1972 Crossover Dormobile - Full Restoration Work In Progress

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nafe

Bloody hell mate!!! when you said you were doing a resto i did,nt expect that but i suppose you did,nt either
Take my hat off to you fella excellent workmanship very theror indeed
Lox invited me up to the barn to have a ganders as im thinking of a power plant myself over the coming winter
months

GOOD LUCK YOUR GETTING TO BEST BIT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Leon

oneday! said:
Hi Nafe

Bloody hell mate!!! when you said you were doing a resto i did,nt expect that but i suppose you did,nt either
Take my hat off to you fella excellent workmanship very theror indeed
Lox invited me up to the barn to have a ganders as im thinking of a power plant myself over the coming winter
months

GOOD LUCK YOUR GETTING TO BEST BIT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!

Leon

hey mate,

your right i cant believe i have taken such a big job on with no experience in restos. mind you nor can some bodyshop people and paint guys lol. lluckily i will be getting some professionals to make it look all good with the paint, upholstery and probably the cupboards.

you are free to come up whenever to be honest mate. however, it depends whether you want to have a butchers at the engine when its installed or not. the engine isnt installed at the moment, but i do have a plan to put it in over the next couple of weeks and possibly fire it up.

i'll leave it up to you when you want to come up, probably best to come up over a weekend rather than an evening as i am very busy in work until 5th Nov.

NaFe

All I can say is you are doing a great job and have my respect , I just went thru the thread and you are a very patient and skillfull man , should look awesome when finished.

ib-bus said:
All I can say is you are doing a great job and have my respect , I just went thru the thread and you are a very patient and skillfull man , should look awesome when finished.

cheers mate, thanks for your kind words. its funny you should say that about having patience. i remember when i first started looking into this seen back in 2006/2007. the first forum i was introduced to was Just Kampers (JK). there was a chap on there who had a resto in the gallery and the starting date was 2004. i remember thinking bloody hell thats a guy withs ome patience -3 yrs and still going.

now coming up to the two year anniversary and still going i'm thinking its going to be close to 2.5 yrs hahahaha

so this evenigns activities went ok. i tested indicators and headlights. i have a few questions:

indicators work although i am not sure if i have wired them up completely accurately lol. can someone tell me whether when you indicate, the indicator warning lights on your dash both light up - whether you indicate right or left? when i indicate both warning lights light

NaFe

Both mine light up at the same time - I think this is normal.

I'm sure there was a thread (or link to another wedbsite) about modifying the system so that each side lights up individually as on a modern car.

;)

cool that gives me a bit of confidence

i have a guy coming down to give me a quote for a spray job on monday. really not sure whether he will be the guy who will do it - he's more of a family friend, but is supposed to be good at painting. he will at least inform me of the process that other people will quote me on i.e. prep, filler, painting, flatting back etc.

hahaha, well i had a guy come over to see the camper today and give me a quote for spraying. and he quoted me a ball park of £10k

thats right

£10,000

i nearly shat myself when he told me that. i know one or two of my panels are seriously warped but didnt think that they were that bad. i should be getting one or two other people comingn to give me a quote so i hope that it wont be as much

NaFe

p.s. nelly if you read this then i have a question...do you need to see my bus in person to give me a quote, or could i send you a CD or somehting with photos???

Haveacamper said:
hahaha, well i had a guy come over to see the camper today and give me a quote for spraying. and he quoted me a ball park of £10k

thats right

£10,000

i nearly shat myself when he told me that. i know one or two of my panels are seriously warped but didnt think that they were that bad. i should be getting one or two other people comingn to give me a quote so i hope that it wont be as much

NaFe

p.s. nelly if you read this then i have a question...do you need to see my bus in person to give me a quote, or could i send you a CD or somehting with photos???

I can do it for £9k - but only if you dont mind me using up all the leftover rattle cans I've got lying around ;)

Would need to see the bus unfortunatly mate but i do come across to Bristol quite often to visit me folks so could tie it in with that or if i could see it in the daytime week days give me a good excuse to get out of work for a few hours :)
!0 grand does seem a bit steep :shock:

well i am pretty busy with work until 5th november, but qwill be having a couple of days off after. maybe either the friday 6th Nov and monday or monday and tuesday. i will also be free over that weekend. therefore, from the 6th to 10th Nov - so i can fit around you if you can come over

just so you know, the camper is about hr from bristol.

ok so i have done some work on the bus but mainly getting the wiring sorted. the dash all works now and i have refitted the engine to start testing engine harness before trying to start it.

nelly's company are coming to give me a quote on monday so very excited. i have been rethinking by blue options and have been a little worried about metallic blue as it can bea nightmare to match if/when it needs a touch up. also, i think with the majority of modern cars having metallic paint it would stand out more if i had a block colour. Loxy has convinced me that the wow factor will come more from the additional small extras that are on the van rather than the over all colour.

for that reason i have thought about OG colours and also turned to the Posche colours like green with black, orange with black etc

so i have thought about white with black wheels and black trim. for a started for 10 i went onto busselecta.com to see what it looks like. i am thinking the white looks best - not sure whether thats cos the red doesnt have the real life shine. i'll have to put a black dormobile roof on but will also try it with a white roof.
what are peoples thoughts on my german look version????

newcolours.png

NaFe

Agree with Ooro - looks beeter than the red one 8)

How about a golden colour with the black bits - would look lush :D

Deffo the white...... instantly made me sit up straight whilst involuntarily nodding my head and muttering the word "Yeahhhhhhh"...... also lovin the idea of de-chroming/blacking all the deluxe trim and headlight rings etc etc.... kind of gives it an OG look with a modern/german twist! IMHO perfect for Porka powered bus :D

the more i look at the white bus, the more i like! it would mean getting some deluxe trim and getting it black - whether it is anodised or just painted.

thanks guys i have also found this on pelicanparts forum for detailing porsche engine which i like:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/tom_sharpes/911_engine_comp1.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NaFe

Latest posts