WHAT BATTERY TO BUY

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMJET

Reaction score
Hi all ,

i need a bit of advice as to what battery to get ,
i had to call the aa out as i couldnt get the van to start , and the aa bloke said the battery is dead and wont hold a charge,

one of my neighbours daughters works for varta uk , and said she can get me one ,
she said go big and offered me 3 different types , and i need to know from you vw experts if these are ok or if they will fry anything,

the only electrical extras that i run is a heated front and heated rear windscreen

the options she gave me are as below

1) varta 12v 60ah 540cca for £41
2) varta 12v 70ah 630cca for £46
3) varta 12v 95ah 830cca for £59

she does proper know whats shes talking about and completely lost me with all the technical stuff,
i really have not got a clue with electrics and would be most grateful with any help

many thanks in advance

As she said, get the biggest that will physically fit in the battery tray. I took some time measuring mine and think I ended up with one intended for a BMW M5...

Jim

They go hand in hand. The bigger the ah and cca, the bigger the battery. If your van takes some starting, then yes, go for one with more cca and ah. CCA means Cold Cranking Amperes, or how much power it can kick out when cold and having to work at its hardest. AH is amp hours, or storage capacity if you like.

It did take a long time to start , almost like it didnt want to ,

so if i go for the biggest one she said the 95ah 830cca , will it physically do any damage to wiring or anything else
as ive looked at the old one and it says 54ah 520cca

i suppose i just need to be reassured that im not going to do any damage to the wiring or voltage regulator thingy

cheers all

No, it won't damage the wiring. It is still 12v and will only draw the current it requires as usual, it just means you will have more in reserve for prolonged attempts at starting.

As Madman says.. It is just the storage capacity and crank current capability. The only way to melt your wires is to have a high current load at the end, but any car battery could melt your wires in that case.
Go for the biggest that will physically fit. BTW, those are great prices, would she be open to a group buy ?

Big thanks to everyone for the help,

im gona go with the 95ah 830cca battery as thought a bit more umph might help with starting the old girl ,
and for running my heated front and rear screens in the winter

good point about the dynamo not charging it up , my dynamo is a 38amp ,
i may have to go for one of them alternator conversion kits from jk or someone else in the future,
will see how it goes

as for the group buy jon , when i see her i will ask , i cant see why not , as shes pretty much supplied half the street with batterys

will let you know ,

cheers all

I'd be tempted for sure at those prices

second the 'charge your battery properly'

Use a 4-step electronic charger from the mains whenever possible and never leave your van for months without a charger conditioning the battery.

Also, don't be taken in my fancy battery gimmicks, they're all basically the same, charging it properly will make more difference than the brand imo

Hi Ramjet, can you let me know what battery you went for in the end and what size was it, ie did it fit? I think i'm in for a new one.

Hi ramjet, I'm also interested to know what battery you went for and if it's been a good buy. Also if the varta lady would do a group buy. We need a new battery too?

Thanks!

hi mate just fitted a new leisure battey in the other side was 14 inches long and went in no problems , was 110 so dont think you will have a problem on size .

jth

I would go for 97ah at that price they retail for over £130 :shock: bargain, sparkywig does have a point though even with a 75amp Alternator you'll be hard pressed to keep it fully charged this time of year, unless your doing over 40miles daily,
you could always put it on charge now & then.

Managed to fit a 125ah made by 'Elcosol'
Bright orange in colour!
Same sort of length as Johns. Fitted in snugly!
Loads of power now! :cool:

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Latest posts