Swivel feet valve adjuters. Ball or Elephant type on larger T1 engines ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulcalf

Reaction score
One of my ball style swivel feet valve adjusters has broken off (photo attached).
12 years/(20k+ miles use.

Should I replace them all with ball style or elephant feet style?
Experience from larger T1 engine owners appreciated please.

latebayers (mainly with Type 4 engines) are saying replace with elephant style made from tool steel.
http://www.tp-technologie.de/produkte ventileinstellsch en.htm

Engine builder said I can change to elephant feet style valve adjusters without issue, but to buy the best available.

Awaiting a reply from TP adjusters about their tool hardened steel ones.

Called coolair. He preferred the ball type rather than elephant feet style as they have had elephant feet ones fail!

Called stateside who listed elephant feet style tool hardened ones on their site.
They told me they have stopped doing them for T1 engines as they had quite a few failures.
They said ball types have less failures and suggested I stick with that type.

So direct experience of use by T1 owners greatly appreciated.

Engine info:
2110cc Type 1 engine
WEB 1 1 1 camshaft
272/272 degrees of advertised duration, & 238/238 degrees of duration at .050". Lift 0.476". Lobe centre 108
Rockers are 1.1
Cut to length pushrods
Scat Cam Followers
Tappets are .004" when cold
Mofoco 40x35.5 valve heads
Dual valve springs
Chromoly Caps

Attachments

• flat side PXL_20240809_170821461.MP.jpg
    flat side PXL_20240809_170821461.MP.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Anything from Thorsen Pieper is going to be of outstanding quality, I use his tool steel lifters in my engines. Never use elephant foot adjusters myself (personal preference) but I'm sure TP’s will be more then suitable for your set up

Anything from Thorsen Pieper is going to be of outstanding quality, I use his tool steel lifters in my engines. Never use elephant foot adjusters myself (personal preference) but I'm sure TP’s will be more then suitable for your set up
What valve adjusters do you have in yours?

From memory that is what we used on the race beetle and that did 7500 rpm (or more as daughter would not tell me!!) That was with a full race cam on the 1903 cc and a 110 in the 1679cc

Latest posts