Tyre advice

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Theworm71

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
M-codes
474751 A41 141 191 793
Any input welcome here.

My bus had been sat for quite some time before I bought it and the tyres were flat.
Pumped them up to drive it home and they’ve definitely seen better days. They’re quite perished.
So… replacements!
I’m just looking to get some budget ones atm to keep me rolling. I’ll upgrade at a later date.
Tyres are currently 175/55R15 on the front and 185/65R15 on the back is there a reason for the two different sizes?
The bus has been lowered slightly but is in now way slammed. There’s loads of room.
The wheels are BRM Speedways in black.
(Looking to sell these in a couple of months, with the new tyres on)

Hi,
Apologies in advance if you already know most of this...

In very simple terms, there are quite a few ways to lower a bus. Depending on the amount of lowering/drop you want to achieve, you can swap or modify original parts (beam, shocks, spindles, tyres, tubs etc).

Each way comes with it's own pro's/con's;

Focusing just on your front tyres, usually on lowered busses (not all), smaller tyres are preferred as they increase the amount of drop; Getting the bus lower to the ground. Also, after lowering the space between the tyre & wheel arch/tub is now much closer, which in certain driving conditions/weighty passenger, can cause an original sized tyre to rub on the wheel arch/tub.

There's plenty of bods on here who know loads more & have also lowered many, many VW's.

I think the reason why the 175/55/15 have been fitted on the front is due to the poor offset on the BRMs, any bigger tyres will rub on lock or when the suspension bottoms out when the bus is loaded.
Also you've probably not got much clearance on the back between the rear tyre and the inner arch due to the wheel offset.

Hi,
Apologies in advance if you already know most of this...

In very simple terms, there are quite a few ways to lower a bus. Depending on the amount of lowering/drop you want to achieve, you can swap or modify original parts (beam, shocks, spindles, tyres, tubs etc).

Each way comes with it's own pro's/con's;

Focusing just on your front tyres, usually on lowered busses (not all), smaller tyres are preferred as they increase the amount of drop; Getting the bus lower to the ground. Also, after lowering the space between the tyre & wheel arch/tub is now much closer, which in certain driving conditions/weighty passenger, can cause an original sized tyre to rub on the wheel arch/tub.

There's plenty of bods on here who know loads more & have also lowered many, many VW's.
Hi, thanks for the reply. No apology necessary. I’m completely new to this so any advice/info is helpful.
I’m not too sure what method was used to lower it but it’s minimal.

I think the reason why the 175/55/15 have been fitted on the front is due to the poor offset on the BRMs, any bigger tyres will rub on lock or when the suspension bottoms out when the bus is loaded.
Also you've probably not got much clearance on the back between the rear tyre and the inner arch due to the wheel offset.
This makes sense. Thank you.
I’m not a fan of the wheels to be honest. Once I’ve had it serviced I’ll see how big the hole in my pocket is 🫣 and make a plan for new wheels and tyres. I really like the Enkei Flat4 but maybe a bit pricey 😬
And, you’re right about the rear tyre clearance. There probably about 25 to 30mm clearance from the inner arch.

Originally and stock would be fourteen inch wheels. However lowering and other mods might dictate lower profiles and the lower tyre profiles are trendier and more fashionable albeit not so comfy. There’s a certain amount of suspension in a decent tyre sidewall. I wouldn’t get too wound up however in how your tyre sizes compare with regular commercial rated tyres which is what you should have on any van. I have on mine and the ride is fab but have run around for roughly a decade with him slightly lowered and with alien tyre profiles. Changing your wheels will dictate knowing your PCD or wheel nut spacing. Stock would’ve been 205 wide five or 112 narrow five, but with modifications anythinis possible.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, just check before you buy anything.

Good heavens! Don’t ever let Nigel see this thread!

That said, my opinion, which is worth less than a penny, is that the teams of German engineers knew what they were doing when they designed these things. Safety first, etc.

My camper has 185-14 c-rated radials on it. The reinforced sidewalls definitely help it to corner and I feel safe and secure since my Westy, my dog and my butt weigh in a 3800 pounds fully loaded. (The bus, not me)

Your bus, your choice. Go ahead and run passenger tyres on it if that floats your boat. Just make sure that you kiss your spouse goodbye, wear your seatbelt and have a good Orthodontist on retainer.

I drove dad’s 1970 tin top for a few years and quite a few highway trips on passenger tires as a poor teenager. They suck! My 71 has proper C rated commercial tires and it rides like my Tacoma

Good heavens! Don’t ever let Nigel see this thread!

That said, my opinion, which is worth less than a penny, is that the teams of German engineers knew what they were doing when they designed these things. Safety first, etc.

My camper has 185-14 c-rated radials on it. The reinforced sidewalls definitely help it to corner and I feel safe and secure since my Westy, my dog and my butt weigh in a 3800 pounds fully loaded. (The bus, not me)

Your bus, your choice. Go ahead and run passenger tyres on it if that floats your boat. Just make sure that you kiss your spouse goodbye, wear your seatbelt and have a good Orthodontist on retainer.
Well, there you go. I had no idea they originally came with commercial tyres. Makes complete sense though!
I’ve just gone and spent money on passenger tyres 🫣. Live and learn as they say. I bought x4 budget tyres as I’ll be replacing wheels and tyres before spring next year and I won’t be using the bus over those winter months. Too much snow and salt on the road.
I’ve got a few journeys planned but it’ll only be me in the bus and it won’t be loaded up so I’m sure it’ll be fine.

Thanks for the half a Penny’s worth. Gave me a wealth of knowledge

I have Conti Vanco2 tryes on mine 185/60R15 front & 195/70R15 at the rear, one went flat in the garage mysteriously a few years ago and held air ever since and I change a valve on an other recently due to a slow puncture. Looking at my notes they've been on since 2013 which I am honestly shocked at :unsure: Guess I should be changing them soon!

Does anyone have experience with the Maxxis WormDrive? I really like the look of them and I reckon they’ll be great for those Welsh valleys and lanes.
I’ve seen them on a few buses on the internet but none in real life.

Does anyone have experience with the Maxxis WormDrive? I really like the look of them and I reckon they’ll be great for those Welsh valleys and lanes.
With your forum name, these tyres are a match made in heaven surely lol. Think @ozziedog has them?

Worth going through tyres sites and looking at specifications on tyres to get the best balance of road noise, fuel efficiency, weather suitability etc. Once you look at load ratings etc you'll soon see that many many modern car/suv tyres are perfectly acceptable on a bus.

Yep I run Maxxis Worm Drives on my crewcab, but its completely stock height, I think you might struggle with sizes if you are lowered at the front. I run 195R14's all round.

Yep I run Maxxis Worm Drives on my crewcab, but its completely stock height, I think you might struggle with sizes if you are lowered at the front. I run 195R14's all round.

Not sure if they’re available in 15s but they could be. I got them on mine but I’m not lowered anymore, I’ve gone for a bit more suspension with mine now that I’ve got the garage door and lintel raised. Lowered was great but I haven’t got many teeth left nowadays.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, the noise level is fine :)

I had Hancook whitewall tyres on my bus for a few years not even realising they were normal car tyres changed couple months back to a set of falkens c rated tyres cost £400 the set at Wilco you can defo notice the difference

Attachments

• IMG_3958.jpeg
    IMG_3958.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I had Hancook whitewall tyres on my bus for a few years not even realising they were normal car tyres changed couple months back to a set of falkens c rated tyres cost £400 the set at Wilco you can defo notice the difference
What’s the difference?
Noise?
Handling?

Latest posts