rusty old nail to sow's ear

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea that's the bit! I'm diggin your vinyl 8) the lock is a strange one to work, come round n have a look one day, you need to slide a bolt across which stops the locknut turning then it locks on the key, otherwise the whole thing turns but don't lock :? French for you :lol: :msn4:

OK then, now I've got solid chassis legs it's on with the rear bumper and towbar.
Perhaps not then, I've got a split rear bumper and "new" early bay bumper irons so the bumper sits at a steep angle, rests on the VS exhaust and is too far away from the corners for my liking. You could lose a small child in the gap between bumper and rear corner.
So out with the grinder, and that's better.

GtIcQ.jpg

ANgEW.jpg

Not finished yet as I need to fabricate a couple of brackets for the towbar, bumper temporarily fitted to get the towbar position.
Spent all morning down the yard making a towbar from some scaffold tube and scrap metal, but abandoned that idea and will use the one I had in the garage. :|

1qZfG.jpg

hMvBx.jpg

9aTdX.jpg

These re-usable cable ties come in quite handy, just need some 10mm plate now....

As I've f*ck all work on, and the weather was nice today it meant more time on the Rapido.
I picked up some vinyl flooring remnants and had a go at fitting it.

4nRaO.jpg

oZFj9.jpg

6HFAi.jpg

SeHij.jpg

I'm sure a certain floor layer with a panel van could do much better, but I'm happy with it. :D

sparkywig said:
As I've f*ck all work on, and the weather was nice today it meant more time on the Rapido.
I picked up some vinyl flooring remnants and had a go at fitting it.

005-1_zps11f1566c.jpg

008_zps01e577fe.jpg

010_zpscff49c64.jpg

011_zpsffaf2593.jpg

I'm sure a certain floor layer with a panel van could do much better, but I'm happy with it. :D
I DOUBT IT :lol:

Looks great, and i know how ya feel workwise, spent all day stripping down a trailer in readiness to sell as i need the dough

Canopy attached to the Rapido.

3jIQR.jpg

xfOl9.jpg

The idea is to drive the bus under the canopy with the sliding door facing in, and then peg the canopy over the roof of the bus.
I would prefer to get the bus at right angles with the rear corner up close to the storage box, but that'll have to wait until we're in a field before I can try that.

Loving that flooring...might have to copy that one :msn4:
As for the canopy...what a great set up!!

Looks like a great setup. I've been Lookin for a canopy like yours so I can do the same but with the chateau mobile :D

Rhetorical question for you, have ever tried to get two 100mm x 100mm pieces of 10mm plate steel?
One place wanted a minimum order of £150, another stockholder had a minimum sale amount of a 2.0m x 1.5m sheet, and another had a minimum weight, 78.5kg, which happens to be a square metre.....
I even went to Tata (I worked there back in the early '90s when it was still British Steel), to get a couple of offcuts, but they've shut down the Yate site. :roll:

So I blagged a bit of scrap from down the yard, made some plates up and then they were welded to the modified bumper irons.
The bumper was mocked up again, marked, drilled and tapped, and then a quick clean up with the grinder and a bit of rust treatment, which froze as I applied it so I abandoned any further plans for the day.
Had enough really as it took nearly two hours to drill a broken 10mm taper tap out.

uFg8M.jpg

3V5fI.jpg

That was yesterday. Today was warmer, but only slightly though, so I managed to get a coat of etch primer on.

AndXM.jpg

Need to get some satin black and then it's reassembly time.

Nice work on the towbar :D

I know what you mean on the steel :lol: you need a couple of bits to do a job and end up buying full lengths :lol:

Depending on how quick you need it I find eBay bang on for bits and bobs of plate and cheaper than buying full pieces :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Steel-Plate-200mm-x-200mm-x-10mm-Fixing-Mounting-/300832676308?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item460b0659d4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That looks like the tow bar that can Sparky 8)

I've never even considered how metal is sold or its cost until recently. But now I've taken up welding its been bit of an eye opener. Luckily I can get offcuts and small quantities from the yacht engineering shop that does my work on the boat, but they mainly work in stainless and aluminium so they dont always have what I want. Minimum length of box section is 6 metres and flat plate is 2m x 1m from the local suppliers :shock:

Hi sparkywig, ive just spent a large part of my evening going through this thread of yours....i am amazed at how much work you have done to your Bus. I think with all the new metal youve put into your Bus there cant be much original metal left. It may also account for the high cost of metal at the moment :lol: :lol:
Seriously though
Respect mate much Respect
Mark

sparkywig said:
Canopy attached to the Rapido.

001-1_zpsaf2ea1d0.jpg

002-1_zps8c042782.jpg

The idea is to drive the bus under the canopy with the sliding door facing in, and then peg the canopy over the roof of the bus.
I would prefer to get the bus at right angles with the rear corner up close to the storage box, but that'll have to wait until we're in a field before I can try that.

That should work well Wig

This was the 'original setup' for the SA awning with my SA westy. The sliding door matched up level with the opening on the canopy

4506430850_ffbc99c129.jpg

Towbar fitted,

VzbQF.jpg

R2aoe.jpg

iXxUb.jpg

and rear bumper back on. Another job added to the list is some brackets to support the bumper ends.
I'm glad that's done, all ready for Rapido touring now. :)

Xt1yd.jpg

Mnwqx.jpg

AFdl4.jpg

Loads of clearance to the exhaust as well.

bToSW.jpg

sparkywig said:
Towbar fitted,

001-102_zps10e1d255.jpg

003-108_zps8ca91777.jpg

004-86_zps0df4a12a.jpg

and rear bumper back on. Another job added to the list is some brackets to support the bumper ends.
I'm glad that's done, all ready for Rapido touring now. :)

005-71_zps2da30088.jpg

007-43_zpsf242b354.jpg

008-39_zpsc2f78ca8.jpg

Loads of clearance to the exhaust as well.

009-32_zps4075fc89.jpg

Awesome work, 8)
I would like a set up like this at some point and a little trailer, its amazing how much stuff we take just for a weekend and I want to go for a week or two this summer all being well.
Unfortunately I dont have your skills...and you live too far away!! :cry:

Latest posts