Gear selection adjustment ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers guys I just hope i can get it sorted.. as a matter of interest, how smooth are your buses in all gears up and down and downhill ? i think. Il start tomorrow with the usual second gear and then adjust. Would any of you know of something online i could follow to get the best outcome ? Plus would you know the exact position of the plate etc itself roughly ? Cheers 🤙.

try this
http://www.vw-resource.com/plateadj.html
My gears are pretty good but changing from 3rd to 2nd is always a bit more difficult. The way I change down is to remember that these are old buses, and not rush the change and pause in neutral slightly until I can push it into 2nd without using force.

good luck, you'll get there.

try this
My gears are pretty good but changing from 3rd to 2nd is always a bit more difficult. The way I change down is to remember that these are old buses, and not rush the change and pause in neutral slightly until I can push it into 2nd without using force.

good luck, you'll get there
Oooh this is cool cheers for that link. Il be honest i would never of tried that with putting in reverse etc. Well have literally just came in from tying just that on that page on my bus and well im not going to jinx anything but things feel quite different and more free i think. I think a little more tinkering in the morning and i may have cracked it but m not saying anything yet ha. Cheers once again .🤙

Hey all. Well i just took her out to get petrol after it all and she's shifting a million times better. Me being me im still not 100% and it will take me a few more drives untill im satisfied ha. There was a little crunch turning into the driveway but that was my fault i think. Overall so far so good. 🤙

try this

good luck, you'll get there.
Mine does this and a stick wiggle then into second does the trick.

I never new all the adjustment stuff and I’ve had the stick off a few times. Looks as though I could have been lucky

I'm just about to try and adjust mine as I have a new recon box. It's OK, but hard to get into 1st and a bit notchy, at least it doesn't hit reverse instead of 2nd like my old box, but 2nd-3rd-2nd requires a bit more effort than I'm used to. Does anyone have some instructions to hand just to get me started. Haynes? I've got one somewhere.

I'm just about to try and adjust mine as I have a new recon box. It's OK, but hard to get into 1st and a bit notchy, at least it doesn't hit reverse instead of 2nd like my old box, but 2nd-3rd-2nd requires a bit more effort than I'm used to. Does anyone have some instructions to hand just to get me started. Haynes? I've got one somewhere.
See my previous post

"Try adjusting the gear shift again, put it into 2nd gear, loosen the two bolts holding the base of the gearshift and move the gearstick so that the bottom bit is vertical and the cranked bit is at 30 degrees to the rear of the van. Then move the shift plate as far left as possible without moving the gearstick. Tighten the two bolts. This should help selection of 1st and 2nd.
If the lever doesn't travel straight forward and back in the 1st/2nd plane, try slightly twisting the shiftplate.

If this doesn’t work make sure the front shaft bush under the gear stick is OK, check the collar attaching the two shift rods is secure, then the rear shift coupler at the gearbox.
If the bushing is worn at the rear coupler this can give poor gear selection."

Latest posts