Can i pick your collective brains????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba dubba

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need a bit of help as ive googled and googled and now I am more confused :lol:. Im not the most mechanically minded so go easy on me :D . Basically I have just changed the oil and it stinks of petrol and was very thin, although it wasn't any higher in level, as i measured 2.5 litres of the old stuff into the container?. It also is a bit of a pig to start if I leave it for say a week, it does always start but takes a lot of cranking. I have just adjusted the electric choke in the hope that will make starting easier as it always used to fire up quickly.
Once started it runs fine and will then start first turn of the key no problem until its left for a few days again.
I have a weber progressive 32/36 carb (i know not everbodys favourite) that is reasonably new as was put on when the engine was rebuilt a few years ago and done few miles since.
So whats your thoughts??.
From what ive read it could be leaking diaphragm in the fuel pump allowing fuel to get into the engine, would this in turn drain the bowl in the carb hence the long cranking before starting???, or am I barking up the wrong tree?.
Ive also read it could be that its parked nose up but I don't think my garage floor is that out of level.
Are there any other reasons for the symptoms I have described that you can think of?

thanks in advance for any ideas you can give me............kev :D

As above - very similar symptoms to mine - you may have already read this thread...

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If your oil level rises then yes it's the fuel pump leaking petrol into the oil.
If on the other hand your oil level does not rise then the fuel pump is not the problem.
A faulty fuel pump will not drain fuel from the carburettor.

If the fuel is draining from the carburettor then check the carb. The float chamber, the accelerator pump etc to find where the fuel is going.

Thanks everyone for your help,

Tricky, im pretty sure the fuel is in the oil by the smell of it, and I think the level is still as it should be as its been leaking out slowly as its so thin??....again im no mechanic I don't know if this is wishful thinking. Hmm so the hard starting is not due to the faulty fuel pump draining the carb, hopefully it was down to the choke not set correctly then, ive adjusted the choke and I have ordered a new fuel pump as well as that will rule out that being the problem and im going to leave it another day or so and then try a start and see how it starts.

thanks again......Kev

Latest posts