Your Early Bay Picture of the Day .....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grazy said:
100_1175.jpg

100_1174.jpg

Hope I am not the only one who takes camera EVERYWHERE in the van :shock:

lol

liking what you did there

you funny guy

:mrgreen:

:oops: Cheers Dude , The sad thing is before i got my van lowered i had been looking for a "SLOW" sign on the road which was not near a junction or on a bend as this would make it hard to take a picture :shock: The Air one was just luck :D

HillbrowTower.jpg

I've been fascinated by the Hillbrow tower in Johannesburg, South Africa for many years now. Yesterday I had to go and see a client in nearby Braamfontein, and on my way back I decided to see how close I could get to it. Amazingly, within a stone throw from the base! This is the closest I've ever been to it, and it really looks majestic when you are parked at the bottom of it. It does not look high on the pictures, but I had to take the pics almost at a vertical angle to get it in. There is now way in which I could get the Bus and the complete tower in one pic (duh, there goes my idea for my new avatar :cry: ). If the scene in 'Titanic' where the ship was portruding halfway in the air when it sank was authentic, it must have been one helluva drop down for the passengers in real life :shock:

hill.jpg

hill2.jpg

hill3.jpg

The Hillbrow Tower is the highest structure in Johannesburg, and is probably the city's most recognisable landmark. The Hillbrow Tower (previously known as the JG Strijdom Tower) was built over three years, between June 1968 and April 1971, and is 269m high. It is owned by Telkom (previously by the Post Office) and is used as a microwave tower. It used to boast a revolving restaurant, but was closed in January 1981 for security reasons. The tower had a blue illuminated Telkom sign installed on 31 May 2005, and was renamed as the Telkom Joburg Tower.
It is interesting to note that the height of the Hillbrow Tower is virtually the same as the length of the Titanic (269m).

Latest posts