rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thin wipe of filler over the welds and the previous accident damage. It's a bit too cold for applying filler outside, as soon as the filler hits the metal it stiffens. Bit of a mare really.
Plenty of dust for the missus and neighbours to moan about though. :roll:

BFOoH.jpg

HwWjL.jpg

Quite a few pinholes and high spots to fill and sand.

Qo1zh.jpg

But a coat of primer eventually made it's way onto the bus tonight. Just a little more stopping and a coat of hi-build primer tomorrow hopefully.

H6Xgk.jpg

Being an electrician maybe you would've thought that maybe I'd fit a light to see what I'm doing......

So...
You have cut off and replaced the back end of your van!! and I still havent put my heater in... pretty crap ent I?!

Great work dude. crazy how fast you have done this. 8)

Paul.

It had to be done to get the towbar refitted, Paul.
Had a few hours (since 1100....) on the rear corner and arch today, want to get it finished.

Masked up and ready for priming.

xUOhi.jpg

UE2Zy.jpg

1st coat of hi-build

RT7lM.jpg

Rk4ze.jpg

A few pinholes and high spots still

yq7SK.jpg

1st coat of L345

GwP6u.jpg

2nd coat

GCm7D.jpg

3rd coat

ujwKE.jpg

Vd2Nh.jpg

Left a few dents and dings to retain a bit of character.
Just put it all back together, paint's not quite hardened right off due to the temperature, but I'm tired now.
And the trouble with being tired is that you forget to fit the sliding door hinge catch so that it flies off and falls to the ground when you shut it......

6lZQB.jpg

Oh well, it was on the list to do anyway.

:roll:

Great work there Sparky..!! 8) 8)

I'm sure you live in a different time dimension to the rest of us, with all that you get done so quickly..!!?? :lol: :lol:

Shame about the sliding door..!! :roll:

I seem to spend all my time moaning about how cold it is outside and you just get on with it!
Your bus is coming along good - top work, I love the way you've left the odd ding here and there, retains the proper character of the bus but with the knowledge that its all solid underneath 8)

Sorry Des. :lol:

ZyIxn.jpg

Not really the right weather for spraying outside, as you saw with the paint reacting with moisture on the off-side, but you can get as good a finish as a "professional" paint job it's all down to prep as it's the same paint in the cans. Just works out more expensive, but more convenient.

:msn4:

mkd7c.jpg

sparkywig said:
Sorry Des. :lol:

004-3_zps8fb807c6.jpg

Skills indeed, making me look like a right twat :mrgreen: my respray efforts are pathetic compared to yours.

By the way are those filters the universal ones from VWHeritage that come as a base/filter/top package?

Des

5erge said:
By the way are those filters the universal ones from VWHeritage that come as a base/filter/top package?

Des

I don't know mate, they were with the carbs which came off an Alfa (which is why the linkage fits to a modified plate), I need to sort the vents and jetting out.

Latest posts