You got to love a white Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dogo said:
Forgive my ignorance, I'm probably missing something very obvious, but... Why the switch from the Gabriel's to the shockwaves? If I'm not mistaken, don't the shockwaves have less stroke?

No problem, on paper the Gabriels have more stroke but in practice they are not powerful enough to get that full stroke!
With torsion bars in the beam and set on preload (to help with the lift) the lift is max. 7/8cm on 200psi (that is the max use of the Gabriel 8) ). I drive them on 120/140psi so 4/5cm lift, (good, save and comfortable).

The Shockwaves will lift the westy easy, on 80/100psi there is already max lift. Even when i released the torsions (adjuster free) the shockwaves lift the bus (on it's own power) as seen in the video.

Overall the Shockwave is a better shock, it has to be :lol: because it's 10times expensive :p :p :p

Greetings mycha

Hi there
I'm normaly a reader than a writer but had to post and say what an awesome van and thread!!
Its taken ages to read not helped by branching off to eBay etc to look for new parts your inspireing me to get!
I now really want some air shocks for the rear of my van! Just to lift it up an inch or so to stop the exhaust catching my stupid drive!
So I might be asking some questions in the future
Just wondering was there a lot of difference between the Monroe's and Gabriel's for the rear as strugling to find anyone to post Gabriel's to uk I can get the Monroe's or do you think I should hang on for the Gabriel's
Cheers in advance
Tony

Rhodes4130 said:
Hi there
I'm normaly a reader than a writer but had to post and say what an awesome van and thread!!
Its taken ages to read not helped by branching off to eBay etc to look for new parts your inspireing me to get!
I now really want some air shocks for the rear of my van! Just to lift it up an inch or so to stop the exhaust catching my stupid drive!
So I might be asking some questions in the future
Just wondering was there a lot of difference between the Monroe's and Gabriel's for the rear as strugling to find anyone to post Gabriel's to uk I can get the Monroe's or do you think I should hang on for the Gabriel's
Cheers in advance
Tony

Thanks, i love to be creative and i happy to have a hobby to clear my mind from the daytime-job ;)

The Monroe’s are fine but the Gabriels are fare better because the have a metal sleeve around the bag (so they lift better 8) )
I bought my Gabriels through Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMCCB2/ref=cm_sw_su_dp
Especially for the rear (because of the weight from the van) i prefer the Gabriels.

If you have any questions, no problem, let me know.

Greetings from Holland, mycha

Super cheers for that Gabriels it is then i will give amazon a try

Great hobby to have tinkering with a old van,
My Misses don't think so tho as seem to never get jobs on the house done!
There is always something more important to do on the van :lol:
Cheers keep up the good work
Tony

I love your van!

I got some air shocks for the front, but then sold them on, as I was told they can bottom out if you are very low at the front. Do you have this problem?

->Adam

adamski said:
I love your van!

I got some air shocks for the front, but then sold them on, as I was told they can bottom out if you are very low at the front. Do you have this problem?

->Adam

Thanks, the gabriels are max in 32,5cm my westy (eye to eye shock) is 37cm so no bottom out ;)

mychatype3 said:
This weekend i painted the underside of the van (photo’s will follow), when waiting on parts to start the buildup i made a start with some interior modifications.

Last holiday (weddingtrip to Norway :D ) it becomes clear to us that making coffee or preparing al little meal in the van is the way to go when it rains! So i bought a universal top with a sink and two gas-burners, a original Westy table top and made them fit together :D New style meets old style :msn4:

P1020202.jpg

P1020201.jpg

P1020200.jpg

Next modification will be a drawer under the sink.

With a working fridge on gas ( also 12v + 220v) and the two gasburners-stove a small bleu campinggaz bottle is not enough (and expensive :oops: ) so i made some room in the Westy buddyseat :shock: with the cushion back on you cant see it.

Next step is to make a exhaust for the fridge, some piping for the gas and the water maintenance ;)

P1020203.jpg

Greetings Mycha

This has to be one of favourite bays out there

could you let me know the make and model number of the fridge please
Cheers
Sam

adamski said:
Gabriels through Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AMCCB2/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

Shockwave 7000 http://www.ridetech.com/store/7000-series-single-adjustable-shockwave-system-5-stroke-bearing-mount.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

So excuse me for being silly. Which do you have on the front?

4 years already I drive airshocks, 3 years the monroe’s (ma 824) and the last year the Gebriels (49230).
Last week i bought the ride tech shockwaves fore more lows and higher lift 8) still testing ;)

13window said:
This has to be one of favourite bays out there, could you let me know the make and model number of the fridge please, Cheers Sam

Thanks, RM180C elextrolux

Greetings mycha

Hand-baggage was full :lol: yesterday collect 7 crown/pinion wheels and a superdiff for the 002 gearboxes.
Al parts where sold before order so that was a sweet deal for me :p

Update for my gearbox will be the crown/pinion 4:57 and the superdiff matched to a 2110cc engine :msn4:

Greetz mycha

Started to bag the rear, looked through several bag-forums (a lot of American-muscles :oops: ) i'm going to copy this idea 8) sorry for the bad (iphone)photo's:

Greetings Mycha

Watching with interest Mycha, I'm sure as always it will top notch

Read the entirety of this thread a few times. Stunning bus and amazing amount of work you put into it.

mychatype3 said:
87845.jpg

87844.jpg

Collecting brakparts.

Hi Mycha,

nice job, but I have questions for you...how you cleaning complete chassis? Some chemicals or hard force?

Thanks Tomas from the Czech republic.

suhaj said:
Hi Mycha,

nice job, but I have questions for you...how you cleaning complete chassis? Some chemicals or hard force?

Thanks Tomas from the Czech republic.

Hello Tomas, hard work :D sandpaper and some tools, greets Mycha

Latest posts