bus with black wheels...
as you said, both should be correct...

about my bus, it was repainted by the previous owner :(
and he need a new restoration, the sunroof make it rust... :cry:
so I'm collected NOS parts for the future restoration ;) you do the job,
I'll expect, this one will be 100% vintage, Kamax included...

I really appreciate the job you do on this bus, keep it vintage, so rare nowadays... ;)

we can't be sure viewing vw brochures, do you know that they use many time pictures of older buses, sometime they made rectifications on pictures :shock:

look at thes brochures from 69 and 71:
the sunroof deflector
the door handle
the color separation
the wheels (5x205 to 5x112)
the antenna
bumper trims (hard to see on the Internet)
mirrors (inside and outside)

maybe pictures's painting cost less than making new pictures :lol:

sorry for all this "off topic" :oops:

I got the tail lights all wired up properly and hooked up a battery. All electrical a go aside from the horn. I will trouble shoot that this week. The overhauled Emden radio sounds great , its nice to have FM and an ipod jack. So I moved onto getting the van up and running. I built up oil pressure with the coil wire off and then hooked up the coil wire and a shot of gas in the carb and it was running. I adjusted the timing and it seems to be running nice. I don't have the axles in yet so I haven't driven it yet. I am not sure if the rear suspension is bang on it may be a bit lower on the passenger side so I will get it onto nice flat ground and then check it out before adjusting anything. Here is a short video of the motor running after it had warmed up.

[photobucket] [/photobucket]

Then today I was going to remove the old grey flocked sunroof seal and clean up the glue. It was going to be an easy task that ended up taking me a better part of the day. Tedious work to not damage the paint while removing the stubborn glue. I am happy with the end result as it's pretty clean in there. These sunroofs are prone to rust out. I was quite surprised at how nice the white paint is on the sunroof guides too. Its not scratched at all.

IMG_0502_zpsb575277c.jpg

More to come

The past week I spent an embarrassing amount of hours cleaning the door latches and vent window latch areas. Orig owner had sprayed the pivot points with an oil of some sort that dried up and looked like molasses. I still have to polish up the paint in the door jambs yet.

IMG_0540_zpsce84106c.jpg

I also got the decklid mounted up finally. Colour match is fairly decent considering the bus hasn't been mopped down yet. Should come out even better once the whole van has has the same polish.

IMG_0544_zps73a3b56e.jpg

Also started reassembling the interior. Starting from the rear.

IMG_0545_zpsb7911773.jpg

IMG_0543_zps86faf682.jpg

I think that's the kind of bus we all dream about, stunning.Your patience and attention to detail is commendable,keep the photo's coming.
Phil.

Superb work. Very nice to see such an original looking bus. The panels look new, stunning looking.

I have a question; your bus, (If i can remember the thread correctly), did not have rear seat jail bars. How did you manage to add ones as there will have been no metal brackets to attach the bars? Did you weld in brackets or did you get a different upright seat that can accommodate jail bars? :roll:

Also... where on earth did you manage to get the plastic ends for the jail bars? Are they aftermarket by any chance?

A wonderful original bus. Keep the pictures coming.

LV

Lordain Volley said:
Superb work. Very nice to see such an original looking bus. The panels look new, stunning looking.

I have a question; your bus, (If i can remember the thread correctly), did not have rear seat jail bars. How did you manage to add ones as there will have been no metal brackets to attach the bars? Did you weld in brackets or did you get a different upright seat that can accommodate jail bars? :roll:

Also... where on earth did you manage to get the plastic ends for the jail bars? Are they aftermarket by any chance?

A wonderful original bus. Keep the pictures coming.

LV

Thanks for the kind words. I like original parts so I was lucky enough to buy a very complete (but rusty) original Clipper van. So what I did was used the cover, padding and springs from my vans original seat and use the frame from the clipper seat , that I also got the jail bars from. I have grown to dislike repro crap parts as I have gotten a bit older and would rather restore original over the using garbage. To me its all in the details. I was quite lucky that my original seat was in storage in the garage its whole life making the vinyl soft and easy to remove without breaking anything. As far as the end caps go, they are NOS.

Latest posts