Some light advice, please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clean

Reaction score
Hi all,

Our May (1971 Westy Crossover) will be going in for her annual service and MOT later this month, and I always have a few improvement jobs done to her whilst she is with Richard at VW Restorations of Halifax (brilliant business, brilliant service, brilliant bloke).

I am thinking of having a Tacho fitted, as it galls me not knowing the revs when I am driving; any thoughts, experiences or recommendations would be most welcome.

I am also thinking of getting some spots fitted to the front bumper as driving her at night is so damn dark it feels almost dangerous. Again, any input would be greatly welcomed.

Finally, do any of you run modern halogen bulbs in your headlights (see above), and if so which ones, please?

Any help will be greatly appreciated; thanks all,

Clean and May the Bus.

Hi Clean,

I recently had a tacho fitted and all it does is make you aware of how many RPM you're doing. Initially it's like - oh look I'm doing 3500 at 60 mph - then you start thinking - hang on I used to do 75 mph without worrying, and now I know I'm doing 4200 rpm, oh no that's too much, I'd better slow down. After a while I started ignoring the tacho and now I'm happier. IMO not really worth it, unless you're concerned about rpm.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Hello Clean,
My early bay has the spots mounted inside the bumper, a previous owner cut 2 round holes in it and welded a short section of round tubing. The spots then mount inside this, I haven't seen it on any other busses yet but looks nice.
I'm looking at led bulbs for my one, partly due to using less power but also they don't produce as much heat and I'm not sure if they will overheat.
Dave

i put in a few relays and new cables and then mk1 Golf headlights with H4 bulbs. Its a bit more work but makes best use of existing lighting.... spotlights are a nice idea but you might just be masking an existing (compromised) lighting system by adding another layer of lighting

We have a taco fitted its a Sunpro Super tac III not everybody's cup of tea but we like it

We also have a couple of spots fitted to the front bumper
with a nice original VW switch
If you do go for spots fit a relay its easy to do just get a wiring diagram off the net

Best gauges on the market are Autometer, sadly they are also the most expensive but they are accurate.
I’ve got a tach, oil pressure and oil temp in the autometer sport comp 2 range in my bus.

Imo tach and oil temp are musts in an air cooled Vw, can’t understand why they never came with them. Soooo many vw engines are killed by being over heated or revved too hard.

Latest posts