Replacing fuel pump.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bananacustard

Reaction score
So, I noticed my oil level went up and I'm sure it smells of petrol and I suspect the diagphram in the fuel pump has gone. It's a cheap repro pump and I've heard they don't deal with the E10 ethanol in petrol very well. I've bought one of the new (old style, serviceable) pumps from VW heritage, which are resistant to E10 apparently. When replacing it, I can't get to the back nut properly. Do I need to remove the distributor to do this or is there an easier way?

Also does anyone know if it's possible to get petrol without ethanol at any petrol stations as it seems to cause problems with tanks, fuel lines, petrol caps, pumps and carburettors?

cheers, Jeremy

I'm certain I did this without removing the dizzy - using a 1/4" drive socket from memory, you can get them with a 'wobble' drive which improves dexterity a bit...
(And after the exact same situation... http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

I'm certain I did this without removing the dizzy - using a 1/4" drive socket from memory, you can get them with a 'wobble' drive which improves dexterity a bit...
(And after the exact same situation... http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71056" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Regarding Ethanol, from the Tesco website:

"Petrol sold in the UK must conform to BS EN 288 British Standards. This allows up to 5% ethanol in petrol. Tesco fully complies with these standards with the ethanol content of our fuels varying from 0 - 4.8% depending on the location and supplier."

I understand that most brand's % can very depending on which particular refinery the filling station is supplied from

I did hear a rumour that the "super" fuels don't have ethanol in them? How true this is I don't know

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

bac2ba6 said:
I did hear a rumour that the "super" fuels don't have ethanol in them? How true this is I don't know

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Other way round I think you'll find - they use a greater percentage of alcohols and similar chemicals to bring the octane rating up.

to get the back nut you can also use a curved spanner.

10-27022007-105918L.gif

Latest posts