Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers lads for your comments :D

Will have a long and hard think over the next few days :sick0019:

mate, there have been so many times i've wanted to sell mine even advertised it twice, all the breakdowns, money pumped into it, time after time being let down, paying over the odds for repairs. then lets take bustypes £1000+ spent 4 hours to get there late night to prep it for an mot, kids wanting to stop every 30 mins. they best weekend ever, red hot weather, bus ran a treat (after breaking down for a year) bbq's in the sun, kids having the time of there life, meeting new people, drinking, looking over really nice busses. I would now sell the house before the bus, the wife loves it, the lids love it and i love it ! its all worth it on the end mate

hope everything works out
peace
Ash

Dont sell!!! Ok so gutting that you cant use it for your hols this year, but, think of all the time you will have to tinker and clean, the kinda things that dont cost owt but give satisfaction, then come on here n tell us all............. :D you know it makes sense!!!!

pissed off with mine today as i stripped down the spring plates to fit the red9 ones then bottled it and put back together, real pissed off!! But hey got to know a new part of my bus :lol:

Sleep on it, make the right descision

Just

If you sell you wil regret it till you get anoher one, its in you now :)

I bought mine last year and expected everything to be ready for this summer. Had some spare time so ripped it apart, then i had to go back to work (TUPE thing) and now its wekends only if there isnt anything family going on. All plans this year are cancelled, but hey i'm going nowhere and next year will be better

Dont do it

i agree with everyone else, you cant sell it. i was in a similar situation, my van has been off the road for 2 years, in bits, iv been doing the work when i have time and money. but last year i moved house, my parents split up, (the van lives in my stepdads garage) and i had to spend far too much on my daily, so i ended up coming very close. but now iv found some money to get it back on the road, wont be perfect, but it will be my van, that i put all the hard work into at the start. if its not costing to keep it stood, then just let it wait, its had 40 odd years to wait so far, whats a bit longer?

hang in there.

Don't sell. Similar thing happened to me. I had planned a surf holiday in croyde with the lads 1.5 years ago was all packed ready to go and when i went to leave it wouldn't start no matter what i tried and with mates waiting taking the piss in there T4's i was gutted so had to unpack van and dig my tent out. All week all i heard is how they both got rid of there splits and got T4's. So on my return i put bay up for sale and bought a T4..... had nowt but trouble with T4 while bay is now running like a dream (loose wire arcing on back of dash killing batteries) and Noah crys his eyes out if we don't drive the bay as he loves it and he's only 2. So in other words all cars cost a fortune to own but you will never get the same satisfaction driving anything else !!!!

Everyone - thanks for your comments :D

OK - had a good think over the weekend and also a chat with 'her indoors' about the van, cost, time etc etc....

The decision I have made is to KEEP the van.

Once my holiday is over in September I will look to see how the finances are and hopefully crack on with the resto :mrgreen:

5 years is a long time, but I am hoping that it will not be another 5 years :oops:

Cheers

Andy

gninnam said:

OK - had a good think over the weekend and also a chat with 'her indoors' about the van, cost, time etc etc....

Once my holiday is over in September I will look to see how the finances are and hopefully crack on with the resto :mrgreen:

5 years is a long time, but I am hoping that it will not be another 5 years :oops:

Cheers

Andy

You know it makes sense 8)

Just

gninnam said:

Cheers

Andy
You know you've made the right (only) decision
It will all come good in the end and you will wander why you even thought of selling, there nothing like loading it up and taking off ofr the weekend not knowing if you are actually going to make it :lol: but thats the bay way of life

ImHere.jpg

Now that looks an interesting place to be :)
Come on keep up the good work, tackle some smaller bits that dont cost anything and not welding etc, as the welding and grinding can get you down :roll: , drag it out,give it a wash etc somethng to boost your spirits. :mrgreen:

gninnam said:

Cheers

Andy

:D

OK - Got some new pictures as some work has been carried out - will let the pictures do most of the talking:

Offside repair panel (in front of the arch)
IMG_0316.jpg

Underneath, looking at the rear jacking point and inner sill
IMG_0317.jpg

Outside sill plug welded in at the bottom and welded at the top on the offside
IMG_0318.jpg

Offside B-post and outer sill
IMG_0319.jpg

Offside floor now plug welded and spot welded in
IMG_0320.jpg

Another view of the offside floor
IMG_0321.jpg

Lower outer panel (new inside panel already done so no pic!)
IMG_0322.jpg

Lower out panel , near side (needs the door taking off so it can be folded over and welded etc)
IMG_0323.jpg

View of the nearside floor
IMG_0324.jpg

View of the offside outer sill from the inside
IMG_0325.jpg

Another view of the outer sill
IMG_0326.jpg

Near side inner sill
IMG_0327.jpg

Another view of the near side inner sill
IMG_0328.jpg

Nearside dogleg (under the front passenger floor)
IMG_0329.jpg

Nearside inner arch - the front beam
IMG_0330.jpg

Off side dogleg (can see a bit of the new inner front panel)
IMG_0331.jpg

View of the beam
IMG_0332.jpg

Close-up of the front
IMG_0333.jpg

Another view of the new floor
IMG_0334.jpg

So - to do - little bits to be made to fill gaps.
Rear splash panel in the off side.
Replace panel before the rear arch and splash panel on the near side.
Finish off the front panel.
Seam the joints and install the cargo floor.
Sure there are a few bits I have missed.

Then new brake pipes, ball joints and shocks - fit new headlights then off for MOT :shock:

The way this project has been going, probably another 6 months :(

Glad to see your keeping the Bus. I have all the same and more to do to mine and it can get on top of you, but you are well and truly on top of this one now from the look of it. Keep the good work up and soon you'll be cruisin :D

Looks like great progress. Glad you have been able to keep the van and carry on :)

Thats a good bit of prgress there Andy, you've been keeping that one quiet!!

If you have the MOT in sight surely that should give you a bit more motivation, and the lighter nights will spur you on! Looking forward to seeing you have this back on the road mate!

Andy

joaonar said:
looking good sir, looking good! ;)

I wish I had your welding skills....
:oops:

I wish my welding skills were that good :shock:
Like you, for the bulk of it I am using a 3rd party (was recommended by a friend off here) - but boy is his work slow :(
When I have a spare feew hours (not often) I do go up and do a spot or two - once we are happy with the underneath, I will be welding the floor in so that will be interesting. ;)

Benyon said:
Thats a good bit of prgress there Andy, you've been keeping that one quiet!!

If you have the MOT in sight surely that should give you a bit more motivation, and the lighter nights will spur you on! Looking forward to seeing you have this back on the road mate!

Andy

Cheers Andy - not really kept it quiet, you have just not been keeping an eye on my thread :lol:
Hope you get a van soon (got to be a cross-dresser too :mrgreen: )

Cheers
Andy

Latest posts