rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice haul you have got yourself 8)
Probably get it all fitted tomorrow then ;)

Had a quick run out this morning, took a load of rubbish to the not-quite local recycling centre and came home the long way. :)
Had a quick fettle with the carbs, linkage and throttle cable and then decided to have a final attempt at trying to get the sliding door to shut on the second latch when the handle is pulled up.

After much mucking about with adjustments here and there and not succeeding, I removed the front latch keeper from the B pillar and "locked" it to the latch. After shutting the door there's a gap of 5mm between the keeper and the pillar. Hmmmmm...
Took the sliding door rubber off completely and the door shuts perfectly, refit the rubber and the 5mm gap's back.

Rang Status and was reassured that the rubber was the correct one.
Maybe correct, but it doesn't fucking fit. :evil:
I've already trimmed the rear part of the rubber to let the rear latch catch on the keeper and now I've had to make an aluminium spacer to fit behind the front keeper to get the door to shut properly......

koNKc.jpg

....and relax.
Anyone fitted a decent sliding door rubber that lets the door shut?

Anyway, thought the old girl could do with a clean.

tShCl.jpg

That's better. :D

Looking good :D

Don't suppose you got that seat from the Birmingham area did you? If it's the one I think it is, I took it up there 6 months ago :lol:

I had to do the same when I put a new rubber on the sliding door too - about a 5mm spacer :(

Looking good with a wash and brush up :)

Loosen the 4 bolts on middle hinge, pull it back, prise it back, anything it back and tighten the bolts again - that will push the door as far forward as you can get it. It's this hinge position that sets the door closed position.

Sorry if I'm teaching granny...

I know Steve, the hinge is as far back as it will go, so without elongating the holes it stays where it is (need a new slider anyway....).
The problem is the new seal though, with the old seal I still had a couple of mm adjustment and the door had even shut lines when closed. With the new seal it doesn't shut far enough forward and sits proud of the bodywork because I've had to reposition both the front and back keepers to get it to latch.

You would've thought after all these years I'd be used to ill-fitting parts but it still pisses me off, and it wasn't a cheap seal.

sparkywig said:
I know Steve, the hinge is as far back as it will go, so without elongating the holes it stays where it is (need a new slider anyway....).
The problem is the new seal though, with the old seal I still had a couple of mm adjustment and the door had even shut lines when closed. With the new seal it doesn't shut far enough forward and sits proud of the bodywork because I've had to reposition both the front and back keepers to get it to latch.

You would've thought after all these years I'd be used to ill-fitting parts but it still pisses me off, and it wasn't a cheap seal.
Something in the catch has worn - it simply cannot physically (in engineering terms) techincally be the seal. It can't! A new springy seal may though the problem into the spotlight, but it's not the seal's fault. :)

sparkywig said:
005-8.jpg

:)

All I need now is ozziedog's full width Westfalia bed and I can get on and fit the interior out. ;)

Whats the plans then Wig? Whens Oz dropping the RnR round? ;) Not seen a bronze Zig before, looks kinda cool

Just

But if I refit the old rubber (which is a completely different profile by the way) and remove the spacer and reset the catches, the door shuts perfectly fine Steve. :?:

I dunno Just, you know what he's like.
I've been on at him for a couple of weeks now after he mentioned that he was dumping the Westie interior. ;)

I thought the bronze plate was a bit different, needs a bit of internal re-soldering and some matching fuse holders, but it was as cheap as chips. :D
Might have a redesign on the unit behind the driver's seat and fit the hook-up and Zig unit into that, along with the propex gas bottle. All depends how long before ozzie gets his r'n'r bed.......

If it's a different profile....
Got to be wear. Your new rubber is forcing things all to the limit of the wear whereas the old squashed one didn't?

I've had a look round at shows at buses with the original sliding door rubbers fitted, and they have a different profile to the new ones I've bought from a couple of the bigger suppliers.
Have you got a pic of yours handy?

which way round did you put your seal in? i noticed when i did mine that the front and back are different but the top and bottom i think are the same. but there is nothing to say which way it goes, not sure if it would have an effect but worth a look.

Latest posts