'70 bay...resto cal...restowagen type thing? dunno really?!?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
faux said:
This is definitely worthy of a feature, mine made it :mrgreen: :shock: and it doesn't look a sweet as this.
in the famous words of eddy murphy in beverly hills cop.....

'get the f#ck outta here?!?!' :lol:

but very kind of you to say so!!!

im am mixing you and winsurfer up...sorry..... both extremly cool rides!
so how about it.... my SA's plus cash for your speeds!?!?! ;) you keep going on about you want em?!?! :mrgreen:

and all this talk of the matrix is reminding me of that airbrushed purple EB....used to have (may still have) chrome spinners on it! hmmmmmmm?!?!? :?

well ive had a reet feckin mare with cash burning a hole in my pocket and my SAs slowly going rusty....

bought a set of polished torkers....then passed them up
tried to find a set of cheapish empi sprint repops....couldnt
decided on a set of mws.... then read all the numerous threads about mws quality...
tried to talk faux out of his speedmasters....couldnt
got offered a 2nd hand set of mws sprints...cheap....then the guy went to ground
decided on another set of mws torkers..... quality?!?!
kept my eyes peeled for a set of og sprints....none about
bought a set of flat 4 sprints real cheap..did the deal and then the guy sold em to someone else?!?!
tried again to talk faux out of his speeds.....no chance
found a set of 4.5 chrome og sprints on the samba (pure sex)..... bloke never got back to me

so feck it!!! ive decided to save my cash.... the SAs are going back to the powdercoaters (different company) for the 2nd time!!!
40 notes a wheel for blast, zinc prime, powder coat black....back to me to mask up and then back for the silver detailing...finally followed by clear top coat...... bargain and much cheaper than last time!!!!

this time they will look lovely and shiney and hopefully stay that way....

also i had a revelation today whilst cruising around in my bus in the sun....
it doesnt need to be any lower and the beam doesnt need narrowing especially homebrew stylee!!!!!

i'll just wait until i can afford to buy a narrowed/lowered beam, all the other necessary bits and a set of adjustable spring plates...all off the shelf!

thru_a_lupe said:
so feck it!!! ive decided to save my cash.... the SAs are going back to the powdercoaters

also i had a revelation today whilst cruising around in my bus in the sun....
it doesnt need to be any lower and the beam doesnt need narrowing especially homebrew stylee!!!!!

i'll just wait until i can afford to buy a narrowed/lowered beam, all the other necessary bits and a set of adjustable spring plates...all off the shelf!

Sensible....very sensible 8)

well today has been the worst day in 'ernie history'..... :(

took the van over to my parents driveway just to take the wheels off ready for the powdercoaters...

firstly i knocked over 2 tubs of all my dads alotment seedlings....got a bollocking for that
then i caught the piece of carpet, i was using to make lying on the gravel more comfortabley, on my front number plate and bent it in half....
then the beam adjuster gave way.....so no matter how high i jacked it....the wheels wouldnt come off the ground..
then whilst trying to remove one of the rear wheels i bent the arch and therefore cracked the skim of filler from when the arch was replaced.....so now i have about a 20 inch crack all along the panel...
then i discovered another dent in the front panel from some dickhead that obviously cant reverse park...
then i removed the creative rack clamps to get them re-powdercoated....span one of the bolts and took a huge chunk out of my finger...
inspected the rust on the roof.....its now that bad that im going to have to get a section incl the gutter replaced....
found lots more rust i didnt realise was there....
then found one of my new front tyre is going bold on the inside edge...ive only been running them 10 months...

its just not been my day! :x

have also changed my mind about the narrowed beam....having seen the beam tubes and end plates for sale on here...
thinking about a using them to make a mild 2" narrowed beam..... using the adjuster from my beam....
been looking at this.....
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=14524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

any advice about it would be greatfully recieved via pm...... :mrgreen:

well things are looking up a bit....

just got the wheels back from the powdercoater having had them blasted, zinc primered and first coat of black....

DSCF4076.jpg

schweeeet!!!!

and then spent 4 hours masking them....

DSCF4078.jpg

and then back to the powdercoaters for silver detailing and and clearcoat....

cant wait to get them back all finished and shiny shiney!!! :mrgreen:

oh and heres a couple of pics i took after a polishing session week before last...

DSCF4012.jpg

DSCF4014.jpg

Looking sweet, i went through a phase of wanting everything i saw, then decided screw it just drive the damn thing, rome wasn't built in a day.
Still want everything i see just prioritising things a little different now a days.

