Major resto project order of work list?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

type2tattoo

Reaction score
Hi people :)

I am getting back to work on my resto after a bit of a break (my wrist) lol

Can anyone give me advice on which order to do things in? at the mo the floor is out and I am 3/4's through welding the chassis, will get on with all the other panels next, have done the sliding door and front panel :)

The new loom is on its way and I am wondering at what stage I should tackle putting that in? Does anyone have a sort of breakdown of what order they did things? would be very helpful

Cheers for any help :)

On my beetle, I'm planning on fitting the new loom after paint.

Otherwise there is a chance / liklihood of getting paint all over the brand new loom, and that wouldn't look so good.

Tofufi said:
On my beetle, I'm planning on fitting the new loom after paint.

Otherwise there is a chance / liklihood of getting paint all over the brand new loom, and that wouldn't look so good.

I have never done a full resto but agree; paint on wiring or seals etc. would spoil it for me.

I agree wiring loom would be after the paint for me.My order would be Main chassis rails first then make a list of all the bits you need to repair or replace.Doesn't really matter which order you do it in,depends on space etc how you can get round the van.Are you doing it in a garage or outside? If outside you will have to do one bit at a time and seal as you go.If you're doing it in a garage you could go for it.
I would get a chassis tilter/roller it would be so much easier,I wish I'd got one.
Once you've got all the structural stuff out the way,sills jacking points and outriggers etc start doing the outside panels.
You got any pictures of it?

Thanks people :) I will leave the loom till nearer the end then, there are some pics here..... http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14230" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

VWAIRCOOLED said:
I agree wiring loom would be after the paint for me.My order would be Main chassis rails first then make a list of all the bits you need to repair or replace.Doesn't really matter which order you do it in,depends on space etc how you can get round the van.Are you doing it in a garage or outside? If outside you will have to do one bit at a time and seal as you go.If you're doing it in a garage you could go for it.
I would get a chassis tilter/roller it would be so much easier,I wish I'd got one.
Once you've got all the structural stuff out the way,sills jacking points and outriggers etc start doing the outside panels.
You got any pictures of it?

Thanks :) its at my friends garage so is stored outside but when he gets time the work can be done inside and he has ramps so thats a lot easier, I do have access to a roller and would like to get it on there just for a laugh but it might be easier to do the brakes on the roller.... will see and will take lots of pics if I do'

The trouble with the paint is I would really like to get it on the road for Vanfest this year but doubt I will be able to afford the exterior paint by then, maybe I can get the interior painted in time :)

Latest posts