Loose rear drum

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67westy

Reaction score
Got a bit of an issue with one of my rear drums. Last year we had some noise from the rear and found the rear drum loose. Split pin was in place but nut was loose. Took it all apart, replaced bearings and put on a new nut and pin and torqued up correctly. Didnt spot anything obviously wrong so I thought all was good.

Now on the last trip out the noise came back and the nut is again loose, split pin still in place. This is in less than 1500 miles.

So any idea as to what to check? Should I have rechecked the torque after a while? Plan of action at the minute is to retorque but I'm a bit worried something else might be wrong......

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Just looking back at my pics from when it was last apart. There was a lip on the inner face so maybe it's eaten into that even more. Time for new drums?

6e9bd3efc6662ff0a4ae287721703074.jpg

;) Wow that's different. I think I'd be looking possibly at the splines, going on the principle that there needs to be some movement to allow any wear. OH, is the thread good all the way down, run the nut up and down without the drum to make sure there isn't a fault in the thread that you are torquing to. And the hole for the pin ? Is this elongated maybe ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, trust you to be different ;) :mrgreen: ;)

Hi Adam I had this , could see nothing so tightened up again only for it to go big style in padstow , it turned out to be the thread on the stub axel , fitted a second hand one , no problems since , hope this helps .

Cheers guys good info :) sounds like the thread is the main suspect then. I will whip the drum off next weekend and have a good look at it. Got this picture from last time it was apart, can't see much in this so probably needs a closer inspection. Splines look alright as well...

62c05aab44df52afaf168f8b714abf58.jpg
f137765fb8a5d66a7e0937d68c2f3410.jpg

Have the splines on the drum itself worn and are allowing movement in one or more directions? Our old van was found to be like this, the splines were almost non-existent on one drum and it ended up in the bin. Despite the nut being torqued correctly, I guess the massive forces acting on the drums when the van is in motion means that the drum is free to rotate on the stub and increase the wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moseley said:
Have the splines on the drum itself worn and are allowing movement in one or more directions? Our old van was found to be like this, the splines were almost non-existent on one drum and it ended up in the bin. Despite the nut being torqued correctly, I guess the massive forces acting on the drums when the van is in motion means that the drum is free to rotate on the stub and increase the wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have a check at the weekend although I think they seemed in good nick. Cheers!

Well I got the wheel off. Good news is splines and thread on the stub axle look good. Drum, not so good! Worn away about 1mm or so and is now below the depth of the splines in the drum. Time for a new drum, I think I'll just do one side as the other is fine and there isn't a lot of wear on the braking surface

504e37f7a6d3f64850cf611d70468272.jpg
526fcf78b686513a596665e405e800ae.jpg
aaf4719cd4c3329723ba3d2b37bf8573.jpg

That sort of wear would normally be associated with a loose hub nut. Can't offer more help on that other than to say, make sure the stub axle is fully inserted in to the hub. A rubber mallet can help, and make sure everything is properly tight again. How are you setting the torque? Do you have a suitable torque wrench? Or a torque multiplier? Or calculated weight and leverage?

Stub axle is definitely in far enough I think it may have been loose in the distant past and then over the years it has slowly worn. Last time I noticed the lip but thought it was torquing down properly but it must of bottomed out right at the end. It has always been done with a suitable torque wrench when I have done it.

So i found out my dad has a suitable machine for doing this so took the lip off both sides, outer face was only very slight but thought it best to make sure. Also made up 2 2.5mm spacers, one should be enough I think

aaef91f797413b3c3666d21ba3d4bacd.jpg
fd0ea1b2231d12323f4373a821b4d2de.jpg
744c7aab84da26882201d7c9e60ca401.jpg
c88215d6e42b5366bf82b4763400a516.jpg

Good stuff mate, I fear I may be looking at the same issue soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

*Sam* said:
Good stuff mate, I fear I may be looking at the same issue soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
My advice would be to do it sooner rather than later. I imagine it will reach a point where it has eaten in too far to use a spacer. I have a spare 2.5mm one if you need it.

Spacer in place
0b213449922ecc14dc19090a056cded8.jpg

Drum without it, you can see the end of the thread.
1646c062f0c145ec94b79a4e8a3f385b.jpg

Drum with spacer
b07ce0594ad23a5bae129b1ca18350ee.jpg

Thank you of the offer, i will take a look at it some time as I'm knee deep in engine parts at the moment.

Latest posts