New to the community

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theworm71

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
M-codes
474751 A41 141 191 793
Hello.

just got myself a 1971 Baywindow Dormobile. This is my first one and now I have one, I’m wondering why it took me so long to take the plunge. Got my first trip planned in a couple of weeks and I’m excited to load up and hit the road.
My air cooled journey has just begun!

I’m a bit of a novice but looking forward to familiarising myself with the ins and outs and doing a lot of the work myself.(no bodywork though) I’m more than likely going to be asking some silly questions to begin with regarding general maintenance, problem finding and repair garage recommendations.

I’ve missed a lot of the festivals this year but I’ll be attending a few next summer. Any recommendations welcomed.

Thanks for reading

It depends where you live, but definitely SkegVegas and Classics at the Clubhouse.
Dubs at the Castle is another.
Nice!
I’ll be travelling from London to Pembrokeshire a lot over the next 12 months so the two festivals that are south will be perfect.

Welcome to Earlybay, if you haven't already start a thread in the gallery and post up some pictures for us all to see. Love that you'll happily drive the width of the country in it too! Enjoy the journey of owning such a great bus :cool:

Welcome to Earlybay, if you haven't already start a thread in the gallery and post up some pictures for us all to see. Love that you'll happily drive the width of the country in it too! Enjoy the journey of owning such a great bus :cool:
Thanks. I definitely will start a thread in the gallery. Need to take more than one picture first though 😅

The journey normally takes about 6.5 hours in the car. (But that’s gone now) I only have the bus and Im preparing myself for around 9 hours. Haha

Are you running on super unleaded? I can remember the good old days when petrol for a Bay was relatively cheap!
Yea, the previous owner said to only use premium petrol and nothing from a supermarket petrol station. He also gave me a bottle of additive to mix in each time I put 1/2 a tank in. Plus this type of oil (in pic) Does this all sound right?

Attachments

• IMG_9410.jpeg
    IMG_9410.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9409.jpeg
    IMG_9409.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Welcome to the forum 😀

Don’t worry about asking daft questions it takes a while to learn about these old vehicles. A good guide is essential like Haynes and/or Bentley.
Thanks. It’s all a bit overwhelming at the moment and long journeys seem a bit daunting until I’ve learnt a few basics. I’ve ordered myself the Bentley manual and I’m eager to get involved!

Engine looks like this. There’s a bit of oil on the belt and a very small amount (like a thimbles worth) in well under the pulley wheel. I’ve got it booked in at BUGerdVW in Chippenham for a check over.
Anyone ever used them before?

I’ll get some pictures up in the gallery soon!

Really appreciate everyone’s comments and advice 🙏

Attachments

• IMG_9412.jpeg
    IMG_9412.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 1
Hey dude. Welcome to the club and cool to see another Dormobile too. Owning a bus is certainly a way of life as you will see in time 🙂. No question is silly on here and folks here are a great bunch so post up any questions you have and we shall help the best we can. If its an electrical question though then um its not my forte ha 🤙.

Hey dude. Welcome to the club and cool to see another Dormobile too. Owning a bus is certainly a way of life as you will see in time 🙂. No question is silly on here and folks here are a great bunch so post up any questions you have and we shall help the best we can. If its an electrical question though then um its not my forte ha 🤙.
Thanks for the message. It’s so nice to see such a good community on here.
Looking forward to familiarising my self with the ins and outs of the bus and attending some festivals and meeting some people!

Top tips from me ,,, firstly practice massaging your jaw and surrounding areas as you may get cramp from excess smiling. Back to your bay, get an oil change and try and keep to the same oil. I use Halfords classic multiflavour In the green can. Every time you go to drive your van, remember to check your oil before you start your motor and it’s stone cold. Then your oil should be on maximum but dont overfill it. If you do a bit of a longer trip and check your oil, the level should be just under maximum. The faster you drive the van, the more oil it’ll use. Over a few weeks you’ll get used to how much oil yours will drink according to how fast you drive and how much wear is on that motor plus now well tuned it is. Gradually perhaps after a month or so you’ll know exactly. I use Halfords as you can get it in most towns and I’ll always have a couple of litres in the van just in case. Second thing is get a new fan belt and fit it then you can keep the old one rolled up as a get you home spare. Sometimes it’s hard to get the exact belt you need so change it while you have options. Get yourself a nice book on your van and the Bentley book ticks all the boxes. Get a nice service and check all your fuel pipes and filters including your vents and your filler pipe. These are fifty plus years old and a lot still have their original pipes. :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,mostly practice your smiling and a bit of waving too :)

Top tips from me ,,, firstly practice massaging your jaw and surrounding areas as you may get cramp from excess smiling. Back to your bay, get an oil change and try and keep to the same oil. I use Halfords classic multiflavour In the green can. Every time you go to drive your van, remember to check your oil before you start your motor and it’s stone cold. Then your oil should be on maximum but dont overfill it. If you do a bit of a longer trip and check your oil, the level should be just under maximum. The faster you drive the van, the more oil it’ll use. Over a few weeks you’ll get used to how much oil yours will drink according to how fast you drive and how much wear is on that motor plus now well tuned it is. Gradually perhaps after a month or so you’ll know exactly. I use Halfords as you can get it in most towns and I’ll always have a couple of litres in the van just in case. Second thing is get a new fan belt and fit it then you can keep the old one rolled up as a get you home spare. Sometimes it’s hard to get the exact belt you need so change it while you have options. Get yourself a nice book on your van and the Bentley book ticks all the boxes. Get a nice service and check all your fuel pipes and filters including your vents and your filler pipe. These are fifty plus years old and a lot still have their original pipes. :)

Absolutely this. Especially checking fuel lines. 🤙.

Welcome to the forum!
Great to see you’ve got so much enthusiasm, as ozziedog said it puts a smile on your face every time you drive it. Maintenance is half the fun. Wishing you countless happy and safe travels across the country.

Haha thanks for the tip. Currently grinning from ear to ear 😃

Sounds like some solid advice regarding oil and daily checks etc... I’ve got it booked in for a full service at BUGerdVw in a couple of weeks. Once that’s done, I’ll have some peace of mind (hopefully not an huge hole in my other pocket) and then I can start doing small jobs as and when needed.
New belt also on order!

I don't have any experience with this garage so can't offer any advise but we Bristol people use CJ Motors who is an expert with the old air cooled motors and will always tell you straight what is needed and what is not! But in all fairness its well worth doing the oil change yourself and learning how to adjust valves as these things are needed regularly and both aren't very difficult to do and it gives you great experience of how your motor works

I don't have any experience with this garage so can't offer any advise but we Bristol people use CJ Motors who is an expert with the old air cooled motors and will always tell you straight what is needed and what is not! But in all fairness its well worth doing the oil change yourself and learning how to adjust valves as these things are needed regularly and both aren't very difficult to do and it gives you great experience of how your motor works
Thanks for that. I’ll check out CJ Motors. I’ll be travelling between London and wales a lot so they could be perfect.
I’m absolutely going to learn how to do the basic repairs and maintenance. I just want a professional to look over everything and service the bus first. I’ve already spent a lot of time watching the JK how to videos and am more than confident I can tackle those things.

Latest posts