1970 Westy Pop Top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali_bay

Reaction score
Unloaded from the trailer.

DSCN4743.jpg

And her after a quick clean

DSCN4746.jpg

Some interesting window stickers.

DSCN4745.jpg

To be continued.....

simon shame she`s a left hooker with a pooie 1600 and drum brakes :roll:
spose you`ll be asking me to make more bits for this one ????

faux said:
Come on Si.....you know we need more pics......we don't get out much in the winter :mrgreen:

Will get some more pics soon, our camera decided to stop working today after taking a couple of shots :roll:

lhu128l said:
simon shame she`s a left hooker with a pooie 1600 and drum brakes :roll:
spose you`ll be asking me to make more bits for this one ????

:lol: :lol:

Your just lucky to have a rare solid Uk RHD Westy. :mrgreen:

Although post 72 though :roll:

Managed to get out and started on the bus today.

Picture of the the interior
DSCN4776.jpg

Couldn't believe the amount of crap behind and under the R&R bed.
DSCN4781.jpg

DSCN4782.jpg

Loose change anyone?
DSCN4783.jpg

Found the original Westy flooring :)
DSCN4784.jpg

Pity it was only 3 inches wide :(
DSCN4786.jpg

Floor looks solid, just needs a good clean and treat the small areas of surface rust.

DSCN4787.jpg

DSCN4788.jpg

A bucket of water and a bit of scrubbing it started to look alot cleaner.

DSCN4789.jpg

DSCN4790.jpg

Just need to finish cleaning and remove the tar like coating on areas of the floor.

The engine bay needs a bit of a clean and the hose from the filter to carb replaced. Looks like its a vacuum cleaner hose :lol:
DSCN4760.jpg

One issue I have to deal with is the handbrake pivot. It has broken off the body. :shock: It looks like the pivot has siezed, which has caused it to break. I need to strip this down and weld the bracket, then re-assemble with plenty of grease.
DSCN4764.jpg

More to follow as I dig deeper. :)

Looks good Si, you must be in your element with a new project. It seems a solid bus, I remember taking out my interior and finding the same rubbish (and lots of quarters). I painted the floor with Hammerite, it doesn't get seen and just helps to protect. I look forward to seeing it soon.

One question though, which will you camp in: Cross dresser or straight shooter :?:

I know which I'd choose :lol: :lol:

windsurfer said:
Looks good Si, you must be in your element with a new project. It seems a solid bus, I remember taking out my interior and finding the same rubbish (and lots of quarters). I painted the floor with Hammerite, it doesn't get seen and just helps to protect. I look forward to seeing it soon.

One question though, which will you camp in: Cross dresser or straight shooter :?:

I know which I'd choose :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Not sure yet.......but ones got to go :?

Just noticed that the fuel line has ten joins from the tank to the carb :shock: :lol:

tank to rubber hose
rubber hose to metal
metal to rubber
rubber to fuel pump
fuel pump to rubber
rubber to metal
then back to rubber
then to filter abd back to braided
finally to carb.........but with no clamp :shock:

Need to sort this before she runs again.

bit disapointed really simon thought you have done a lot more over the christmas break !!!
i`m up to my elbows in scalectrix and mince pies ,if you want my welder we go to manchester tues night .

lhu128l said:
bit disapointed really simon thought you have done a lot more over the christmas break !!!
i`m up to my elbows in scalectrix and mince pies ,if you want my welder we go to manchester tues night .

I only get a limited time off to play. :(

Not doing any welding this week (plenty of other stuff to get on with), so I'll give you a shout in the new year. Hope you have a good new year.

Si

Managed to get a few more bits done today

Removed the handbrake with the pivot bracket. Its nice to see the amount of weld someone has put on it without actually joining it to the floor. :lol: Will have to grind this all off and see whats left. The pivot is completely siezed so will soak in penetrating oil and see if I can get is free.
DSCN4793.jpg

DSCN4795.jpg

DSCN4797.jpg

Wired up a fitted new RHD headlamp units
DSCN4799.jpg

Finally fitted the correct air cleaner elbow (Thanks Dean)
DSCN4803.jpg

froggy said:
Must be time for an update????????

Funny you should say that. I was going to add a few bits today. :lol:

I have now got a bit more motivation back and have done a few more bits this week. The bus was away for a bit having a few bits of welding done, most importantly the hand brake pivot bracket. The work was done to a high standard by Rocket (Ron) and Ian at VW Endangered Species. 'Thanks Guy's' and thanks also to Graham L at MEB for the huge support he has given with the issues. It's great to see such good customer support in the VW scene.

This week I have been tackling the rear brakes. The first job was to get the hub nuts off so bought a 600mm breaker bar and socket. One side a couple of jumps and it cracked undone. The other side was a different matter, it would not budge :roll: . Popped round to a neighbour to see if he had a scaffold bar, but no luck so we both ended us jumping on it and 3rd bounce it went. How tight :shock: .

Got the drum off on one side and this is what I found. Spot whats missing?

DSCN4933.jpg

Yes, the hand brake lever and connector bar :shock: A quick call and trip to Vanshack in Oxon I managed to ge the required bits. Then to GSF for some shiney new brake parts.
Fitted new hand brake cables, new cyclinder, shoes and adjusters. The bus now has a working handbrake :party0006:

DSCN4940.jpg

Also started to fit new fuel lines and fitted a new indicator switch as the old one wouldn't stay locked on.

Next week its the turn of the front brakes and finish the fuel lines.

Just a couple of last shots of the light fitted and wired in to the cab light. :? The two spots are on a dimmer switch.

Not sure if it going to stay or go, but bloody hurts if you bang your head on it.

DSCN4825.jpg

DSCN4824.jpg

Nice to see you cracking on with this one, you'll be torn between the two of them.

By the way a westy roof bed went on ebay last week for over £270 ....just thought you would like to know. :mrgreen:

Coming on a treat.

Jon

faux said:
Nice to see you cracking on with this one, you'll be torn between the two of them.

By the way a westy roof bed went on ebay last week for over £270 ....just thought you would like to know. :mrgreen:

Coming on a treat.

Jon

Can't believe they are selling for this now. :shock: :shock: How's yours coming on?

lhu128l said:
sell it and keep your old one!!!!

That would be the easy option :lol:

Latest posts