Oil cooler

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrs hoskins

Reaction score
I'm looking for extra cooling for my 1600 stock, probably by an external cooler. What's the simplest way, I've read some threads that talk about free flow, dog houses etc, but I thought you just bought a cooling oil rad kit and bolted it on ! Advise please, but keep it nice n simple please .
And before anyone says " I drove mine 5000 miles through the Sahara with five kids and a dog last summer and it didn't mis a beat, why do you want extra cooling" I just do, ok . :D

Hey Dude, I've got a thermostat, fan and cooler for sale if you're interested.
Just get some piping and full flow adaptors and you're off.
PM me if you're interested

Sahara, Gobi, Mojave, etc, etc...

Additional oil cooler is NOT the way to go on a 1600 engine. You have other problems that need seeing to (which are cheaper and easier than an additional cooler)!

For example:
Have you got all the correct tinware?
Is your fan in good shape?
Is your mixture and timing set correctly?

Why do you think you need additional cooling in the first place? You know that running too cool can cause damage too, right?

Cos they just do alright. !
Will it solve anything? Probably not just mask the problem till she drops a valve.

If you really just want one bolt one on. Don't bother with the plumbing.. bolt it on the front banzuke style
. Kids love that shit.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I keep a small child in there, and it gets a bit sweaty in the summer, besides if the Germans had put the engine at the right end in the first place etc

Right ,having offended most of you, perhaps I will ask a different question

I have a dipstick temp gauge, in Fahrenheit , which reads an indicated 10f high ( checked it with a boiling saucepan of water , and at 212 boiling, it indicates just above 220f.

Height of summer, it runs at an indicated 235f, on the motorway at 55mph, which is really 225f( 107c)

That's as bad as it gets.......forget about the small child, we have others......is the engine ok ?

Thanks, I use 20/50, sounds like 225f is ok then......just seems a bit hot n smelly , perhaps I'm still a bit paranoid, I've only been doin this air cooled malarkey for three years.......if God had made things to be air cooled he wouldn't have invented water

Cheers

mrs hoskins said:
I keep a small child in there, and it gets a bit sweaty in the summer, besides if the Germans had put the engine at the right end in the first place etc

Right ,having offended most of you, perhaps I will ask a different question

I have a dipstick temp gauge, in Fahrenheit , which reads an indicated 10f high ( checked it with a boiling saucepan of water , and at 212 boiling, it indicates just above 220f.

Height of summer, it runs at an indicated 235f, on the motorway at 55mph, which is really 225f( 107c)

That's as bad as it gets.......forget about the small child, we have others......is the engine ok ?
107c will be fine... Wouldn't say there's a major issue with that. My current engine will run at close to 130c on a cold day, never mind the summer; that's when there's an issue but I've not found it yet!

Latest posts