'69 Westy tintop in San Diego

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While they work on my bus , my parts hunt continues , today this arrived.
Slightly used Go Westy retractable seatbelts for only $60 and a backplate to replace one that is bent.

belts477.jpg

Picked up the 5th powdercoated wheel (spare tire) and sandblasted splash pans.
Splash pans changed color as soon as I got home :mrgreen:

002-1.jpg

003.jpg

009-1.jpg

My bus should be sprayed this coming weekend according to the paint shop , I am in a hurry now because there is a local person who is interested in buying it but wants to buy soon. Also the Classic is only 3 weeks away so better hurry up :mrgreen:
Trying to source the last parts I need like this front door seals original german VW , the best I could find from Busdepot 8)

belts521.jpg

belts524.jpg

Looks like the chap who wants to buy the van will be getting a quality van 8)

Looking forward to seeing the pics after the work and parts added ;)

gninnam said:
Looks like the chap who wants to buy the van will be getting a quality van 8)

Looking forward to seeing the pics after the work and parts added ;)

Thanks Andy 8)

Tonight I decided to remove the ugly dry rotten top off my Westy cooler and try a trick I learned from a local restorer and that is to replace the plastic top with a surface from a donor Westy table top. That way it matches the rest of the surfaces.
The width of the cooler's top is 19 1/4 inches and lenght is 21 inches.
The width of the westy table is 20 inches and lenght about 24 , so the width difference is not enough to bother with in my opinion so I will only cut the lenght to size.
I started the process but it's too late to make noise with the electric saw so I will try and finish it in the morning before I go to work 8)
Here are some pictures of the progress so far.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

belts547.jpg

006-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

To finish up the cooler project I had to call one of my little helpers.

DSC04564.jpg

Measured up and applied some glue before little helper #2 (Quality control) showed up :D

DSC04566.jpg

Here's the almost finished project.

DSC04569.jpg

DSC04568.jpg

Next to install the spice rack.

DSC04571.jpg

Some glue on the top surface before it goes up.

DSC04573.jpg

DSC04574.jpg

Airtime said:
Cracking job Juan! :)

And I agree with Andy, this will be a top van once finished! 8)

Thanks mate , working hard to finish it but is not looking like it will be all finished for the Classic , this are pictures of 10 days ago , still no paint on it :(

belts549.jpg

belts552.jpg

thats goint to be a top bus when its done.
Im in the same boat waiting for paint, it should have been 'painted by the end of next week' for nearly two months now, and im banned from going to look today because apparently he has finally started...

its the waiting thats so hard.
Keep up the good work.

antoine said:
thats goint to be a top bus when its done.
Im in the same boat waiting for paint, it should have been 'painted by the end of next week' for nearly two months now, and im banned from going to look today because apparently he has finally started...

its the waiting thats so hard.
Keep up the good work.

The waiting and the lying are not fun :x still hoping to get this bus to the Classic but is not looking like it will be finished on time :(
In the meantime I'm buying the last bits.
This is as close as I could find for a replacement power inlet , it is metal and heavy duty.

junio001.jpg

junio005.jpg

junio003.jpg

Also got some fabric for the curtains , my wife's grandma will be doing this for me :mrgreen:

junio009.jpg

Well finally some paint on the bus , they still have to finish the front doors and the cab floor but according to them next week should be finished
eusa_liar1.gif

Today we got the 3 rear windows in with new rubbers , I almost forgot how easy this windows go in and how fun of a project this is
eusa_liar1.gif
:lol:
Here are the pictures I took today , tomorrow I go shopping for more bits at the Classic :mrgreen:

junio007.jpg

junio006.jpg

junio014.jpg

junio011.jpg

junio009-1.jpg

junio015.jpg

junio004.jpg

junio005-1.jpg

Thanks guys , can't wait to get it home to put it all together.

Today my wife's grandmother finished the curtains and also did a couple of pillows to match.
Loving grandma a lot :D

DSC04782.jpg

DSC04781.jpg

I also picked up the front seats from the trimmers , they came out very nice.

DSC04778.jpg

DSC04776.jpg

DSC04771.jpg

Oh , and the bus is coming home very soon.

DSC04763.jpg

Dirty Harry said:
Yeah, nearly ready! 8) 8)
Is this one staying or does it come across the pond?

I am meeting with a possible buyer this weekend so it may stay in San Diego , if it doesn't work out it will be up for sale right away as I am picking up another camper next month and need to move this one.
Cheers.