Oil Drip from Oil filler

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raggles

Reaction score
Hi,

I seem to be blessed with a drip from the end of the lobe on my oil filler Neck - 1600 twinport.

The drip occurs both when driving and also if I top the oil up when stationery. After filling if I place a rag under the lobe the drip eventually stops.

Is this a common problem .... any thoughts on a solution?

The oil collects in a small pool in the bottom of the pulley tin ... its not excessive but a bit messy.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Bit confused by your description but if it's the bit I'm thinking of then you should have a downpipe that goes out through the small hole in the tinware (near the dipstick). In the past I have just used a piece of garden hose for the job.

Pictures might help clarify!

I have the Oil Filler neck without the drain pipe (see illustration). These came with the alternator set up as opposed to the dynamo I think. The drip is off the bottom edge below the breather pipe point. The pipe is connected to an oil bath filter.

I wondered if this was a common problem. Do the fillers fail or is it likely to be a seal issue?

Thanks for any thoughts

Nipped out to take a few pictures of the guilty item .... a general one of the engine bay with pre-heat hose moved out of the way

and a detail with a guilty drip in evidence!

Is this the wrong way round?

Yes, it needs to be fitted so that the breather is at the top.
Otherwise when you fill with oil it will run into the breather section and any breather condensate won't run away into the engine (or out of the lower pipe that goes through the tinware on earlier models).
Thus will stop any drips, along with the washer that fits between the filler/breather and the generator stand.

Thanks for the advice sparkywig - much appreciated.

Is it an easy fix ... or do I need a special tool. Is there a replacement gasket/seal required? Will there be a problem with the alternator or can I simply turn it through 180?

Do you think the drip is because the filler is leaking as well and will this matter when its turned around?

Thanks in advance

There is a special tool that fits on a 3/8" drive, have a look at the various suppliers tools section.
It will fit with the breather spout at about one o'clock.
The drips are probably coming from oil seeping through the breather pipe as it's the lowest point, and any oil/breather condensate can't run down inside the generator stand.

Raggles said:
Thanks for the advice sparkywig - much appreciated.

Is it an easy fix ... or do I need a special tool. Is there a replacement gasket/seal required? Will there be a problem with the alternator or can I simply turn it through 180?

Do you think the drip is because the filler is leaking as well and will this matter when its turned around?

Thanks in advance

I bought the tool in the states for $15.
You can borrow it for a short while, need it back before mid Sep, or buy it off me.

cheers.

Andy

Andy,

I have already ordered the JK socket head with the two locators to fit the threaded nut ... it appears to fit on a 1/2" extension to the ratchet handle of the socket set - but thanks for the offer. I assume if you got yours in the states its the Empi tool similar in principle to a stud extractor? Is there a problem with the JK socket?

regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

I got the same tool as you I assume, a disc with two prongs, rather than the expanding bolt thing.

Be careful using the tool not to round off the slits. Put the pedestal in a vice and put lots of pressure on the back of the ratchet so you don't round off the two little slits on the nut. I used lots of penetrating oil and in the end only got it out with a hand held impact driver with a 1/2" driver nose that you hit with a hammer. Worked a treat, mind you mine has been stuck for probably 44 years...
Got the Draper Impact driver from Motor Mania http://www.motormania.co.uk/057960-...-reverse-rotation-impact-absorbing-22322.html

Good Luck

Andy

I made my own tool out of a piece of scrap steel.
"Tool" might be a bit too glamorous a name for a piece of scrap steel cut to size and then clipped molegrips to each side to be able to rotate it.
Did the job just fine!

yeah I tried that for ages, just wouldn't budge even with hammering the steel into the grooves...
It needed the impact rotation of the impact driver to get loose.

I guess mine must have been removed at some earlier point in its life

PO: "I loosened that for you" :lol:

Latest posts