1970 San Francisco westfalia resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gas1man said:
That rear stabiliser bar looks good and as you say helps in the corners, I am going to presume it's because of the stroker,
and would probably not enhance my ride sufficiently enough or would it???
I put the front larger one on and it did help a little however when the smaller tyres were on it hit the ground to many times.
Scared the life out of Pippa and I on many occasions.Looking good otherwise.

J & P
:D :D :D

Not really to do with the big engine tbh, just to help handling in general. In an ideal world I’d have fitted a heavy duty front bar but you can’t get 1 for a 4.5” narrowed king & link pin beam so I took a chance with trying just the rear 1. Has certainly helped but I’ll need to adjust to the change in handling now, rear anti roll bars increase oversteer and without the front anti roll bar to counter that it may be a bit more tail happy now.

I think it would benefit your bus, would compliment the front 1 well!

After having an evening in the pub with Grazy last night I spent my afternoon in the garden polishing my exhaust because I’m a loser :lol:

Also spent yesterday rebuilding the rear brakes because the O/S/R wheel cylinder leaked ruining the brake shoes :roll: what pissed me off is they are ‘top quality’ ATE cylinders which were £90 a side :?

Hope you get your money back for the brake cylinders -that’s terrible !

I also polish my exhaust , can’t bare to see it dirty [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mike202 said:
Hope you get your money back for the brake cylinders -that’s terrible !

I also polish my exhaust , can’t bare to see it dirty [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve not tried tbh, they’ve done 3000 miles and I brought them 3 years ago when I started rebuilding the bus after it left the bodyshop. I’m very fussy about my entire engine being clean :msn4: :mrgreen:

fallingoffalot said:
Did you bolt that to the standard 4:1 stainless tubes, or did you have to replace the whole system? Is it loud on the motorway at say 3800 rpm?

It’s a complete system from A1 exhausts in California, It’s a their sidewinder header with their twin tube muffler. It’s got a nice deep growl at lower rpms but once you get past 4500rpm it does get pretty loud yeah.

My motor way cruise is 75mph @ 3200rpm, it’s reasonably quite, able to talk easy enough.

Took a trip through the Suffolk countryside to a decent local show called spring break. It’s hot rod and muscle car show but the bus still got papped and ended up on their website gallery and Facebook page :mrgreen:

Thought I’d just check the sync of the IDA’s and give them a little tweek, no need all still spot on :mrgreen: People who say twin carbs are always require fiddling only say that because they either don’t know what their doing or use a crappy linkage.

All was well with my engine so I went down the beach for a pint.

Went for a thrash with Grazy today

lightshot

Graeme sent me some pics he took

Including the evidence of me doing a burnout :msn4: :lol:

Was a fun day but we were punished with Graeme suffering clutch failure (luckily down the road from his house) so we pushed it home. In a couple weeks I’ll go round with my Allroad & car trailer and move it to my shop for a new clutch and service 8)

The other day I went and collected grazys cool panel van with the faithful Allroad and my trailer, got it to my shop and pulled the motor finding the clutch release arm had snapped

I got some new front tyres, went from a 165/50 15 to a 165/60 and the difference is amazing! Such a nicer ride! And to be fair my bus rides nice anyway.

Suffolk has been having a heat wave this week so the bus has been the daily 8)

Living at the beach and owning a bus is a great combo :mrgreen:

Well I’ve had an eventful 72 hours…. Drove down to Southend to stay with some friends on Saturday morning, after some enthusiastic driving 3rd and 4th became difficult to engage and disengage…

Once back at Simons I dropped the oil

Moment I saw that I knew I’d killed a synchro :roll:

Bollocks…..

Got home at 8pm sunday on the tow truck and instantly pulled the motor and box.

I’d contacted John Walklett who built it, said I’d killed it, and wondered if I could get it up to him Monday which he was fine with.

I got to Stoke on Trent at 11am which is a 3 1/2 hour drive from Felixstowe, John then said if you can wait I’ll strip it now and if I can fix it I’ll do it while you wait :shock:

2 1/2 hours later I was driving home with a rebuilt box :mrgreen: I’d killed the hub and synchro for 3/4, John replaced them with HD weddle parts and the same for 1/2. They previously were modded OG vw bits so hopefully these will hold up better lol.

Was in my shop at 9.30 this morning and by 2 I had it running. Took it for a small drive and all seems good, will set carbs up tomorrow and go for a decent drive.

So Basically John Walklett is the hero of this whole event

Bus is running sweet and everything is working as it should so that’s on daily duty for the next week or so as the venerable Allroad needs some TLC and a service. Hopefully the weather will stay nice

Fantastic news, I need to get my box refurbished, jumps out of reverse after about 5meters and sometimes 4th on the motorway. Got a trip to Cornwall (200 miles) in a few weeks. Unfortunately everything I do on my bus takes ages, so won't have time before we go. I'll try not to change gear too often!

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Had a weekend at Santa pod for dragstalgia with my mates Simon in his 69 deluxe which I did a load of work on over winter and Alun in his newly acquired 62 Buick skylark low rider.

Latest posts