New Build No Spark

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chico

Reaction score
Hi All

As some of you know have been building up a new engine after the last one spilt its guts .

So today was squeaky bum time, start up , see what happens …

Well nothing as it turns out , I'm starting outside of van ( no garage , no driveway, so just the easiest option)

so have everything hooked up in front garden (old bell housing courtesy of cog box , Many thanks )

So picture to see what I'm up too ...theres a fire extinguisher not far away …and yes thats petrol on a stick .. I know …

Anyway can't get a spark , i have two coils ( accuspark and bosch black ) both have 3ohms across + /- and i have two dizzy's accuspark electronic , and a points based (cant remember but probably JustKampers as there local )which i generally carry as a spare .

have tried each coil with each dizzy ( all were working recently ) but still can't get a spark .

I have a plus to the plus coil direct from battery and a negative to negative again direct from battery , have a neg to case and also to starter bolt , tested body of dizzys get earth and on case , tested +/ - on coil again both ok , HT leads were new in March ish (Petronix)

Im sure I'm probably just missing something and being stupid/daft , but can't figure it out .. Please help

Thanks

Chico

Hi Trikky

I have a neg in to coil from battery and then neg out from coil to points , should there not be a negative onto the coil ?

Thanks

Chico

Trikky2 said:
Negative on coil goes to points, not battery.

What he says. Don't put the battery negative to the coil negative. Take that off and you will have a spark.

All you need is battery positive to starter motor and coil +, negative to engine case, coil - to points, bridge the starter solenoid and it should fire up, all things being equal.

Chico said:
Hi Trikky

I have a neg in to coil from battery and then neg out from coil to points , should there not be a negative onto the coil ?

Thanks

Chico

Yes, no negative from battery to coil. By putting a neg on the coil from the battery you are bypassing the points. That's why you were not getting any spark.

Brilliant thanks Trikky / madman

Ill have a go this evening , see if shell fire up .

thanks for your help

Chico

Latest posts