You got to love a white Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rack-and-pinion update;

Tonight i made room for the rack-and-pinion. On the left-side there is a big point where there is a fixing point :shock: had to made some room in my chassis :shock: (original van-lovers don’t look :lol: ) Now i can start making the brackets to hold it.

P1020010.jpg

P1020012.jpg

P1020014.jpg

P1020021.jpg

Also made a start with the T3-housing to the T2 steering-colom, the rubber-donut of the T3 is smaller then the original one from a T2. I made a new base-plate and going to weld the T3-splines on it. Also cut and cleaned the base-plate of the steering shaft because i have to shorten-it. I’m going to place the T3-bevelbox very high in the chassis (so it won’t scrape and i can go lower :mrgreen: ).

P1020029.jpg

P1020032.jpg

Greetz mycha

Very nice work and the pictures speak a thousand words also :mrgreen:

Looking forward to the next installment ;)

Yesterday was parts delivery-day :mrgreen:
The u-jounts from the States arrived, it’s a shame the package was not complete :oops: the steering shaft was not there.............. :evil: The u-joint fits the T25 bevel-box (40splines) on one side and the other side is double D (3/4DD vauxhall/Opel) :msn4:

P1020040.jpg

P1020042.jpg

P1020051.jpg

P1020052.jpg

Hoping to have some time this week to go in the garage and make some progress.

Greetz Mycha

Hi mycha

Great work!

I think I know you also! Are you the Mycha that I met over at the first euro bug in and at ninove a few years ago?

I think I sold you a few parts for your Notchback. I've got the pearl White 62 notch and was trading with BerT3.
I've now also got a 69 deluxe bus I'm working on at the moment!

Cheers
Charlie

P.s. Any update on the rack and pinion?

55ovalcharlie said:
Hi mycha

Great work!

I think I know you also! Are you the Mycha that I met over at the first euro bug in and at ninove a few years ago?

I think I sold you a few parts for your Notchback. I've got the pearl White 62 notch and was trading with BerT3.
I've now also got a 69 deluxe bus I'm working on at the moment!

Cheers
Charlie

P.s. Any update on the rack and pinion?

Hey Charlie,

Cool to speak, have contact again ;) Did you sold your notch?
I still have the 68 fasty for resto and your white fender bedding.

Last weekend i made the brackets for the rack and pinion, this weekend i hope to have some time to start on the bracket for the T3 bevel box. Will post Photo's this weekend
:mrgreen:

Greetings from holland, mycha

Hi!

I still have the Notchback all tucked up in the garage. Like you, I got married recently (in December) and the notch was the wedding car, and as soon as I have finished the bus it will take us on a honeymoon like you did!

Small world!

Keep in touch and you never know, I may be contacting you for a rack and pinion if yours all goes smoothly! :)

See ya!

Today I had some time to work on the Power steering conversion.
The brackets for the rack are ready, only now i have to weld them and close the right one for the looks 8)

Next step is to make a bracket for the steering arms.

P1020086.jpg

P1020087.jpg

P1020089.jpg

P1020088.jpg

P1020091.jpg

Greetz mycha

Looking very professional 8)

When will the rest of the brackets be ready :?:

gninnam said:
Looking very professional 8)

When will the rest of the brackets be ready :?:

Thanks, don’t no yet.... very busy at work and next week i’m going on a skiing trip 8)

When i work on it i will post some photo’s :D

Greetz mycha

Hello Bay-lovers ;)
Very busy at the moment at work and the study in the evening :oops:

Today had a nice day to work on Westy, working on the power steering conversion, tomorrow I have some photo’s when it’s welded.

Also i thought the rear was a little to high and when she was fully loaded the axle was hitting the chassis.....
Notched it.......

Teaser:
Before:
P1010759.jpg

After:
P1020116.jpg

Greetz mycha

Love your van, you always manage to change something else that keeps improving it, must be getting near to being finished! ;)

Cheers
Gareth

cyberdyne systems said:
Love your van, you always manage to change something else that keeps improving it, must be getting near to being finished! ;)

Cheers
Gareth

Thanks, bur it’s not near to being finished :lol: have some tricks up my sleeve :msn4:

Today my friend Ron from http://www.deboxer.nl came and welded the notches and the power-steering-brackets.

Notching at the rear:
P1020149.jpg

P1020152.jpg

P1020148.jpg

Nice and comfortable low :D:
P1020113.jpg

Brackets from the power-steering:
P1020146.jpg

P1020145.jpg

Made some room for the T3 bevelbox:
P1020144.jpg

Greetz mycha

Nice work being carried out dude - looking forward to the next round 8)

Hello bay-lovers,

Some progress on project power steering;

- made a second bearing in the steeringcolumn, sorry no photo’s;
- made a bracket to correct the angle of the T25 bevel box;
- in progress of making the bracket for the bevelbox;

P1020172.jpg

P1020174.jpg

P1020173.jpg

cleared the chassis for the steering-arms when the airshock’s or on the lowered setting :p

P1020176.jpg

P1020175.jpg

Next will be the special bracket that’s my friend is making to connect the van steering-arms to the Vauxhall rack with vw beetle 1303 joints :shock:

Greetz Mycha

Latest posts