What did you do with your early bay today

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I did my valve clearances for the first time on my own :shock:
Then couldn't get a seal on my rocker covers :?
My mate Roy came round armed with his gasket seal gun plus two new cork gaskets now leak free :eek:
Then tackled the carbs again as they were still popping and farting
So with me, Chris(creed99) and Roy we stripped,cleaned and found the accelerator pump arm bent back do that it couldn't move so I straightened it reinstalled carb and walla
Runs like a dream

Thanks guys I'm a happy chappie now

Had some help with taking out driver and passenger seat and removing old crunchy rubber mats under seats.
a3a7y4ah.jpg

Any recommends on a quality replacement of said rubber mats?

Sonoranrunner said:
Had some help with taking out driver and passenger seat and removing old crunchy rubber mats under seats.
a3a7y4ah.jpg

Any recommends on a quality replacement of said rubber mats?

Kieft en klok not cheap though although :shock: I've seen some on flee bay lately not go but look quite good or try and hold out for a good used second hand one

Chris

set out my table out with my new hand made tablecloth managed to find a retro teapot and cosy and some gaydon 70s crockery also fitted my name plaque i bought on ebay :) :)

DSC00568.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

DSC00570.jpg

happy days

Not a lot! Fitted one cupboard door, went in to the shed to fetch out some more bits and found the inside of the shed wet! Spent the rest of the afternoon re-roofing the shed with my lad. Much to his annoyance as I interupted his social life (read texting girlfriend!) :roll:

Took it to the rolling road to have it set up properly. A chap at work recommended his mates in Alfreton, Peter Burgess, its not far from me so I thought I'd give them a go. Pete and Keith are really good blokes. Keith has a really nice splitty as well as a work in progress '72 like mine, he even said some of the folk off here have been in. Very reasonable as well so I'd definately recommend them. Wasn't as scary as I thought either!

Made 100.0 BHP at the wheels. Approx roughly 20 lost through the trans so about 120 at the flywheel :D :D I was hoping for around 100 at the fly so I'm a happy bloke to say the least!! Drives a bit nicer now to, just hope its better on the juice as well - only time will tell.

Here are a couple of pics, wish I'd got a video it sounds good at 5.5K!

2012-10-17%252010.43.13.jpg

2012-10-17%252010.43.31.jpg

I'll tell you if you promise not to think less of me :( .......

........2.0 litre ford pinto :oops: :oops: - I know, I know its cheating a bit, I would have loved a nice aircooled lump but my van came engineless and I just couldn't afford one. This set up set me back sub £400 (lot of work and a bit of luck involved, but I had the time and not the cash). 120 brake and 130 ft/lbs for that money seems like a bit of a result to me.

So here she is:
DSC_0229.jpg

Popped over to a recommended bodyshop for a quote on repairing a couple of holes. Was very encouraged when he looked underneath and told me it was a good one (a couple of other people told me that five years ago when I bought it but it's nice to know it's still a good one).

Was even happier when he told me how much and how long to sort the work out - a day or two and very reasonable money. Will be done late Movember...

steamo said:
I'll tell you if you promise not to think less of me :( .......

........2.0 litre ford pinto :oops: :oops: - I know, I know its cheating a bit, I would have loved a nice aircooled lump but my van came engineless and I just couldn't afford one. This set up set me back sub £400 (lot of work and a bit of luck involved, but I had the time and not the cash). 120 brake and 130 ft/lbs for that money seems like a bit of a result to me.

So here she is:
DSC_0229.jpg

Nice 8) 8)

Where have you hidden the rad? In between the chassis rails ?

Was going to ask the same regarding the rad.
maybe you can tell the brazilians you dont need a sideboard attached to the nose :msn4:

Jimbly said:
Popped over to a recommended bodyshop for a quote on repairing a couple of holes. Was very encouraged when he looked underneath and told me it was a good one (a couple of other people told me that five years ago when I bought it but it's nice to know it's still a good one).

Was even happier when he told me how much and how long to sort the work out - a day or two and very reasonable money. Will be done late Movember...

Evning. What bodyshop in Bedford are you using?

Rich

Took the battery out and put it on charge after trying to go out in it early today, flat as a fart!, still got no brake or rear lights either!, getting fed up!

Went over to Baldock in the end, to Classic Car Revivals. Very nice bloke...

vwvanman0 said:
Ford engine looks good in there,and you would never know from the exterior,well done

68_early_bay said:
Nice 8) 8)

Where have you hidden the rad? In between the chassis rails ?

BigG said:
Was going to ask the same regarding the rad.
maybe you can tell the brazilians you dont need a sideboard attached to the nose

Cheers guys, the idea was always to keep it low profile, can't abide VW Brazils idea (but I suppose that is for purely utilitarian purposes). The rad is between the chassis rails. Took a couple of attempts to get the cooling to work, I did almost give up and try a fake spare wheel on the front but I'm glad I persevered as its working fine now. I think it fits the original brief that 99% of people wouldn't be able to rumble my dark secret by looking at the exterior of the van. Certainly goes well :mrgreen:

I started hearing a metal to metal sound when I was moving slow/coasting. When I applied the brakes it went away and when I was moving at a decent speed I didn't hear it. Today I put it on the lift and removed my drums to check things out. All was good, but all of them had a lot of brake dust in them. Blew all that out and then put things back together.

My emergency brake was not holding very well anymore so I decided to adjust the brakes. I also had my hubby help me bleed them again. The last time I bled them I did it on my own and although I could stop the bus decently, I knew they needed bled again because of being able to get the pedal to go up by pumping it once. After adjusting and bleeding them I was amazed at the difference. For one, my emergency brake barely comes out now. Before it moved out almost to the end.

While bleeding the brakes hubby noticed the driver side tie rod was no good. So off to the parts store I went.

IMG_4698.jpg

The only thing I don't like about my accomplishments today is, now I will have a hard time doing the "heel toe" thing at stops. LOL When I first start the bus the choke works great and keeps the bus running, but by the time I get to the first light (maybe 5 blocks away) the engine wants to die. I do the heel toe thing at that light and the next stop sign. By the time I get about a mile down the road, the bus runs great and idles good. Guess a carburetor cleaning has moved up on the "to do" list! :D

Latest posts