rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago, JK had a massive batch made arse about face, but they should all have been sold by now. Despite me (and others) complaining numerous times, they simply denied they were wrong until they'd sold them all, at which point the suddenly agreed they'd all been wrong but their new ones are right. Doesn't engender a great deal of trust in suppliers does it?

Big flap at the rear pointing forwards, little flap at the front, also pointing forwards. Pushing the door forwards to shut it neatly lays the flaps down flat - the front flap squashes into a groove in the seal, the rear just squashes down. I've no doubt you're fitting it right sparky but I'll try get some pics if I remember.
:)

ZedBed said:
Big flap at the rear pointing forwards, little flap at the front, also pointing forwards. Pushing the door forwards to shut it neatly lays the flaps down flat - the front flap squashes into a groove in the seal, the rear just squashes down. I've no doubt you're fitting it right sparky but I'll try get some pics if I remember.

that was my logic, if the door closes forwards the flap will close and stop water, the other way it will bend it all over the shop and probably leak. we had it in upside down before i managed to stop my dad and explain this logic to him too. lol

ZedBed said:

s5RA8.jpg

Yep, that's how it's fitted, but it seems chunkier than the original and the small flap isn't as large or flexible. I've had to shave the top corner to allow the door to shut and trim the rear flap.....
Not buying another rubber from Status, that's for sure.

Agreed - that doesn't look quite right. The flap hasn't got the right profile. Last one I bought from.....can't remember and I haven't fitted it, but it looks and feels soft. C&C I think. Grey and chalky like all good seals. Yours looks dark and hard rubber - too black.

:lol:
It is grey, chalky and soft, that was the camera flash at 10.15pm last night making it look darker.
It's definitely too chunky though and is advertised as genuine VW.....

http://www.status-vw.co.uk/shop/contents/en-uk/d337.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like it fits well though - there is nearly enough room left for the door as it should be. Sure your door's straight? I notice over a few restos that the top front corner has often got bent in a bit for some reason.

[edit : I mean just the tip - last inch or so too curly. :) ]

There wasn't going to be a lot to report, just a fettling day planned.
Up early to scrape the bus to go to Nick's yard, broke the scraper, couldn't open any of the doors as they're frozen shut, so poured some hot water over the seals and lock only to find I've now got ice an inch thick on the doors.
Managed to get in through the n/s door, start up and drive off with the wheel clamp still in place.
30 minutes later after jacking the bus up and removing offending (now bent) wheel clamp with a combination of very large hammer and hacksaw and waking the neighbours, I've now got to scrape the windows again.....

:|

But I managed to get a couple of jobs done.
Needed to use the ramp at the workshop, as one of the nuts securing the Z hinges had come loose and it had to be the one right over the chassis leg where the rear axle is.
Throttle cable lubed and linkage tweaked, and breather box cleaned.
Then after I'd got home this afternoon I decided to refit the original filler/breather, but could I get it off the old generator stand, could I f*ck. Attempted to get the breather off, but after much application of heat and patience the grinder came out and cut the nut off along with the filler neck.
It's ironic that the breather on a twinport engine under the bench came off really easily though, so I can use the nut on the sp.
Just need to clean the swarf out of the breather before it gets fitted now.....

Latest posts