72 Crossover Dormobile

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zcat7

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Crossover
I was asked to post some pictures of "Betsy", my Dormobile. Here are a couple to start with, I'll take a couple at better angles later. The beachfront shot is taken on the Isle of Wight at the 2010 music festival (that was a weekend I can tell you...)

DSC00536-1.jpg

DSC00627.jpg

DSC01786.jpg

VW7.jpg

Neil

Nice is that a 1600 and what's it go like with twin carbs?

Very nice looking van 8)
Nice to see you have retained the Dormy interior (with the addition of the fridge) too :D

Hi Wayne

It's a 1641 actually and the twin Solex's made a hell of a difference when fitted. I am still trying to dial out hesitation on pickup, which I believe is either some crap in the accelerator circuit or most likely the 009 dizzy. Petronix and Flamethrower coil helped a lot with start and idle and seemed to solve the hesitation somewhat but I've yet to cure it entirely. Great on a run though and hills are no longer daunting. All that and better MPG! I don't know why everyone doesn't do it :)

Hi Gninnam

Thanks! :D I was a fan of the Dormy interior from the off; I love the Martin Walther roof and all the light you get from that and the open layout. I made the bed full width too with 2 extra cushion sets. I have to confess that the fridge was already fitted, though it doesn't work off the gas for some reason :(

I hope to tidy up the engine bay and a few scabs and scars soon also.

Neil

Nice bus Neil, hope to get mine to this standard 8)
Your enginer bay is a mess though mine is much tidier :lol: I have removed the engine which helps :roll:

So harsh Harry ;) "Chrome won't get you home" as they say! :p LOL. Yes it's a bit grubby, the PO had the crankcase venting to air INSIDE the engine bay hence the oily film everywhere. :roll: Also, when I dropped the engine to put the carbs on I pulled the fuel tank cover off to replace a split vent pipe (cabin stank of fuel the whole time) hence the general scruffiness around the screw heads and the scabby bit to the left of the left carb where the paint just stripped straight off. A PO had tried to lever the panel off there without removing all the screws at some point too so I had to beat it back into shape :shock: It's one of those jobs I have pencilled in for next time the engine's out.

Neil

LOL. No problem Bluenose, I don't have patent on the colour so feel free to copy away! I even have the paint code if you (or anyone else) would like it.

Neil

Latest posts