Throttle cable grief!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete B

Reaction score
Not in, but 9 miles north of Peterborough
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Bus
Throttle cable snapped and having right grief trying to fit the new one. Once it gets close to the gearbox end it just stops dead. I've tried filing the end to a dome, attempted several times to use the old one as a draw wire only to have the tape break every time. Having worked in the electrical industry, I am used to getting cables down conduits and have tried everything short of having someone tap the conduit at the appropriate point whilst I push and turn the cable (no one around to help...)
I'm presuming that where the tube is welded to the frame, the weld has penetrated and created a lump on the inside which the cable cannot pass.
I can pass the old cable down from the gearbox end and seeing as how it had a crimp connector about 6" back from the pedal end, I'm thinking this has been a problem before.

So, anyone got any bright ideas before I cut and crimp the new cable?

Beginning to wish I'd left the old cable in with the choccy block repair I'd done at the carb..... :roll:

ask the obvious Q first,you have taken the flexable conduit of the tube as it will catch on the start(I know you will have but had to check first ;) )the other one I have had to do is cut the crimp bit that goes on carb end to 1/2 size so it flexes in conduit.good luck mate.

get the old cable, cut the front end off and put it in a drill chuck? Might be worth a go, worked on a heater control cable on the old bug once...

Find a local engineer shop and ask them to run off 20 foot of wire from their mig welder?
Or local garage.
I say engineer shop because chances are they will have 0.8mm and most garages use 0.5 to 0.6mm.
The thicker stuff may make a difference.
If that will feed through you could twist it tight round the cable end and pull it through.

Rich

I had same problem, in the end I made a slit with an angle grinder at the point where it was stuck, pulled out some gunk, greased the slit.....oh that's another story :D

creationblue said:
I had same problem, in the end I made a slit with an angle grinder at the point where it was stuck, pulled out some gunk, greased the slit.....oh that's another story :D

:shock:

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Alex, couldn't get a decent soldered joint, my soldering iron is too puny!
Dave, I thought of shortening the carb end to help it to get round the bend but was afraid it might not then be long enough.
Good trick with the old cable/mig wire in a drill but unfortunately in this case it didn't solve the problem.
From what I could see (not much to be honest) I think there is a kink in the conduit near the gearbox, maybe it's been damaged somehow during the several gearbox changes I know it has had in the past.
So after hours of getting nowhere I got really frustrated and resorted to cutting it, feeding through from the back and jointing it by the side of the master cylinder. I didn't want to do that but had had enough messing around. When (eventually) I get around to putting the 1302 'box in I'll have another look at it.
Thanks again folks! 8)

Pete should have given me a ring fella - I could have dropped by and given you a hand. Don't struggle next time chap - might not get over till weekends as I'm in London till late in the week...bear it in mind 8)

not really a solution pete more of a wtf happened.

if its snapped and the thing wont come out the reason it wont come out is probably the same reason why it snapped, ie getting hung up etc.

jth

always full of useless advice.

you now have just three weeks to fix this pete , see ya at vowo.

Darren, thanks fella, will certainly give you a call. Wasn't expecting this to be such a PITA, change the throttle cable? Thought a simple half hour start to finish...... :roll:

John, ya damn drunken fool!!! The cable snapped at the usual place, right next to the carb and came out fine. The problem was feeding the new one through the conduit from the front, it wouldn't go quite to the end. See you in a few weeks mate ;)

Latest posts