1970 Westy Pop Top

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been doing a few more bits, but frustrated with parts and delivery problems. :evil:

Had to change my plans for last weekend and ended up doing a bit of welding that needed sorting. Bumper mounting bolts which were adrift and a couple of small holes in the floor.

Also replaced the engine mounts, on of which was sheared. Found them both fitted upside down which may well have been the cause of the failure. :roll:

Just want to get it MOT'd and registered so I can take her for a drive.

Need to get some good karma. :)

Done a bit more today.

Finished fitting my exhaust and refitted the rear valance.

Then set to work fitting the repro Westy tow bar supplied by Gadget. It is excellent quality and fitted very well. To finish I only need to fettle a couple of the mounting holes to fit the last two bolts and get an electrical socket.

DSCN4941.jpg

DSCN4942.jpg

Yes for some reason it is a 71 bumper and has 71 stone guards as well. Need to see if I can get the right parts for this at some point, but for now it will do.

A few pictures of the hand brake bracket repair which was one of the jobs VW ES did for me a couple of weeks ago. I now have an operating hand brake.

DSCN4948.jpg

DSCN4947.jpg

DSCN4946.jpg

Now just need to fit the new master cylinder, the front brake kit, seat belts, new horn and a cable for the rear brake light, then hopefully MOT time. :)

Took the day off Friday and got stuck into the tick list.

- First fitted new track rods and drag links

- Fitted new master cylinder and then connected wire to rear brake lights

- Installed new horn

- Repaired the seat belt mounting on the passenger side

Then installed my 14" Futbus Kit. This fitted very well and took only about an hour per side.
When first I got the kit, the mounting brackets did not fit, but a call to Dave and shipped them back to be modified. Got them back in about a week. Still need to bleed the brakes, but almost ready for the MOT :D

DSCN4949.jpg

DSCN4952.jpg

DSCN4956.jpg

DSCN4957.jpg

DSCN4958.jpg

DSCN4959.jpg

Does the futbus kit widen the track?
Otherwise like airtime said, looks like quality :!:

Dirty Harry said:
Does the futbus kit widen the track?
Otherwise like airtime said, looks like quality :!:

It does seem to be a good quality kit, haven't tried them out yet though. It does widen the track, by about 5mm each side (10mm overall) if my memory serves me right.)

faux said:
As Usual, you are cracking on with this one. I hope you will be bring it to Tredegar House. 8)

Trying to get it dall one, but it just seems endless at the moment :roll: .

I would love to get it to Tredegar, but don't think it will be ready. :(

Took her for her first MOT today.

24032010102.jpg
[/URL]

She ran quite well, but a little lumpy. Maybe dirt in the carb?

she's sitting a little high at the mo, need to get that sorted when funds allow.

24032010104.jpg
[/URL]

24032010105.jpg
[/URL]

Just need to get the plates.

Very nice (especially the back lights :lol: :lol: )
Congrats mate will hopefully get to see it sometime this year at a show!

froggy said:
Very nice (especially the back lights :lol: :lol: )
Congrats mate will hopefully get to see it sometime this year at a show!

Hope the move is going alright.

We are hoping to go to CJ again this year plus a few others but not booked any others yet. Will be good to see your progress on your bus as well.

Been cracking on over the last few weeks

Sanded and varnished the ply panels

DSCN5007.jpg

DSCN5008.jpg

DSCN5010.jpg

Then layed the floor tiles
DSCN5011.jpg

Finally cleaned and fitted the interior back in.
DSCN5013.jpg

DSCN5018.jpg

DSCN5019.jpg

DSCN5020.jpg

Soon be ready to go away in.

Here are a few pictures I took of the Bus yesterday. It's nice to have her on the road.

Looking forward to taking her to Stoner on the 6th. 8)

IMAG0005c.jpg

IMAG0006c.jpg

IMAG0007c.jpg

IMAG0009c.jpg

IMAG0010c.jpg

Great work Si, I knew it wouldn't be long before you had this on the road.

I think you need to go a bit lower though :mrgreen:

The interior looks really tidy too.

Took the day off work today and started the on list of winter Jobs on the bus.

Engine out was the first job.

DSCN5221.jpg

DSCN5226.jpg

Out came the firewall and was happy to see that it looked brand new appart from some Californian dust :D

DSCN5232.jpg

DSCN5231.jpg

DSCN5230.jpg

I have been having a few problems with clutch judder whilst changing down, so when the engine came out I checked the clutch operating shaft and release bearing, to see if there was any issue and this is what I found

The pictures below shows a close up of the parts, a spring washer has been welded on one side and the other side has what looks like half a washer and a bead of weld. I fairly sure that this could cause the juddering problem, so will have to replace the parts with new ones from Heritage.

DSCN5227.jpg

DSCN5229.jpg

DSCN5228.jpg

So a good session was had :D ........Next jobs strip the engine tinware and send it off for powdercoating and seal a couple of oil leaks (push rod tubes and rocker covers seals). Might well change the flywheel oil seal whilst the motor is out.

Latest posts