1969 Arctic Explorer

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm just old but it's heartening to hear other tales of follies of youth!
Had a splittly back in the early 90s, cut and turned the beam so much had to import special tyres from japan ( :shock: ) just so the arches didn't sit on them then drove it to cornwall and spent three days with chronic back ache.
We took it in shifts driving back.... ;)

Oh, and if you think 1800 was cheap, I paid 600 on mine! Was a panel though....

Back in the today, fantastic work on the bus, especially all the graft in the front panel. Big respect for cracking through that.
Is going to be sweet all sprayed up and back together.

But if notches and spindles are the truth does that mean now that you've escaped the snow it's going lower :mrgreen:

Geeze said:
....... drove it to cornwall and spent three days with chronic back ache.
We took it in shifts driving back.... ;)
:

Thats too funny :lol:

Did you have stock seats? anything else in a low bus I find a bit too harsh!!

Crazy really, now if you have the cash you can get power steering, disc brakes and adjustable suspension off the shelf for a van that was made 30-40-50 years ago....Amazing!

I got both doors straight tonight so thats the whole bottom straightened out ready for a few coats of filler primer :)

But I am really not sure which way my bus is going.... :?

Lower it, jack it up^ or leave stock.... I am all over the place on colours, wheels and tyres as well, it changes daily might just go stock, stock, stock as it would be a first for me, never had a stock car even my Skoda Rapid was decked.

I will get all the boring stuff done first then concentrate on the fun bits.

Bit more done, I started on the roof and guttering tonight.

I went round and gently straightened out all the guttering and took any scabby bits back to bare metal then flatted and etch primed all the way round.....

06f5c82a.jpg

52b3f07b.jpg

034368e2.jpg

7f707402.jpg

92b2fc55.jpg

I got the big dent out of the roof using glass carrying suckers.... (not so clear in the photo but it was big)

e17b1a98.jpg

761b4d07.jpg

b1da57fb.jpg

22a50ff6.jpg

Then started on the thick layers of red oxide and paint on the roof.....

5d1bfb8a.jpg

67023135.jpg

Hopefully have the roof primed tomorrow. I guess now I am going to repaint the pop-top and rack as well to match the bumpers, I keep making more jobs for myself

Should really be at Big Bang as it's only down the road but I am cracking on with the bus whilst the weather is good.

The interior is out the back of the Bay and in the back of the Syncro as the garage is already full of junk!

c2e63a30.jpg

3ddfa792.jpg

808ce08a.jpg

Floors look ok no holes just a bit of surface rust

50f8e5fa.jpg

3d692e46.jpg

The windows are out and the frames aren't that bad, only one needs welding. Round the screen is scabby but no rot or holes which is better than I expected :D

b2db21b1.jpg

2e53ed74.jpg

So all in all progress is steady, I never intended to strip it down so far.......

31b0ed82.jpg

adae40c8.jpg

b1bdb695.jpg

snow_pikey said:
Hey Benyon, I guess you have left now but I hope you have a great time I was living in Banff for the last 3 years and I do believe you are going to have an amazing time that sounds like a great trip they are all good spots

You certainly were right boss! Our 'RV' didn't stand out as much as Millie tho!
221922_10150568942110144_759175143_18148345_5367584_n.jpg

Glad you had a good time Benyon!! :) sweet RV

I might regret starting to polish the pop-outs but they do look good when done....

I found the best way was a bit of wet and dry (wet) to take off the heavy corrosion, then a small mop on a die grinder, then auto-sol with a rag.....

Still a lot of polishing to go but this is a 20min start, any top tips let me know

991be05e.jpg

01fdec76.jpg

58ed1048.jpg

b7d04d2a.jpg

Guess not much progress on the Bay just collecting parts including a Sink unit (hooray!! :D ) I have all my paint and materials to paint Missy, I went with Lotus white and hope to have some paint on some of the Bay this coming week :D

I have been practicing my painting on my Dad's T4.........

b4ba885f.jpg

5dd651bb.jpg

1be760a0.jpg

5cfb0a72.jpg

73da369a.jpg

50308bfd.jpg

b09a72db.jpg

Hi Matt, I am the previous owner of your 'Missy'. My brother Geoff sold her to you for me . I am so glad that she found such a good home with you. I think I had her for about 10 years here on Pender Island. She went by a couple names...for a while she was referred to as Vanna White by a friend of mine but I called her "The Purple Passion Wagon'. At that time The whole interior was done up in purple. Curtains,cushions, beads, flowers disco ball, black light, hanging things...it was quite a sight, and people loved to look inside it. A girlfriend and I actually did a little gypsy fortune telling gig out of it one time to raise money for homeless cats! It was a fun night and lots of people will remember it. Unfortunately I have no pics of the inside of it during it's purple phase. I see the tire cover is now gone. I painted the sun/moon faces on that when I first got her.I loved that van and had so much fun in it! I have often wondered if she had gone to England, as Geoff had mentioned you may take her back there. I have really enjoyed reading your post and good luck with the rest of the restoration.

