'69 Westy tintop in San Diego

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gninnam said:
Good job 8)

What did you use, a flap wheel on a grinder?

I used one of this paint removal discs , it works great and does not damage the metal.

image_1684.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/replacement-wheel-for-electric-paint-remover-66101.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just so happens I was looking at one of those yesterday at the local motor factors! Wondered how good it is and it looks to be like you have answered my question :D

Got some more parts in.

New Hankook RA08 tires , the best for stock height bus IMO 8)

belts321.jpg

Gotta love NOS parts :D , if I could only find them in pairs :?

belts322.jpg

belts331.jpg

I had some metal repairs done over the weekend ,they still need cleaning up but it is solid in those places now, the bus will be going to the paint shop in about 2 weeks.

belts385.jpg

belts387.jpg

This bus is for sale as a finished project , inquire about price.

This parts just came in , front signal lights seals , bumper end seals and front emblem clips , a few bits at a time 8)
I can picture in now :D

belts.jpg

The parts parade keeps coming , won this parts on ebay.
Nice '69 rearview mirror , door card clip boots , rear emblem securing clips , not much but one step closer 8)

belts405.jpg

belts406.jpg

Today I decided to clean the cargo area floor , good news is there is no rust holes , bad news is it was soooo dirty and plenty of surface rust. I started by cleaning up the floor , then grind the surface rust out , then apply a coat of POR 15 to prevent new rust and finally I had them mix some matching paint into a rattle that I will apply to clean things up. I'm not done yet but close.

bus003.jpg

bus004.jpg

bus009.jpg

bus010.jpg

bus011.jpg

Also this 2 parts came in this weekend.

bus012.jpg

gninnam said:
Coming together nicely :mrgreen:

Thanks mate 8)

Today I was able to continue and it looks much better already , it will later be covered by plywood and furniture but at least I'll know that is clean under there.

wls011.jpg

wls015.jpg

wls023.jpg

I also picked up my sandblasted front bumper.

wls005.jpg

And my powder coated wheels rolling on new Hankooks.

wls002.jpg

Looking good Juan. Just read your article in Camper and Bus. Looks like a cool show. 8) One day I'll make some shows over that side of the pond.

Not boring (just :D ).

Will get more interesting when all the bits are added ;)

Heebee_GB said:
Looking good Juan. Just read your article in Camper and Bus. Looks like a cool show. 8) One day I'll make some shows over that side of the pond.

Thanks mate , I can't wait to get a copy of the magazine , I just got apri's so need to wait a bit until it gets here.
You should definately try to make it to the VW Classic some time , it is almost a whole week of events around the LA area , definately worth it , I know of a couple of earlybayers trying to make it to this year's.

gninnam said:
Not boring (just :D ).

Will get more interesting when all the bits are added ;)

No doubt mate.
The bus was dropped for a fresh coat of paint this weekend , so in the meantime I will get the curtains and interior seat covers done.

Today , not expecting it, I got a call from a friend's nephew looking to buy the bus , who knows if he'll buy it or not but it is good to have interest before even finishing the project 8)

I got this bumper guards for the bus , 3 are straight and one needs a bit of help , I will bring them to the body shop when I go check on the progress on my bus this saturday and see if they can fix it or if I should find a better one.

belts368.jpg

Yesterday I went to check the progress on my bus and to help remove windows and disassemble doors.

066.jpg

069.jpg

063.jpg

059.jpg

Seatbelt mounts and seat rails are solid.

075.jpg

073.jpg

080.jpg

Ceiling plywood looks nice , there are no cracks on it so I may keep it and just give it a freshen up.

067.jpg