Timing advice ..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilly_70

Reaction score
I know this is a silly question from someone who's been here a while .. but just looking for quick 'confirmation' ..

Standard 1600 twin port
Standard Vac advance dizzy
Bottom pulley has 1 notch at tdc

Static time to 0 TDC or 7.5 BTDC

Ta

Hilly

Hilly, what are you trying to do? Just get a starting point ?
Usual is vac tube off, carb end blocked, 7.5 BTDC at tick over.

However, I would recommend you get a timing light and set the max advance to be 30 BTDC (vac removed and blocked carb end) at around 3500 rpm, then see what you get at tick over. If very different than 7.5 BTDC then it suggests a problem. The reason to set max advance it to ensure you don't over advance it at max advance as you will damage the engine.
Static timing (using the points and a light) will not determine your real advance and should only be used to get the engine running.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

There are MANY different pulleys all with dimples and notches for different engine set-ups. Have a read through here to see what you have and post more info about your engine, dizzy and carb.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=251672&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20&sid=254e0d29882e9eb1fd5075b573c3f601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jonboylaw said:
Hilly, what are you trying to do? Just get a starting point ?
Usual is vac tube off, carb end blocked, 7.5 BTDC at tick over.

However, I would recommend you get a timing light and set the max advance to be 30 BTDC (vac removed and blocked carb end) at around 3500 rpm, then see what you get at tick over. If very different than 7.5 BTDC then it suggests a problem. The reason to set max advance it to ensure you don't over advance it at max advance as you will damage the engine.
Static timing (using the points and a light) will not determine your real advance and should only be used to get the engine running.

Reading this I'm worried that I'm timing this wrong now ! When you say tube off and carb end blocked do you mean block the feed going into the carb or the feed going into the dizzy if that makes sense ?

jonboylaw said:
Block the feed going to carb so it does not run lean ;)
Leave he dizzy side open but it makes naff all difference unless temp or air pressure were to change radically :)

Phew, all good there then :D thanks for clarifying

Cheers chaps .. Some useful advice.

The reason I asked was that for 8 years I have set timing with the notch bang on the casing mark.. But refreshing with some john muir reading it says mark the pulley 7.5 degrees from the mark and static time to there ..

Reading the link above tho it seems the single rear notch on some pulleys
Is the timing mark and not tdc .. Meaning my method is correct for my motor.

Thanks for the help on the dark subject chaps!

.. Oh and new timing light ordered with advance on! :)

Hilly

Take the plug out number 1 and insert a dowel rod or long pencil to check for TDC firing stroke (rotor arm pointing to number 1 on dizzy). Mark this on the pulley with a notch and paint to make it clear. I would not trust the current pulley marks as you never know if it is original to the engine.
Don't rotate the engine though as you may lose the dowel or pencil into the cylinder.. Don't ask me how I know this...,

The notch on the pulley is about 20mm to the right
Of the casing mark when at tdc using the above method.

That is my timing mark for static ..

Thanks chaps ..

jonboylaw said:
Take the plug out number 1 and insert a dowel rod or long pencil to check for TDC firing stroke (rotor arm pointing to number 1 on dizzy). Mark this on the pulley with a notch and paint to make it clear. I would not trust the current pulley marks as you never know if it is original to the engine.
Don't rotate the engine though as you may lose the dowel or pencil into the cylinder.. Don't ask me how I know this...,

Thanks for this johnboy. I have a TDC dimple on my pulley but had to try your pencil trick. Fun times!

jonboylaw said:
I'll let you buy me a beer next time I am in Vancouver ;)

Deal! But I'm 5000km east of Vancouver :?

Maybe a long road trip is in order :lol:

Haha nope. In the 70's four Canadian downhill ski members were so daring that they were named the "Crazy Canucks" and since then many Canadians identify with the Canuck term ... crazy or not :lol:

Latest posts