engine mods

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maybee

Reaction score
hi want to up grade my 1500 sp to 1641tp i belive 1641 barrels and pistons will fit on my 1500 and upgade to tp heads is this poss and are their any pobs you can think of ,the 1500 is agood solid engine ono end float no rattles ect and starts fist time every time is this a good idear or should i base it on a 1600 ????

maybee said:
hi want to up grade my 1500 sp to 1641tp i belive 1641 barrels and pistons will fit on my 1500 and upgade to tp heads is this poss and are their any pobs you can think of ,the 1500 is agood solid engine ono end float no rattles ect and starts fist time every time is this a good idear or should i base it on a 1600 ????

Im no 1500 expert but probably better to spend the money on a set of carbs with SP manifolds if your engine really is in good nick - whats the compression & oil consumption like?
If you got carbs then you can always upgrade to TP when the time comes......

Hiya may,

There are some definite considerations to mull over when doing this conversion.

The 1500 case will have smaller oil passages (8mm) than a 1600 case (10mm). Then too, a later 1600 case will be of the dual relief style which is quite desireable in building a performance engine. This is NOT to say that a 1500 case cannot or should not be used, just that there may be advantages in using a 1600.

You might want to consider changing the oil cooler and the fanshroud cooling system. The doghouse with its offset oil cooler, introduced with dual ports in 1971, is a much better cooling system and, IMHO, absolutely necessary for a performance engine.

thanx not realy after a performance engine just a bit of up hill grunt and easy cruising have been told that the 1500 is a stronger bottom end and was thinking that 1600 / 1641 whould be a cost efective way to do this dont know if sp to tp
heads will mave much difference ?? can all ways go to external cooler / filter to improve the oil side

Have just found out i have twin port heads fitted to my engine but the tinware, fan and oil cooler are single port. I knew the heads were tp but didn't no the subtle differences of the tin/cooler etc. My man has asked if i have had any problems of overheating and i haven't. It runs really well. He advises leave alone.

Should i be concerned? As maybee above says, could always fit an external oil cooler to help things out if need be.

Ta Al

If you have the time and money I would put together a stroker motor for when the one you have finally get tired, this should mean you have at least a couple of year to slowly build up the part for a bigger motor.

The only way you will get a real improvement in performance is a longer stroke engine this will give you much better low down torque, which will help with pulling away and hill climbing, it should also give you a better top end and more relaxed crusing, due to the engine not having to work so hard to push you along.

Well that my 2 pence worth, I dont think a 1641 will give enough of an improvement to be worth it, but a 1700cc+ will give you a notable improvement and an engine which doesnt need to work as hard.

i must agree with noddy, a 1641 upgrade on a beetle or a variant is a good upgrade, but due to the extra weight and piss poor areodynamics it would'nt be that worthwhile. i've got plans for a hot 2110cc built from the ground up, for abit of future touring across europe :D oh and a better transmission for criusing without going deaf :lol:

I agree with Noddy.The best way to improve uphill driving is to increase the torque.The best way to do that is to increase the stroke.The type 1 engine is very over square.With a stroke of 69mm compared to a bore of 83mm for 1500 or 85.5 for 1600.For good torque you really need that extra stroke.

I agree going to 1641 won't improve things that much.The only time it may be worth it is if you original pistons and barrells are worn out anyway.

But for a quick in expensive fix what Loxy says is a good idea,stick a decent set of twin carbs on to improve things for now.Maybe stick a twinport fanhousing and oil cooler on too,that will make the engine bullet proof.And then start building your stroker engine from scratch,as you won't be able to use many parts from your single port engine except the twin carbs if you get them re jetted.

Latest posts