HOW COOL IS THAT!!!!! :D

Thats brillant how did you hear about your old bus being on here Gillie? I don't know what happened to the wheel cover it came off when I repainted the wheels and was in the bus for ages a just vanished probably in one or another of the big load and unload sessions.

Thanks for sharing some stories and I do like 'Vanna White' funny I was going to email Geoff and ask him to forward a link to you as I always wonder about my old VW's. Do you have any old pictures or stories you could email me or post up here? it would be great!!!

She has been well used a bit abused but much loved and well cared for, keep an eye on the thread there's lots more to come :)

Oh!... I still have the flower in the blue vase to hang back up once I put her back together and all the junk in the ashtray and a captain hook action figure.....
I have a superposition about leaving trinkets and such that are in a bus when I buy them in them..... odd I know :lol:

Thanks again!!

Hey Matt,
I've been meaning to post on your thread for a few days now but I did manage to send my sister the link today :D

Wow you sure have traveled in that old bus! Sorry to hear the engine had problems so soon after you purchased it, I'm friends with Duane. Wish I had known you were working on it at his shop as I would have come given a hand.
Glad to see your giving it the attention it deserves. I love your thread, keep up the great work!

Geoff.

Thanks Geoff nice to hear from you,

It was just bad luck about the screw falling inside, but it all worked out well I ended up with a great reconditioned engine to rely on :D

Tonight I started stripping the paint off the westy sink unit I purchased of Ebay, it was a good price and completely covered in a few coats of house paint. it came off with a bit of thinners a scrapper and a couple of hours of work....

BUT!...... its the wrong veneer, I assume later is darker? never mind it is complete and in good solid condition with a mint coolbox liner, shelves, tank, plug, spice rack etc....

Anyone know if you can get the veneer in sheets?

35cd4668.jpg

fff580ae.jpg

e395497e.jpg

097cdf0a.jpg

e45c777b.jpg

Hi Matt. I would love to share some pics and stories of Missy when she was mine. I will have to try and find some pictures and figure out how to post them here.Maybe give me a few days.....by the way my son and I think it's very cool that his Captain Hook toy is in England now and will be in the van! In case I have trouble posting pics here is my email....feel free to contact me any time, [email protected]

Nice you just make your VW with a rooftop. Need to know more. pls send more picture

this thread rules! :msn4:

loving the stories, history and skillz. not too many would tackle a restoration the way you have, well done!

Cheers :)

I've been going to shows and playing with my Syncro http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=96575" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BUT!.......... after going to Bad Camberg I'm all enthused again and Missy is getting closer to some shiny paint, Woop! Woop!

a0795f60.jpg

d7774a33.jpg

May or may not be interested but here's some links to photos of my little Europe jaunt to BBT, Bad Camberg and Europe largest 4x4 show at Bad Kissingen.

Had an wicked time and got to drive my old Bus again which was nice......

UK to BBT Cruise 2011 (Belgium)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150303042936083.379203.536646082&l=ac04a73369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BBT to Bad Camberg 2011 (Germany)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150303895831083.379472.536646082&l=1e94752b87" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bad Camberg to Bad Kissingen Adventure Allrad Show

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150308842686083.381305.536646082&l=b6bc1978bd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Great story, can't wait to see the old girl in fresh paint 8)

Are those T4 Syncros any good for green laning?

:0

Cheers Moler,

You dont need a Syncro to go green laneing just some good tires and an old aircooled bus :)

I've managed to borrow a booth after hours..... so some long nights in the coming weeks but have been making progress of a sort:

a93ae847.jpg

2cff7760.jpg

b914499e.jpg

18f4a641.jpg

5db57fba.jpg

6052af76.jpg

818012d5.jpg

8d2fe94c.jpg

f1a0966d.jpg

f51eef46.jpg

693107cb.jpg

dd4c4696.jpg

e70cbbfb.jpg

7a379eda.jpg

945feb9d.jpg

2374cd3a.jpg

ee3d4df7.jpg

e86d854f.jpg

22848cd0.jpg

87a0464d.jpg

eeeb7162.jpg

2fdf0557.jpg

4d7d10f8.jpg

97ecdd18.jpg

d3efc005.jpg

42e83f57.jpg

6e87944d.jpg

8bae7686.jpg

91de0bae.jpg

Got involved after work today... or is that yesterday now.... late night was looking good but even with a sealer coat the primer reacted with something..... could be worse could have painted the doors as well :)

It's all a learning curve for the hobby :lol:

I had thought about using the crewcab for a bit of green laning before I slam him, I guess if they can survive Shasta, and Arctic circle, they can survive a bit of off roading :lol:

I'd have been devastated with that reaction :shock: glad you can the see the humourous side :)

Latest posts