can i run with part synthetic oil

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwvanman0

Reaction score
Having a bad day today,done an oil change as the level seems to have risen,guess petrol is getting in there somehow

drained the sump then realised the oil i have is castrol gtx 15/40 part synthetic.

will this be any good? or do i need mineral oil.

thanks,steve.

Synthetic oil is fine, let's move with the times people. Just make sure it's the right grade, most of the "normal" castrol et al doesn't perform too well at hot. I use the halfrauds classic oil.

my choice is quality 20/50, one that contains zddp...

Sniff the old oil - it should not smell of petrol.

If you have petrol getting in the oil then theres only 2 ways.

1. The carb is flooding and fuel is running down the inlet manifold, into the combustion chamber and making its way past the rings - solution check carb is not flooding.

2. The fuel pump diaphragm is leaking/porous and is allowing fuel past, which drops into the case - solution remove fuel pump and check.

Thanks guys for putting my mind at ease,

re the fuel in the oil,I'm pretty sure the level has risen and it does whiff of oil.

I had a go with a emisions tester and the co2 was up at 7% so well rich,I've wound my mixture screws in a turn.

I'm looking to get it all set up on a rolling road I'm running a 1776 with 36 delortos.

Cheers,Steve.

I do not have loads of time with the vw's but doing some researce on Syn oils for other app's such as my vintage race bikes and water cooled cars I have settled on this oil http://www.royalpurple.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they carry 30,40,50 wt oil as well as multi grades ( 30-50) and have a high zddp level. This is my choice for all my cars and race bikes, will soon be changing the VW over to it once the motor is broke in.

Latest posts