our shed (72 crossover)

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a bad job i suppose :wink:

Great work lads. The speed at which you're working puts most resto's, including mine, to shame :D
Keep it up 8)

ahhh bugger, we only have 6 weeks to get the bus on the road!!! :?

the inside has been built, and is ready to go in, its just the final bits of welding thats stopping us

eek!! :shock:

Well that 6 weeks came and went. :(

Various other factors got in the way and the bus hardly got touched to be honest. However with a revised scheduled debut at Peppercorn, I've really got to pull my finger out. So let the updates begin. :D

In my spare time over the last couple of weeks I set about making the cushions for the rear bed area;
DSCF0161.jpg

I've also been collecting parts;
DSCF0221.jpg

DSCF0220.jpg

DSCN2409.jpg

One replacement dash, one slammed and narrowed beam, and a replacement tailgate.

New front seats were also aquired;
DSCN2461.jpg

Old cloth ones compared to new leather ones with heating and full electrics.

Aswell as a pair of rust free doors, which saved me a good couple of days work (and were an absolute bargain!)
DSCF0165.jpg

DSCF0169.jpg

Also in the last month or so it's seen Ade continue on with the cab.

First up was the removal of the driver's side arch, only to reveal a whole load more rust. So in went some fresh metal;
DSCN2496.jpg

Before the new arch went on;
DSCF0166.jpg

He also decided to start cutting about the floor;
DSCF0244.jpg

DSCF0243.jpg

It's worth noting all this was done in the pissing hard rain, with a makeshift canopy to cover him;
DSCN2497.jpg

What a top man.

Nic's been busy with her paintbrushes again aswell, painting the completed half of the front cab area;
DSCN2440.jpg

DSCN2460.jpg

Which I think pretty much gets us up to date, as of this morning. :)

Well today was my first of 8 planned days of work in a hope of achieving the seemingly impossible.

We decided to move the bus to my house as most of my tools were there, plus unlike Nic, I've got a proper driveway. Here's how the van stood at the start of the day;
DSCF0271.jpg

DSCF0273.jpg

The big patch on the side was were me and Nic were choosing the colour we wanted. Brown FTW!

You are getting there Jabbo and Emerald looking good . Come on dudes best of luck :wink: How long till Peppercorn ???????? :roll:

jabbo said:
The big patch on the side was were me and Nic were choosing the colour we wanted. Brown FTW!

Scott and I have different tastes when it comes to styles of car, i knew how i wanted the bus from day one. one night he sat here and did a bus selecta and basically come up with how id planned him

brown is indeed FTW :D

Grazy said:
You are getting there Jabbo and Emerald looking good . Come on dudes best of luck :wink: How long till Peppercorn ???????? :roll:

2 weeks this Friday! :shock:

oh shit , get off the pooter you two and get some lights set up on the drive and work work work ! :lol: Or just have a Beer and do it tommorow :lol:

So, after a quick cup of tea me and my good friend Kev (and his trusted welder) decided where to start. We opted for the bodywork that remained to be welded, as it means the rest of the week I can start prepping the body whilst he's working the chassis!

First up were the lower rear corners, so off came the rear lights. If only it was that simple! 2 broken taillight holders later and they were out. Good thing they're cheap to replace. Once they were out we took a look at the extent of the work needed;
DSCF0274.jpg

Welded together mesh has got to be the work of a genius. Surely it would have been so much easier to just use a replacement panel?!

So out it all came, along with the crappy battery tray;
DSCF0275.jpg

To be replaced by new metal and a quick skim of filler (still to be sanded back);
DSCF0285.jpg

It was then on to the other side, which was slightly better, albeit not by much. Out it all came again, and in went the new;
DSCF0286.jpg

Whilst we were out back we also fitted the new tailgate;
DSCF0284.jpg

Jut the top of the lhs corner to sort now.

I've also got a spare engine lid I'm contemplating fitting, save trying to salvage the current one, but it's a late bay one. Would it be that bad if I stuck it on (most people wouldn't have a clue plus it'd save me a load of work).

Grazy said:
oh shit , get off the pooter you two and get some lights set up on the drive and work work work ! :lol: Or just have a Beer and do it tommorow :lol:
im not there! i dont think the boys want me around, i must get in the way :lol: instead ill stay here and bake them cakes and wait until im told i can go near him again

im kind of half and half with this thread now, i want to see what they are doing but id like to see him when he comes home hopefully looking a bit different 8)

Probably for the best Emerald leave em` to it and tell him when he has painted it it`s the wrong colour :lol: :lol: It seems to be making good progress tho of late . Best of luck , following this closely now :wink:

Here's how the old tailgate was looking, salvageable, but why bother when you've got a rust free replacement?!;
DSCF0276.jpg

Next up Kev tackled the dodgy b-pillar behind the drivers door. Again out with the old and in with the new;
DSCF0283.jpg

Unfortunately it would seem this part is originally welded from inside the bus, so as to keep a perfect looking seam. This obviously wasn't possible for us so the plan is to grind down the welds as best as possible then recreate the groove as best we can.

Whilst this was going on I set about removing the old rusty dash. A good couple of hours (and lots of swearing later) it finally came out;
DSCF0278.jpg

I'll start sorting the wiring tomorrow and painting the inside cab area, whilst Nic decides if she wants the dash left black of sprayed to match the inside.

As the day drew to a close Kev headed off home and I set about getting the bus ready for tomorrows exploits. The plan is to replace the remaining cross members jacking points and outriggers tomorrow, so I started by looking at the cross members;
DSCF0279.jpg

DSCF0280.jpg

Take you're pick, neither of them are pretty. :lol: So far I've grinded out all the rot (note to self angle grinding a chassis in a tee shirt isn't the brightest idea. Sparks + Hot falling metal = Many burns), ready for welding in the morning. Just one outrigger remains to be removed (the others are already out).

And that brings to an end day one! Back for more 'fun' tomorrow.

Grazy said:
Probably for the best Emerald leave em` to it and tell him when he has painted it it`s the wrong colour :lol: :lol: It seems to be making good progress tho of late . Best of luck , following this closely now :wink:

She chose the colour and she'd never admit to being wrong so I can't lose! :lol:

well you will be nearly done by tomorrow dude, its coming along great so weds its taking it all back to the metal then spraying lime green, orange, yellow, silver with a hint of lilac...hehe changing rooms style :D

May the bay be with you dude

Latest posts