Tyres, what load rating?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kosytoes

Reaction score
hello all
Just got new set of alloys, was thinking of 175/60 15's on front and 185/70's on the back but, what load rating do they have to be, do they have to be commercial van tyres?
Help much appreciated.

Yes they are supposed to be commercial rated tyres. The front axle weight is over 1000KG so you need tyres suitable for this.

Read this
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Tires.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tyre load ratings
http://www.ctyres.co.uk/tyre_info/tyre_load_index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nobody that runs a low bus has the correct rated tyres, they simply don't make them in a profile suitable for slamming.

Best compromise is a continental vanco (185/60/15 I think?)
And the best for drive ability is not to lower it more than about 3"

But that's all up to you, what do you want the bus for?
Looking cool or actually driving where it was intended to be used?

Here endeth today's lesson :msn4:

Get decent quality tyres is pretty much all you can do.

Its a comprimise you make when you lower a van .... Ive yet to hear an actual case of tyre failure caused by non commercial tyres being used.

Dare I ask the boring question of where one stands insurance-wise if not using the right load-rated tyres? Shaky ground, certainly...

Yes for sure. I work for one of the bigger insurance companies and they have not paid out for wrong tyre load ratings even wrong load ratings of alloy wheels on cars involved in a crash .
There are many factors in play when they assess the incident. Assuming a crash not theft but I'm a kill joy.

Personally I'd hate to injure someone where in this case, the wrong tyres directly involved in the accident.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Hmm. Happy with- and proud of - my original wheels and 8-ply van tyres, think I'll keep it that way!

Dickie524 said:
Hmm. Happy with- and proud of - my original wheels and 8-ply van tyres, think I'll keep it that way!

Yeah I'd love to slam my bus, they look much better lower IMO but I've been round the houses with the various ways and means and there's yet to be solution that I'm actually 100% happy with. Hence a sensible drop with adjusters is all I've decided to do for now :roll:

There's 1000's of guys running slammed buses and some do drive really well, but mine only really gets used when it's full of camping gear and the family and towing a trailer so my priorities may well be different. :D

Latest posts