My 1971 Deluxe from the boys at Kieft en Klok

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!
I can't believe that's just happened..... Stripped the thread in my new case tapping out 3/8" NPT..... Not happy :-(
Especially when now been turned away from 3 workshops to rectify it for me. My last hope was happy to take it on, can't do until 3 weeks, Morgan Engineering, Coleford...

note to self DON'T WORK ON THE BUS OFF NIGHTS !!!

Need to forget about the engine for a bit now onto the bus this week...windows in, gearbox out, clean, seal and schilts underneath. Busy times coming up!!!

Things moving on now....padded dash stripped, windows cleaned and seals fitted. Old drivers door stripped all bits cleaned and greased. Andrew spotted a piece of dirt in the paint so wasn't happy and got the gun out to paint bits that remained.

On its way into the booth

ryby9yse.jpg

u3yvyvub.jpg

umuqequz.jpg

Busy day 2mo, underneath to clean, drop gearbox out, seal and schilts. Then onto the rebuild Cab doors, fit windows....ttfn

Underside scraped, wire brushed, seam sealed, & Shultz'd. Gearbox is out ready to sent off for refurb. Here's some pics of the day....
The amount of shite removed..

gerejapa.jpg

ebu2aqu4.jpg

6y8u2ura.jpg

quvu5u7u.jpg

ury4ezuq.jpg

Gearbox ready for refurb

agy4ytav.jpg

Enough from me Dyna-mat, windows and cab doors to build next on the agenda....out!!

Had a few busy days with lots of help from, good friend Nick who loves the rebuild of any bus, he has all the answers to my questions as he's done it with his bus.

Here's a few pics, the doors took an age to mat out and build..

y3ymurut.jpg

Still waiting on quarter lights from C&C, but had to open out all holes for window winder mechanism (yellow) and drill 2 new holes and fit captive nuts for door handle as in the wrong position (shown in Red), may pay to do all this prior to paint people.

za8y9ahu.jpg

se9ybysa.jpg

y2ahuzeh.jpg

It's official Nick is the Fat mat king, he done all this while I measured & checked about 30 times before taking a drill to the doors.

8aja4yre.jpg

Windows next.... Have got a question about swivel bases which I'll put in tech....that's enough for now....Ben

Had a little helper this afternoon, it was great to see him so eager to help out.
Love spending time on bus but miss my boy sometimes. So pleased both my missus and Finnian turned up.
Got them jobs to do straight away. But run out of Fat Mat....

amunajeh.jpg

evudyzag.jpg

Gearbox due for completion end of the week...so things moving on nicely, dash stripped, blasted and primed ready for covering need to chose colour of leather etc... Keep you posted... Ben

Got lots of bits arrived from all over haven't had the time to get done to the bus to start fitting...

Got some bits blasted and primed in etch this morning....

ubu2uhy2.jpg

Gearbox turned up fresh from Pete @ Cogbox today. Got Headlights, rear light lenses, front indicator lenses & housings to spray then fit.
Got a fuel tank resto kit from frost restoration, and grommets for fuel flap the fit to bus, front grill and vents etc .... Lots to do this week....should look I bit different by the end of the week..

Stripped & cleaned the dash console. Have got a question. Anyone know where I can get some beauty rings for the dials? I've seen them fitted to a few buses now but would like set..

sytahume.jpg

4agu8yte.jpg

Tidy!!!

Bay-low71 said:
Got lots of bits arrived from all over haven't had the time to get done to the bus to start fitting...

Got some bits blasted and primed in etch this morning....

ubu2uhy2.jpg

Gearbox turned up fresh from Pete @ Cogbox today. Got Headlights, rear light lenses, front indicator lenses & housings to spray then fit.
Got a fuel tank resto kit from frost restoration, and grommets for fuel flap the fit to bus, front grill and vents etc .... Lots to do this week....should look I bit different by the end of the week..

Stripped & cleaned the dash console. Have got a question. Anyone know where I can get some beauty rings for the dials? I've seen them fitted to a few buses now but would like set..

sytahume.jpg

4agu8yte.jpg

Tidy!!!

56 deluxe do the trims

Looks really good :cool:

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

dubscum said:
Bay-low71 said:

i spy with my little eye something beginning with ................. a badass kids mobi scooter mini split toy cart thing :msn4:

Good spotting!!!! It's my mate Nick who is building this, he has built a buggy already which is awesome, he was doing this to sell but now his kids have seen it they want the split not the buggy.... 1 will be up for sale...jury's still out which

gu5uqyvy.jpg

;-)

Another productive day, finished Fatmat on cab roof, engine lid on, headlights, indicators, rear lights, grill, vent flaps behind POR15 before fitting.

qyruhy4a.jpg

5a4y9avu.jpg

Fuel tank out ready for Frost resto kit, coming on nicely... Starting to look like a bay now. Waiting on quarter lights from Germany to C&C to build cab doors. Also getting the case back for rebuild of engine hopefully 2weeks max... Keep smiling, popping down the retro show in the Caldicot castle Sunday hopefully weather will be nice.. Keep smiling Ben

Lovely day in the sunshine today....clean tank inside & out prep outside and paint. Inside to metal ready and seal 2mo before the retro show me thinks....

Before

tugy8e6u.jpg

After

una2esan.jpg

Bit more sun 2mo please!!

Very nice, no bulkhead I see - those toomstones going to be on swivel bases I guess....

makes for a much more usable camper, just couldn't bring myself to do it, still cant, i have swivel envy. ;)

Yes I was going to fit 2 swivel bases, plan was to commission my mum to come up with a sleeping solution for our boy if the seats are face each other.

But it turns out a westy hammock can still be used with the tombstones so only one it is. I've been looking for the piece which gets welded to the tub for a long time with no luck. I have 1 complete base but need the last bit that welds into bus to complete the second base kit.

Right take 2, on the engine rebuild. John @ Morgan Engineering in Coleford pulled me out the sh#% and sorted all the plugging for me thoroughly recommend is a very busy workshop.

ydu6atan.jpg

Final coat to go on outside of fuel tank then refit, gearbox to refit... Tinware is being painted.... Lots of bits to sell, planning on a garage sale when Dubs @ the Castle is in town only live 5 mins walk from castle...keep smiling peeps.. Ben

Latest posts