1967 Neptune Blue Deluxe

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a bitch of a job but worth it and looking at the pic, not too much damage under there!

Sounds similar to ours when we did it back in 2011, it took 3 weeks with it on its side to get rid of the combination of under seal, sand and dirt, we found painting it with diesel softened it up enough to remove and then a wipe down with brake cleaner etc to get rid of the residue

£130 of sound deadening later....

Roof holes plugged,

and parts delivery.

Sh1t the bed, that's a lot of sound deadening! A few questions... What brand did you use? Did you cover the entire (or as much of) the surface of each panel? Did you do above the engine/rear hatch and cargo floor areas Approx how many rolls did you need?

Sh1t the bed, that's a lot of sound deadening! A few questions... What brand did you use? Did you cover the entire (or as much of) the surface of each panel? Did you do above the engine/rear hatch and cargo floor areas Approx how many rolls did you need?
I'm using this, I bought 8 rolls and have used 3 so far.
I'm planning to cover every square inch of exposed panels, including all the cargo floor and engine tray after all the welding has been completed.

I'm using this, I bought 8 rolls and have used 3 so far.
I'm planning to cover every square inch of exposed panels, including all the cargo floor and engine tray after all the welding has been completed.
I was looking at something very similar - Dodo mat DEADN (which is £60 a roll, but is 60cm x 583cm) - I'm not planning to cover every square inch of the bus (maybe 50% of each panel) so perhaps 2 rolls is enough?

Project "get the deluxe mobile" started today.
Part I; find, rebuild and fit a steering column and bracket.
Found one in my parts haul, stripped and ready for refurb.

It took ages to strip the column bracket and floor shroud of household gloss white. Almost wish I'd never started it, in the end a scraper, cheekpoker 300 and blast cabinet eventually worked.

Finally tested negative this morning, so off to the lock up and push on with the deluxe.
Steering column outer tube, base and dash bracket etched and painted.

Inner column cleaned and repainted on the factory lines.

Just need to remove the ignition barrel from the housing, and then that can be prepped and painted.

Made a start today.
Well, I did after sorting the lock up and making room first, and then emptying the deluxe of acquired parts.
Out in the fresh air at last.

Steering column jigsaw

All together

And in situ. Stripped all the old loom and operating cables out, and removed the brake and clutch pedals and mechanisms.
Didn't do a very good job of steam cleaning it, there's still loads of accumulated sand under the cab.

Back in it's space ready for next weekend.

Really do need an early lhd steering box now, just to get it mobile.

If you need to borrow a steering box I have a freshly recon unit from 20 years ago. I just haven’t had time to fit it.
Thanks, I've got bits like that as well. The years just roll by.....
I just need it to be able to move the bus on and off a trailer so the tubs and notches, etc can be done.
I've got a late box conversion, but obviously that can't be installed until the chassis leg is modded.

A productive morning at the shop.

Don't know why there's loads of expanding foam around the heater duct,

but it's all gone now.

Pedals removed for refurb, and gearshift rods as well 'cos they're f*cked.

Steering box fitted (I know the nut's missing),

and column installed. Had to lose a piece of wall art though.....

All ready for tubs and notches now.

Early start today, sorry to the local residents. I don't think there's anything louder than dragging a trolley jack across concrete, although a pressure washer and air compressor running in tandem is up there.

Bit cleaner underneath now, although I have revealed a little additional welding at the bottom of the doglegs.

Latest posts