Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great work Stu.
When you changed your perished fuel lines which ones did you go for ?

As the one I have just changed off the fuel tank is the same ones you just replace (Coz they Perished!) :shock:

Myvanway said:
Great work Stu.
When you changed your perished fuel lines which ones did you go for ?

As the one I have just changed off the fuel tank is the same ones you just replace (Coz they Perished!) :shock:

Hi buddy - I bought this kit

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/380882991906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Volksbolts R9 kit - not cheap but small change for piece of mind

No worries mate - I actually enjoy this part of the year, preparing the bus for our adventures replacing tired parts and generally learning more about the bus!

Not sure how much fun undersealing is going to be though! :msn4:

Well here is a slight update!

Been under the bus most evenings scraping off the old stonechip that was starting to peel off! Some of it wanted to come off very easily however other parts were stuck fast like sh*t to a blanket!

Whilst scraping away in the front wheel arches I managed to scrape away a little more than stonechip as my scraper dissapeared into the rot I found, it was hidden under a thick layer of stonechip and seems to have been caused by a drain hole being blocked - was exactly the same on the other side! In 2 years this is the very first (small) amount of rust that has been found!

Some pics

Scraped off the stonechip to find this (inner wheel arch RHS)

Ao8Y4.jpg

Got my mighty dremmel out and got rid of the rotten metal

7k0TX.jpg

Finger for scale! lol
rqWLQ.jpg

Here is a pic of the other wheel arch - looks very minor and I wouldnt have spotted it normally

YTnWi.jpg

oFeTR.jpg

Bit more cutting

r1Qix.jpg

Dressed off the edges and applied some primer

tdf45.jpg

All booked in @PerfectPaint in Lincoln for the welding and some TLC so not too serious, I would have loved to have a go at repairing it myself but I dont have any welding gear!

To break the monotony of scrapey scrapey and getting stonechip and clag in my face eyes - everywhere I decided to give the wheels some loving! Had the new skinny front tyres fitted on Friday so needed to give them a good waxing and put some of that tyre black stuff on! They they look sweet

The rears came off with no issues - didnt even have to drop the suspension!

V5uJB.jpg

uSLF9.jpg

145/65/15 Fronts :msn4:

GKojC.jpg

vNFkA.jpg

195/60/15 Rears :D

3XmS4.jpg

Rear width compared to front!

teKR3.jpg

iqXPm.jpg

Best I get back out there and continue scraping! :lol:

A real shitter when you find rot on your bus, but if that's all you've got stu happy days 8) nice easy and quick fix 8)

And stop showing off those wheels it's not fair :msn4: :lol: :lol:

mike202 said:
nice work Stu as usual, you're brave taking the dremel to the bus! :lol:

Cheers Mike - I took a look at some other threads where some serious rot was removed and thought its only what the guy repairing it would do! I was pretty pleased it was all I found, so off I went getting sparks in my hair and mouth - did have goggles on though so still have my eyes!

Going to treat the inside of the panel with some dinotrol before sealing it up again to try and prevent it returning - I have had some good advice from "The Experts" - cheers Stuart!

Its a horrible job scraping off all the old flakey stonechip but will be worth it in the end when its all cleaned up and has fresh protection back on again and will be good for another couple of trips - not looking forward to doing the underneath though! Might need a full body suit to stop getting covered in it.

Love the wheels "a good brake from the norm” and the work Evilben has done, keep up the good work, lovely Westy ;)
Greetings from Holland, mycha

mychatype3 said:
Love the wheels "a good brake from the norm” and the work Evilben has done, keep up the good work, lovely Westy ;)
Greetings from Holland, mycha

Cheers Mycha! 8)
Not quite in the same league as your bus - and I would do time :msn4: (in prison) :msn4: for your garage!

StuF” said:
Cheers Mycha! 8)
Not quite in the same league as your bus - and I would do time :msn4: (in prison) :msn4: for your garage!

Thanks dude, yes i love my garage worked hard and long for it (build it almost my self with friends in the evening and weekends).
Greetings mycha

Were you dropping the van off at perfect paint this morning? Sure it was you that shot past me :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

67westy said:
Were you dropping the van off at perfect paint this morning? Sure it was you that shot past me :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yep that was me - Bus is now at Perfect Paint awaiting some tlc!
Not sure how long it will take - better be ready for Aircooled 14! :shock:

Murphy currently has a Ferrari 308 as a neighbour
IMAG3129.jpg

My protégé is currently fabbing some panels.
As suspected a nice original bus has the nice original polystyrene sound deadening that likes to melt when it gets warm - hence the removed indicator!
IMAG3128.jpg

ProfessorWheeto said:
Murphy currently has a Ferrari 308 as a neighbour
lbjVo.jpg

My protégé is currently fabbing some panels.
As suspected a nice original bus has the nice original polystyrene sound deadening that likes to melt when it gets warm - hence the removed indicator!
gTAF6.jpg

Great pics mate - good to know Murphy is in good hands!
Feel like an expectant parent waiting to get him back! :lol: :msn4:

[img=600x400]https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10353383_693627957340282_7488371932306206416_o.jpg[/img]
Welding complete, just need to stonechip tomorrow and then it's just a case of doing those deluxe trims. Got some dodgy bloke called Strongy doing them, he abuses me and demands hot drinks otherwise he won't work! :p

Awesome news - say hi to Strongy for me! I still remember him saying how easy those trims were to fit outside his unit last year!
I am sure he will make light work of it!

Cheers Scotty!

Latest posts