Blanking holes left by J tubes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I’ve read this some where so I have tried it and it seems to be ok. I have cut a coke can and used the bottom to seal the holes in the heating system left by the removal of the heat exchangers. Anyone got a better idea? Obviously I know heat exchangers would be best but I don’t use the van in winter and have never had heat anyway but I do get a whiff of exhaust now and again

There was a discussion on The Samba about blocking the holes; a very respected member had done loads of testing for the best cooling scenario and he found out that blocking completely the holes kind of messed the distribution of air and created some turbulence. He said after drilling a 1/2” hole solved the issue. That hole would simulate the normal flow that you have with the exchangers in the closed position.

Abel

I read it as blocking the holes in the bottom tinware for the flexi-pipes not the holes in the fan shroud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty74 said:
I read it as blocking the holes in the bottom tinware for the flexi-pipes not the holes in the fan shroud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's this then get the scat tin without the holes. The last thing you want is hot air getting back into the engine bay.

It is the tin and not the shroud. I’ve looked at rubber but the holes are right above and inches away from exhaust so that isn’t going to work. I’ll get there. Could I put the air hoses back in and let them just dangle

I see you have a 72 so the scat tin wouldn't fit. whatever you do make sure it's properly sealed so no hot air from the exhaust get back into the engine bay.

Latest posts