rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inner valance fitted at last, fairly easy when you don't have to remove the old one.

4Xdi3.jpg

Outer valance on as well, what a pita that was. The profile of the repro panel is nowhere near, had to cut the top section off as it was shaped like a late bay panel, and then use self-tappers to pull the bottom of the front panel out to meet the replacement valance. Still, it's on now and with a coat of primer for the journey home.

Qn56N.jpg

Home, and a swipe of filler that I couldn't leave alone and dragged. :roll:

nqZaE.jpg

Rain stopped play until tomorrow. :)

Got to admire the way you use your bus in the summer and crack right on with the repairs in the winter Sparky. :)

Had a frustrating day today, discovered that body filler has a use by date so had to scrape the soft filler off that I applied yesterday and then found that body filler also doesn't like being applied in cold weather and hardens almost instantaneously upon contact with cold metal. Lots of sanding required....

voRLY.jpg

Also took the headlights out as I want to give the front a repaint and polish, only to find the off-side full of water. Aaaaaaaargh!

I bet you're as fed up as me of pics of this bloody cooker unit as well. :lol:

W4QkP.jpg

Last sand to get rid of the rain damaged varnish, I'm not going to spend any more time on it now, other than fit it.

Ended up having to scrape all the filler off again today as it hadn't hardened.
So now have applied the 3rd skim of filler this week and this cured in 20 minutes :party0053: I hope I'm not going to get OCD (ala front bumper) with this again....

mi0QK.jpg

Note the damage to the off-side corner of the valance, usually the bumper absorbs steep drive impact.

zqZk2.jpg

4m2YJ.jpg

Quick question, how do I stop getting pinholes in the filler?

Bejeezus how much sandpaper have you got through on that little bit!
Pinholes? Use a better filler, or ignore them until the shape is right then fill them, but blow them out with compressed air first.

I was using 120 grit dry to shape it so the paper kept clogging.

Further to a previous comment I made, an understanding wife is also a bonus....

N8kjS.jpg

...as her car was covered in a layer of dust as well.

S6gWj.jpg

dNqfn.jpg

rC1Sm.jpg

gvb36.jpg

Td4c1.jpg

51R69.jpg

Not one of my better jobs I must admit, probably due to the cold, damp, rushing it ready for next weekend and feeling slightly under the weather. I'll have to rub back and fill a couple of places where it looks shite.

I take it you mean ready for the xmas cruz you had me worried :roll: for a while thought you would never going to make it
well it's all lookin good buddy 8) hope to see you Sunday. ;)

terrier man said:
I take it you mean ready for the xmas cruz you had me worried :roll: for a while thought you would never going to make it
well it's all lookin good buddy 8) hope to see you Sunday. ;)

And me, so I thought I'd better spend a bit of time tonight putting it all back together, after I found a replacement off-side headlight lamp holder to replace the "new" one that had disintegrated, and trying to make the near-side headlamp fixing hole smaller than the retaining screw.....

2CEOb.jpg

uR5UP.jpg

All back together apart from the bumper and interior bits. :)

OK, on with the refit.

Loads of 25mm celotex shoved in the front panel, then some taken out so I could fit the kick panels and speakers. :lol:
Washer bottle filled and, f*ck f*ck f*ck...

1FH5D.jpg

....back out with the kick panels and insulation, mopped the water up and replaced the washer hose. Quick test for leaks and then refit the washer bottle, insulation and kick panels again.
On a roll now, bit of Prodigy and Kasabian pumping, so out with the old cooker unit and in with the new.

E0PJ3.jpg

JDm21.jpg

:D

Well, the bumpers back on. :D

Started another little job. Off came the EMPI hex bar linkage and on went the new CSP bellcrank linkage.
Sounds easy when you say it like that though.....

1Mkrt.jpg

...but what a difference £72 makes. :D

After last Sunday's journey home in the dark and rain with a choice of any 1 in 3 of wipers, indicators or lights due to a charging fault. It was electrical fault finding day.
Charging fault sorted after repairing damaged generator light cable and faffing about with those stupid dash lampholders...
Side light fault sorted as well, so on another roll decided to replace sliding door roller and guide block. All done and then dropped sliding door while trying to refit.....

oh f*ck :lol:

Latest posts