Sorry to hear about the crap day, bus ownership sucks some days! But the weekends make up for it.

2" narrowed beam is the route I went and am really happy with it so far.

Jon

well having spent the last 3 days cooped up with chest infection... i managed to cheer myself up yesterday by going and picking up the freshly powder coated SA's!!!

hmmmm shiney shiney....

DSCF4095.jpg

then got the tyres back on!!!

DSCF4101.jpg

well happy with them!!!
so if i can shift this infection and get back to normal.... hopefully should be picking up a weedeater and getting it fitted this week..... hopefully all ready for the early bay camp out and then the bristol show....

in the meantime though have recently finished refurbing the interior....

PIC01224.jpg

with a little hint as to how the table and the general theme looks...

DSCF3919.jpg

Dude lovin your bus , and the shiny shiny SA's was thinking of a ratty set on my Panel Van , Hmmmmmmmm :?

And if you got any stickers left over could i pikey em off ya ?? :mrgreen:

thru_a_lupe said:
with a little hint as to how the table and the general theme looks...

DSCF3919.jpg

Dude,
I've never seen so many Ol' Skool Skate stickers. I love it :mrgreen:
The H Street Matt Hensley one rocks, he was always my favourite Skater!

thru_a_lupe said:
thanks for the very kind words people....
wish it still looked as good as in the pics....has been a bit unloved over the winter months.... still plenty of time to get it bit sorted for the volksworld show......

thankyou all again...

Nice bus, I am sitting here wondering how to go getting my bus onto the old skool wide 5 so I can do the sprinstar or S.A. wheels. Yours is one of the nicest buses in a forum full of nice buses.
I think it's a matter of pride that our buses get a bit lees than perfect. It is because of using them, not hiding them away or worse. Like taking them out to shows on a trailer like so many others do with their cars.
I saw a program that featured 1940s and 50s Fords recently and the boys there cosidered a stone chip picked up on a road trip as a trophy. Can't say I like their choice of ride, but I will fight to the death to uphold their right to make that choice.
And the vibe here is all good, it's why I keep popping in.

lobus said:
Yours is one of the nicest buses in a forum full of nice buses.

your too kind by half!!! :mrgreen: i have always admired the lobus....having first seen it on hoodride , i think, many years ago! shame its on the other side of the planet!!!!

i like em with dents... shows character, age, usability etc.... ive even considered taking a rubber mallet to one on my rear quarters...but that would be wrong!!!! and would probably go horribley wrong!!!!

as for the old skool skate stickers.... a cheeky little clue.... colour inkjet printer so dont look too close!!!!!! ;)
so none to be piked off me im afraid grazy!

anyway...you are all too kind..... and there are pics to follow soon of the new beam and stance!!!! :mrgreen:

prepare for photo-fest!!!!!

all jacked up and ready for beam removal.....

DSCF4231.jpg

quite surprised as a couple of hours work and the beam is out.... no dramas apart from cracking a ball jont whilst still under load and torsion arm cracking me on the wrist..... still hurts now!!!!

DSCF4237.jpg

DSCF4239.jpg

next job was to prep the wheels and get the powdercoat off the bolt holes...very important kids!

DSCF4233.jpg

dirty cheap new beam.....mmmmmm!!!!

DSCF4236.jpg

heres a tip.... when drilling your torsion leaves.... take a file and flat off the torsion edges so the pilot drill doesnt slip around...

DSCF4247.jpg

after a lot of fetling....managed to slip the shortened torsion leaves back through the beam without welding the ends...not bad!
beam starts to go together...

DSCF4245.jpg

once fitted up the beam slips onto the bus...pretty much with out a hitch! surely its not sposed to be this easy?!?

DSCF4257.jpg

then set about cutting, shortening and rewelding the tie rods....

DSCF4252.jpg

all back together, tightened, torqued and a new set of shocks later and the first look at home it now sits.... chuffed to flook!!!!

DSCF4258.jpg

with a nice bit of tuckage...but not too severe!

DSCF4259.jpg

and lastly all put back to bed ready for the bristol show this weekend!!!!!

DSCF4275.jpg

jp :mrgreen:

looks the dogs mate :D how much is that narrowed by?? got some 14" SA sprints for my crewcab and im thinking of going narro with kinky linkpins :mrgreen:

Latest posts