our shed (72 crossover)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emerald

Reaction score
Quick bit of history - i bought this off a lady a few years back, with the plans of restoring it, but never actually got round to it. It was subsequently sold on to a mate earlier this year, who also planned to restore it, but again nothing happened. He then decided to sell it as he needed the space, and i always demanded first refusal if it came back up for sale, hence it's now found it's way back to us. This time it's gonna get done, and it's gonna get done right!

So anyways, here's some pics of how it looked on return.

Nasty rear corner;
DSCN1704.jpg

Dodgy tailgate;
DSCN1705.jpg

Rear arch - the other one's just as nice!;
DSCN1718.jpg

Lovely clean roof - the result of being under a tree for months;
DSCN1706.jpg

And more;
DSCN1708.jpg

Nasty front arch;
DSCN1707.jpg

And another!;
DSCN1716.jpg

More arch loveliness;
DSCN1717.jpg

Lower front grot;
DSCN1709.jpg

The underneath - what you don't see, about as good as what you do see!;
DSCN1711.jpg

So this weekend we decided to start steady. First up was to make a list of all the panels we want, so we can start scouring VZi/eBay/shows for some bargains. Lucliky all the doors look pretty solid, so shouldn't need replacing. We've already got one of the front arches, the lower front section and a replacement tailgate, so they can be crossed off too. Just replacement corners, 2 rear arches, a front arch, and windscreen bulge to go! We've also got some of the necessary chassis parts collected already, just need to get under there and give it a proper look over to see what else is needed.

We cleared out the interior, and binned the rear boxes, carpets and seating, as the plan is to make up a r'n'r style bed at some point. Luckily, the metal work and what remains inside isn't too bad;
DSCN1721.jpg

We also gave it a quick (or long) rub over with some water to start removing all that green;
DSCN1715.jpg

Loads better - almost like a show winner;
DSCN1712.jpg

DSCN1714.jpg

so...this is our project, who knows how long it will take to get him on the road again, but we sure are gonna try our hardest! :D

hhm, you got a job on girl, that's gonna need a bit of work doing.

I think maybe you should get the screen out first and see how bad the dash support panel is before you spend out on just a screen bulge.

Usually if the bit under the screen is shot so is the panel underneath, which will mean removing the entire front panel to do it.

just take a look on my site for a few examples :wink:

I agree with `bin` get the glass out and the others if you can and check what lurks under em. It will be easier to loads of the stuff without them in anyway.

I would go fo a complete new front panel, just in case. apart from that it happy welding! shouldn`t be to bad, just make sure that you weld to a decent panel and not a botched old rusty one as it will bite you back in the future.

Cut back till you find good metal and its happy days 8) :D

Good luck lady, im looking forward to seeing it at vanfest next year! 8)

easy said:

Unless next year is 2010 you'll be lucky. :lol:

Unfortunatley we've gotta sort Nic's (Emerald's) bug first and my Ghia before we can start on the bus. :(

Once we've got a cover sorted for it I might pop out the front screen and see the full extent of any rust then. Hopefully it won't be too bad, but if the rest of the bus is anything to go by it will be. Thanks for the advise guys.

No worries dude, just start buying that wax oil now, so you can fill her full of it when shes done! 8)

jabbo said:
easy said:

Unless next year is 2010 you'll be lucky. :lol:

Unfortunatley we've gotta sort Nic's (Emerald's) bug first and my Ghia before we can start on the bus. :(

Once we've got a cover sorted for it I might pop out the front screen and see the full extent of any rust then. Hopefully it won't be too bad, but if the rest of the bus is anything to go by it will be. Thanks for the advise guys.
No worries good luck with it :)

the time has finally come, after almost 4 years.....we start the bus resto this weekend!! :D :D

sunday is welding day and we are going to be doing a few other little jobs between now and then, im dead excited

will do pics as we go...

Nice one emerald, glad you are getting things underway. Remember if there is any bits n bobs you need give us a shout on here and we will see what we can sort. 8)

Good luck.

Remember you can never take too many photos!

We love them on here.

Good luck as there looks to be a lot of work ahead :shock:

Looking forward to the pics and your words! 8)

Ten years ago, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the North Kent underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a camper, if no one else can help, and if you need some welding, maybe you can hire... The BAY-Team.

*cue A-Team style music* Ba Ba Ba, Ba-Ba Ba

That's right, with the help of some very good friends, we finally got round to starting some proper work on the bus this weekend! :applause:

The day started bright and early, and unfortunately not on the best foot! Where the Bay had been parked in the garden for so long, and where the weather had been so bad, the bus had sunk into the ground, and the back brakes had binded! Add to that a near dead battery, and it was clear trouble was ahead. Thankfully, with the help of our mate Mikey, we managed to tow the van out, and unbind the brakes, though not before ploughing up half the garden and the adjacent communal green area :lol: . A quick jump start from the Golf and it was off to the workshop!

Luckily the sun was shining, so it was picture time a plenty!

Another one of our workers, Jamie posing at the workshop;
DSCN2069.jpg

Sizing up the bus, the pictures don't really show just how much needs to be done.

DSCN2070.jpg

DSCN2071.jpg

DSCN2072.jpg

DSCN2073.jpg

DSCN2074.jpg

There's so much work to do it was difficult to decide where to start. In the end Kev and Ade (Till on here) decided to start on the driver's side rear arch, whilst Mikey and Russ went to work on the passenger side front arch. I decided to tackle removing the rear bumper, which, based on all the other bolts I'd already removed from the bus, I knew wouldn't be as easy as it sounded.

We decided with the rear arch not to use the full repair panel, as obviously we wanted to replace as little metal as possible. It also meant what we didn't use we'd have as spare metal for other repairs! :D

Rear rust removed;
DSCN2079.jpg

With the front arch there was no choice but to remove the whole thing, as it was a bit shagged to say the least. So off came the door and out came the grinders.

Front arch, with door off;
DSCN2080.jpg

Unfortunately, once the front arch was out it revealed a whole load of bad repairs and botched jobs, so a load more metal was grinded out.

More rust gone;
DSCN2094.jpg

As can be seen in the last pic we also thought we'd use the removal of this area as a good opportunity to put in the new outriggers.

Fresh metal;
DSCN2090.jpg

Meanwhile on the other side, Kev and Ade were hard at work. Before putting the new arch metal back in, a new sill was fitted, to replace the non existant one! The rear jacking point was also repaired.

More spangly new metal;
DSCN2085.jpg

Repaired rear jacking point;
DSCN2086.jpg

Finally it was on with the new arch! :D
DSCN2091.jpg

Latest posts